Packing for August

floridafish

I detest checking bags at airports or cruise ships for that matter. I just completed a 16night TA with just a carry on and side bag with minimal laundry cleaned on board and managed fine.

Are there less temp swings in Alaska during August. Am I nuts not taking larger suitcase?

As frequently discussed here, weather in Alaska can vary frequently, even several times in a day. Its all about layers, with the outer layer needs to be wind and waterproof.

It would seem very difficult not to have a checked bag. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, floridafish said:

I detest checking bags at airports or cruise ships for that matter. I just completed a 16night TA with just a carry on and side bag with minimal laundry cleaned on board and managed fine.

Are there less temp swings in Alaska during August. Am I nuts not taking larger suitcase?

Other than outerwear, I wouldn't wear anything more than twice without washing it.  Checking a bag for a cruise is so simple ... you arrive at the port, someone takes your bag away and it appears in your cabin.  With the incredibly variable Alaska weather, I'd definitely check a bag.  

• Like 1

I agree, hate messing with luggage.  We have done this trip and others in carry on.  I do use vacuum bags for the fleece jackets, wool hats and gloves - they pack down really well.  I take advantage of a bag of laundry to refresh my clothes.  I wear hiking fabric pants which wipe clean easily or dry overnight if they get wet.  I am also happy dressing very plain and limit shoes to flats, sneakers and flip flops.  While not everyone's cup of tea we are good to go this way.  Next week we depart for 14 days and will pack the same.  In August we often wore a tee with a long sleeve shirt over and that was plenty, even down to a tee shirt hiking in Skagway.  Be sure to have a ball cap as it helps keep rain off your face.  

• Like 3

There can be massive temperature swings in Alaska in all of the summer months. August can have days that are quite cool and rainy. You could definitely do it with a carryon if you are content to limit your wardrobe choices and stick to very basic layers.

If I were to try this, I would wear jeans, boots/walking shoes, a turtleneck, pullover and warmer waterproof or water resistant over jacket of some type on the plane to make sure I had a good basic starter wardrobe on my back.

Then I would pack in a hard sided rolling carryon meeting the size requirements: (I think you could make all of the following fit)

One additional pair of jeans

A couple pairs of warm leggings that pack tightly

Maybe one more pullover

Two turtlenecks

One to two pair of lightweight dress pants for dining room evenings (my choice is black)

A couple of nicer lightweight blouses, maybe one dressy enough for formal night 

Lightweight sweater to wear over blouses and turtlenecks to mix it up

A few pairs of warm socks

Black flats to wear on the ship to dinner/other onboard activities

Undergarments

Over the shoulder carryon to take place of purse (you can put purse inside)

Makeup

Hair tools

Medications

Hat/Gloves/Scarf

Disposable plastic rain ponchos

Hand warming packets

This would probably provide a good basic wardrobe, with some regular repeats and at least one load of laundry during your cruise.

DH and I typically only do carryons but for our Alaskan cruise this summer I don’t think we can make it work so we will check one bag plus the carryons.  Men’s stuff just seems to take up more room, such as jeans, khakis, dress shoes. I could probably do it as a woman who is only 5 ft (my stuff is only so big lol.)

1 hour ago, slhealea said:

My husband and I have been on several cruises to Alaska. We never bring more than a carryon size suitcase each, with a backpack each that we place over the handlebars our carryon suitcase, It works great for us

Same here.  Everyone is different obviously (and it depends on your excursions as well), but we've done several Alaskan cruises (all in May) with only carryons.  It just depends on your travel personality - there is no right or wrong way.  We typically only do carryons for travel in general...even for longer 3 or 4 week trips.  We are just "less is more" personalities - so we are fine re-wearing items, doing sink laundry etc

• Like 2