Silver dawn dress code

TR1963

I’m always amused by how these dress-code topics keep cropping up. I agree that the current reality boils down to: the mix of the passengers on a particular cruise with the staff turning a blind eye to violators. At the risk of offending someone I would put forward the notion of why we have formality at all? Traditionally it was to make dining and other public socializing special. One would dress up to go to a nice restaurant and to perhaps admire the other patrons and how elegant they looked in an elaborate dining room. The staff was equally well dressed, and everything just worked. Now we seem to have kept the formality of the venue and staff and basically allowed the patrons to get lazy and only think about themselves. I think it’s rather silly to have a formal dining room with the staff dressed up and the patrons not dressed appropriately. I actually think it’s a bit disrespectful to the staff.

Personally I’m a refueler, when hungry, and am perfectly happy to eat on the go or get fast food in my daywear. However it is very nice to participate in a special formal outing with my wife and enjoy the whole experience. I don’t want to do it every night but, especially on a cruise, I want to do something special.

I suspect there are two contributing factors that have pushed us into the current situation and I imagine counter-arguers would think:

1. I’ve paid a lot for this cruise and I don’t want to have to do anything I don’t to do - it’s about me!

2. Laziness.

I’ve heard so many times the excuse that I’m too hot, or the tie is too tight etc,. If you can afford to go on these cruises you can afford a better tailor to make better fitting clothes. 

Fortunately on Silversea we do have a choice. You can get dressed up and attempt to keep the traditional manners alive, or just go to the pool or room service to have a casual dinner. By the way, why can’t I swim in my jeans and let my wife swim in her Burka? It’s all about me isn’t it? LOL

• Like 6

On 6/29/2024 at 8:07 AM, Tudorcruisers said:

Jackets are required on the optional formal nights in all indoor areas so it wouldn’t just be for La Dame PinonNoir.   Someone much earlier in this post ie May 5th

posted the full dress code for everyone’s information. 

Understood.  I have booked "The Grill" on our two formal nights.  After dinner we will then relax in our stateroom.  We don't gamble, and we rarely go to shows onboard, so we aren't missing anything.  I'm just glad I don't have to pack a jacket that I will wear for two minutes during a 5 week trip.

7 hours ago, Timbuktu123 said:

I suspect there are two contributing factors that have pushed us into the current situation and I imagine counter-arguers would think:

1. I’ve paid a lot for this cruise and I don’t want to have to do anything I don’t to do - it’s about me!

2. Laziness.

I’ve heard so many times the excuse that I’m too hot, or the tie is too tight etc,. If you can afford to go on these cruises you can afford a better tailor to make better fitting clothes. 

I hate ties.  I hate the feeling of something even semi-tight around my neck.  Buying a shirt with a larger collar and then putting a tie on that same shirt looks lame.  I hate the Croats for ever having invented the damn things!

Wearing a jacket at dinner is not comfortable.  I get hot...I'm hot all the time.  It could be 60 degrees in the restaurant and I'd get hot with a jacket on.  I don't do hot tubs or saunas or the Arizona desert because I hate being hot!  I will never understand why people get hot on purpose?? 

A collared shirt and slacks look fine...if you want to dress up then do so, I don't care.  Being upset that I'm not wearing a jacket or a tie means it must be about "you", not me.

15 hours ago, Timbuktu123 said:

I’m always amused by how these dress-code topics keep cropping up. I agree that the current reality boils down to: the mix of the passengers on a particular cruise with the staff turning a blind eye to violators. At the risk of offending someone I would put forward the notion of why we have formality at all? Traditionally it was to make dining and other public socializing special. One would dress up to go to a nice restaurant and to perhaps admire the other patrons and how elegant they looked in an elaborate dining room. The staff was equally well dressed, and everything just worked. Now we seem to have kept the formality of the venue and staff and basically allowed the patrons to get lazy and only think about themselves. I think it’s rather silly to have a formal dining room with the staff dressed up and the patrons not dressed appropriately. I actually think it’s a bit disrespectful to the staff.

Personally I’m a refueler, when hungry, and am perfectly happy to eat on the go or get fast food in my daywear. However it is very nice to participate in a special formal outing with my wife and enjoy the whole experience. I don’t want to do it every night but, especially on a cruise, I want to do something special.

2. Laziness.

Fortunately on Silversea we do have a choice. You can get dressed up and attempt to keep the traditional manners alive, or just go to the pool or room service to have a casual dinner. By the way, why can’t I swim in my jeans and let my wife swim in her Burka? It’s all about me isn’t it? LOL

Well stated.

