Restriction of Five Star Mariner Loyalty Rewards for Internet Packages.

A recent change to the Mariner Society Rewards program has, in my opinion, all but eliminated the value of the “up to 30$ credit toward any internet package.” On my last cruise I was doing a 7-day back to back with a 21-day. The non Mariner pre-purchase prices were 129$ for the 7-day and 291$ for the 21-day. If I had purchased onboard it was 159$ for the 7-day and 364$ for the 21-day. If the 5 Star reward is to be of any value for me it must save me some money. The very best that it could do is break even if on the 7-day. If I wait until I am onboard to make the purchase (159$) and then apply my discount (159$-30$=129$) I break even. For the 21-day if I wait until I am onboard (364$) and apply my discount (364$-30$=334$) I lose a lot more versus prepaying. A 43$ loss. I did pre-purchase the internet package and I was told by HAL at the time that I would get an onboard credit for the discount, but apparently that is not true., as when I asked I was told such only applies to an onboard purchase. I hope that HAL will reconsider this change and reinstate the internet reward for it’s most loyal customers.

Yes someone on CC in the past few years posted that the Mariner Discount and preboard wifi discount cannot be combined. I pre-purchase the lower wifi. Once onboard they will offer discount to upgrade at which time you can use the $30 benefit to lower the cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve put that in reviews to HAL about the 5* discount for wifi and they should make it 50% off or give it free.  Doesn’t seem like many more perks than a 4* in my opinion. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, REOVA said:

Yes someone on CC in the past few years posted that the Mariner Discount and preboard wifi discount cannot be combined. I pre-purchase the lower wifi. Once onboard they will offer discount to upgrade at which time you can use the $30 benefit to lower the cost. 

Correct - I checked with several offices at HAL and they say that you can only get the $30 credit if you purchased the internet when on board.   I agree that over the last 5 years the 5 Star benefit keeps getting less and less.  Between HIA and club orange people can now buy their way into the benefits rather than those of us that have spent thousands over many cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're in the long, long valley between 4*and 5* with just under 300 days. I could actually use the $30 to upgrade my Surf Wi-Fi to Premium. (For Wi-Fi calling. I hate to miss important calls about extended automobile warranties and replacement windows.)

I'd definitely appreciate the free PG dinners.

Of course, by the time we hit 5 star, who knows what the Have It All will look like.

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

We're in the long, long valley between 4*and 5* with just under 300 days. I could actually use the $30 to upgrade my Surf Wi-Fi to Premium. (For Wi-Fi calling. I hate to miss important calls about extended automobile warranties and replacement windows.)

I’m not sure if they would or not.  the Mariner’s page is not that specific - not sure if an upgrade would be considered a package purchase?  Two screenshots from Mariners page below.

IMG_2396.thumb.jpeg.a099b9acef60dc8d35681b06eacedee6.jpeg

IMG_2397.thumb.jpeg.ddefa419875ea1ef49c3a5643fb24616.jpeg

I would be tempted to call the Mariner’s Society and confirm.  If they say yes, ask for an email and take the paper copy with you “in case”

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

I'd definitely appreciate the free PG dinners.

Honestly, I only want so many PG dinners.  I wish they would let us use it as a credit off the cost of a Cellar Master or Morimoto, etc.  Not free but just the appropriate amount deducted.  I’ll take a Cellar Master over a PG any day of the week 😉 \

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure if they would or not.  the Mariner’s page is not that specific - not sure if an upgrade would be considered a package purchase?  Two screenshots from Mariners page below.

IMG_2396.thumb.jpeg.a099b9acef60dc8d35681b06eacedee6.jpeg

IMG_2397.thumb.jpeg.ddefa419875ea1ef49c3a5643fb24616.jpeg

I would be tempted to call the Mariner’s Society and confirm.  If they say yes, ask for an email and take the paper copy with you “in case”

Honestly, I only want so many PG dinners.  I wish they would let us use it as a credit off the cost of a Cellar Master or Morimoto, etc.  Not free but just the appropriate amount deducted.  I’ll take a Cellar Master over a PG any day of the week 😉 \

I had to upgrade internet on the FLL=>Montreal segment and did get the 5* benefit. YMMV

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I had to upgrade internet on the FLL=>Montreal segment and did get the 5* benefit. YMMV

thanks😊 good news 🤙🏻

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

So can you buy a week at a time and get the $30 discount weekly on a long cruise.  

I agree with @canadianbear the internet surf package should be free or half price 

Not positive but I think you can only get the $30 discount once on the ship no matter how long. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Not positive but I think you can only get the $30 discount once on the ship no matter how long. 

That’s my understanding - one time purchase

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

That’s my understanding - one time purchase

Thanks…I seemed to recall a thread quite awhile ago about someone saying that.  We are not 5* quite yet.