All good points. I dislike wearing a jacket and ties aren’t required but I’ll make the small sacrifice and throw one on to ensure I make my wife happy and we can fully enjoy and take advantage of all the venues.  I am one of those that walks in with it and leaves it on back of chair even for restroom trips but I am still following the rules. 

We're booked on a SS Antarctica cruise.  It seems silly to lug around a jacket on what is allegedly an expedition ship.  When we were on a similar A&K trip years ago they defined "formal" as meaning at least shoes and a clean T-shirt. Seemed a lot more appropriate for the trip than what the British nobility on board chose to wear every night.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't really have to add a jacket to my luggage since I use it as my travel jacket. Otherwise I wouldn't have all the pockets to put my phone, passport, wallet etc. We do fly business so the amount of suitcases doesn't really matter, but I guess if you have to pay through the nose for luggage, trimming the formalwear down is practical. 

I am looking at SS for the first time now the dress code has been amended. I can handle bringing a jacket  and tie but I always associate a suit with work or a funeral! I usually pick Azamara or Oceania am pleased this opens up more options to cruise.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

I hate ties.  I hate the feeling of something even semi-tight around my neck.  Buying a shirt with a larger collar and then putting a tie on that same shirt looks lame.  I hate the Croats for ever having invented the damn things!

Wearing a jacket at dinner is not comfortable.  I get hot...I'm hot all the time.  It could be 60 degrees in the restaurant and I'd get hot with a jacket on.  I don't do hot tubs or saunas or the Arizona desert because I hate being hot!  I will never understand why people get hot on purpose?? 

A collared shirt and slacks look fine...if you want to dress up then do so, I don't care.  Being upset that I'm not wearing a jacket or a tie means it must be about "you", not me.

How many times do we have to say: NO TIE!

Our first Silversea cruise isn’t until next year, but I have been following along with interest.  I must say, the focus on what men can/should/must wear to dinner and around the ship leaves me giggling 😆😂😁.  How refreshing that we ladies get to sit back and enjoy the banter!

Personally, I’m a bit more interested by the sea worthiness of the vessel, the quality of the food/beverage and service, and meeting friendly/engaging fellow passengers than what shoes, shirts, and jackets men wear in the evenings.  Most cruisers on a luxury line are astute enough to strike a reasonable balance between “jacket and tie, of course” and “no shirt, no shoes, no service.”

Dressing up and dressing down is a personal choice.  Fortunately, what you wear doesn’t affect the taste of your dinner.  Perhaps we should embrace the diversity and respect that everyone feels comfortable wearing different apparel.  This is especially true with international clientele and cultural differences.

The discussion reminds me of the time my Dad went to the costume party on a ship (50 years ago) dressed in a “jacket and tie” shirtless with his boxers 🤣🤣🤣.  He strictly interpreted “jacket and tie, of course”.  That was then, this is now.  The only thing constant is change 😊.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Dressing up and dressing down is a personal choice.  Fortunately, what you wear doesn’t affect the taste of your dinner.  Perhaps we should embrace the diversity and respect that everyone feels comfortable wearing different apparel.  This is especially true with international clientele and cultural differences.

The discussion reminds me of the time my Dad went to the costume party on a ship (50 years ago) dressed in a “jacket and tie” shirtless with his boxers 🤣🤣🤣.  He strictly interpreted “jacket and tie, of course”.  That was then, this is now.  The only thing constant is change 😊

Since your father very nearly managed it for me, let me take your first paragraph to reductio ad absurdum, and suggest that there are clients and cultures who would have no issue with topless dining - or possibly beyond.  It's only a matter of time, I'm sure, until the Bliss cruises offer topless dining.

In 99% of these posts, the real difference is the extent to which any given poster is personally willing to go in their tolerance of dining attire.  Just because they haven't reached their limit yet in Atlantide doesn't mean there isn't a limit.  And that said, many already have reached that limit while others have not, and you hear them both here.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 6:13 PM, Woofbite said:

We're booked on a SS Antarctica cruise.  It seems silly to lug around a jacket on what is allegedly an expedition ship.  When we were on a similar A&K trip years ago they defined "formal" as meaning at least shoes and a clean T-shirt. Seemed a lot more appropriate for the trip than what the British nobility on board chose to wear every night.

Which members of the nobility are you referring to? Or are you just taking a snipe at those Britts that make an effort to dress for dinner? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Since your father very nearly managed it for me, let me take your first paragraph to reductio ad absurdum, and suggest that there are clients and cultures who would have no issue with topless dining - or possibly beyond.  It's only a matter of time, I'm sure, until the Bliss cruises offer topless dining.

In 99% of these posts, the real difference is the extent to which any given poster is personally willing to go in their tolerance of dining attire.  Just because they haven't reached their limit yet in Atlantide doesn't mean there isn't a limit.  And that said, many already have reached that limit while others have not, and you hear them both here.

Point well taken.  However, one can look to the red carpet of any Hollywood event/gala to see the extremes formal attire take. Jackets/dresses/pants can be long, short, transparent, or so voluminous you can’t fit through the door.  A standard can’t possibly be written to cover all the potential variations.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Point well taken.  However, one can look to the red carpet of any Hollywood event/gala to see the extremes formal attire take.

... a few of which would be considered by some to be completely tasteless, no matter the designer or the cost.  But if you'll note, the vast majority of the red carpet extremes are on the female side, often with the apparent objective to pay as much as possible for as little fabric as possible. 😄

Nearly all of the males come dressed to an awards banquet dressed just about as you would expect, with only a few tweaks (e.g., collar shapes) over a great many years.  Few wear their baseball hats and jeans to collect their awards, even though baseball hats, for whatever reason, seem to be the thing when in the director's chair these days.

Yet it seems it's the men here who put up the most fuss about 'dressing for dinner' -- anywhere -- but especially on a cruise.  And the standards for men are far more easily written, and hence, more easily followed if one is at all interested in doing so.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Which members of the nobility are you referring to? Or are you just taking a snipe at those Britts that make an effort to dress for dinner? 

He was a Baron.  The lady was in a different outfit and jewelry and he was in a tuxedo every night .  They did look elegant and far above everyone else.  (They also had to rush home immediately after the cruise to attend the Grand National horse race.)

On 5/8/2024 at 10:49 AM, ikelmay said:

To be honest, I'm slightly paranoid right now as I'm about to try Silversea for the first time, having come from Regent's slightly more laid back dress code.  The last thing I want is for a bunch of seasoned cruisers onboard giving me the eyeball for misinterpreting the dress standards.

We've only just considered SS as we are happy with less formal requirements, so I want to make sure that I can manage with a jacket on formal optional and a dress shirt on other nights.  I'm pretty sure I'm reading the new conditions accurately, so here's hoping!!

Just returned from a 12 night cruise on the Silver Ray. There was ONE formal optional night (I believe night 3 and a polo shirt with blazer was fine for my Husband. Honestly I saw blazers and khakis and tuxes (a handful).  It was no big deal and I finally confirmed that the hubub on this forum along with FB create far more drama than reality, thankfully. Enjoy your cruise. We sure did. 

On 5/5/2024 at 11:49 AM, TR1963 said:

On the informal nights on silver dawn do they strictly enforce the’ jackets rule ‘for the men? Will slacks and a button down shirt suffice for the Main dining venue?

Silver Ray there was only one formal night and I didnt pay attention. We ate in the main dining room and my husband wore a sport coat with a polo shirt with no problem.  I assume that they would pass out jackets but hard to tell if they did that or not. 

On 5/8/2024 at 2:51 PM, Kauaijim said:

We have a 25 trio coming up so a blazer will worn but since they say nothing about shoes other than closed( thank goodness)  my sllbirds will be on my feet 

Allbirds are great. My husband wore those, sketchers and cole hahn 'sneakers' most nights.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:29 PM, PinonNoir said:

So if I'm reading this policy correctly, my upcoming 10 day cruise (Norway and Denmark) has two formal nights, and eight informal nights, which means a jacket will be required for most restaurants and interior spaces for just two nights?  We're traveling for a total of 5 weeks, and I really don't want to pack a jacket that I will only wear twice.  Looks like I'll just dine at The Grill on two nights and call it a night afterwards!

It also appears from some comments that you don't have to wear the jacket while dining, just from the entrance to your seat?  So I'd pack the jacket so I can wear it for 2 total minutes?

Agree. We just returned from Silver Ray and my Husband lugged the blazer only to wear it for dinner once (on our 12 day cruise there was only one formal optional night) and took it off immediately after.

On 6/30/2024 at 3:49 PM, PinonNoir said:

Understood.  I have booked "The Grill" on our two formal nights.  After dinner we will then relax in our stateroom.  We don't gamble, and we rarely go to shows onboard, so we aren't missing anything.  I'm just glad I don't have to pack a jacket that I will wear for two minutes during a 5 week trip.

Perfect solution although you will find that you can go to the bar without any drama and no need to rush to your room.