Sapphire Princess May 11, 2024 Cruise Delayed - Propulsion Issues

6 minutes ago, mncbabu_yahoo said:

Is the sailing from Vancouver on May 25 in still planned?

I’m on that one and yes. Princess called me two days ago (not related to this) and I asked about it and they said nothing has changed. And I’ve seen nothing since then saying anything else. 

19 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

You can take a day cruise with 26 Glaciers during your layover in Whittier. You will get closer to glaciers than you get on the cruise ship. Well worth it. 

We have done it before and were considering it but wanted to wait to see what the weather was going to be. I know Whittier is usually rainy. 

It was not an option booking thru Princess until I checked yesterday and is showing sold out. I haven’t checked on booking direct with the operator. 

2 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

We have done it before and were considering it but wanted to wait to see what the weather was going to be. I know Whittier is usually rainy. 

It was not an option booking thru Princess until I checked yesterday and is showing sold out. I haven’t checked on booking direct with the operator. 

I have not done this yet but considering Phillips Glacier Quest Cruise or Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise. They are right near the port.

Posted (edited)

I’m on the Sapphire Princess now. The Captain came over the speakers around noon today with an update. There are crew onboard with the part needed to fix the issue and it seems that it is now replaced. They will be stopping the ship this evening between 8 & 9 pm to reengage the starboard screw (propeller) and run tests. As long as all goes well we should be able to get our scenic cruising in College Fjord tomorrow. So as long as this solves the issue all should be fixed tonight and cruising will resume as per the itinerary. Which, since we are on a b2b cruise, bodes well for our return journey. 

I hope this alleviates the anxiety of those on upcoming journeys. I’ll try to remember to update after the tests this evening. 

Edited by LyndaMR
Spelling error
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 17

4 minutes ago, LyndaMR said:

I’m on the Sapphire Princess now. The Captain came over the speakers around noon today with an update. There are crew onboard with the part needed to fix the issue and it seems that it is now replaced. They will be stopping the ship this evening between 8 & 9 pm to reengage the starboard screw (propeller) and run tests. As long as all goes well we should be able to get our scenic cruising in College Fjord tomorrow. So as long as this solves the issue all should be fixed from tonight and cruising will resume as per the itinerary. Which, since we are on a b2b cruise, bodes well for our return journey. 

I hope this alleviated the anxiety of those on upcoming journeys. I’ll try to remember to update after the tests this evening. 

Thank you so much! Great news if you get some scenic cruising tomorrow too. Fingers crossed for you! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LyndaMR said:

I’m on the Sapphire Princess now. The Captain came over the speakers around noon today with an update. There are crew onboard with the part needed to fix the issue and it seems that it is now replaced. They will be stopping the ship this evening between 8 & 9 pm to reengage the starboard screw (propeller) and run tests. As long as all goes well we should be able to get our scenic cruising in College Fjord tomorrow. So as long as this solves the issue all should be fixed from tonight and cruising will resume as per the itinerary. Which, since we are on a b2b cruise, bodes well for our return journey. 

I hope this alleviated the anxiety of those on upcoming journeys. I’ll try to remember to update after the tests this evening. 

Yay!  

16 minutes ago, LyndaMR said:

I’m on the Sapphire Princess now. The Captain came over the speakers around noon today with an update. There are crew onboard with the part needed to fix the issue and it seems that it is now replaced. They will be stopping the ship this evening between 8 & 9 pm to reengage the starboard screw (propeller) and run tests. As long as all goes well we should be able to get our scenic cruising in College Fjord tomorrow. So as long as this solves the issue all should be fixed tonight and cruising will resume as per the itinerary. Which, since we are on a b2b cruise, bodes well for our return journey. 

I hope this alleviates the anxiety of those on upcoming journeys. I’ll try to remember to update after the tests this evening. 

Oh I so hope you guys get to do that and that all is fixed and your return is all good! Thank you so much for the update!!

52 minutes ago, LyndaMR said:

Thanks so much for sharing! Fingers crossed they can do College Fjord tomorrow - after all you've lost on that voyage, that would be a nice surprise. Looking forward to the update once they run the test!

• Like 1

Any update on the repair? I know the ship is still stopped. I have a girlfriend on the crew and I'd like to know this has come off smoothly given they are doing the repair stopped in the open ocean. 😬

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sea Bronco said:

Any update on the repair? I know the ship is still stopped. I have a girlfriend on the crew and I'd like to know this has come off smoothly given they are doing the repair stopped in the open ocean. 😬

Still sitting probably testing still. Ship is safe even if drifting they do have the one active prop

IMG_5246.png

1 hour ago, Sea Bronco said:

We were going 17 knots according to the screen a minute ago and are going 16 now. There hasn’t been an announcement but considering it was after 10:30 and we were still stopped, I expect an update in the morning. I’m guessing that little box was the testing. 

IMG_7939.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LyndaMR said:

We were going 17 knots according to the screen a minute ago and are going 16 now. There hasn’t been an announcement but considering it was after 10:30 and we were still stopped, I expect an update in the morning. I’m guessing that little box was the testing. 

IMG_7939.jpeg

Fact that the speed is up that high hopefully means it’s fixed 🤞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fpsphil said:

Fact that the speed is up that high hopefully means it’s fixed 🤞

Back to cruising at 15 knts again this morning.

image.png.3d4bbe4725b8122e201a1c1eb5d9e789.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rjhollan said:

image.png.3d4bbe4725b8122e201a1c1eb5d9e789.png

Saw her going 19.4 for a bit last night. May have slowed down since the extra speed wasn’t necessary

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rjhollan said:

The bridge cam still shows us "Bound for Whittier."  MarineTraffic.com hasn't updated your position for nearly a day.  Your cabin TV map should show  your current position. 15 knots suggests that the ship is still using only one propeller OR the Captain doesn't need the speed.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Princess Chatterer said:

An easy way to see if both propellers are turning is go to the aft end of the ship and look at the ocean wake.  One wake equals one propeller.  Two wakes equals two propellers.

That's the propeller slipstream (also called prop wash). The wake is the waves pushed out to the side and behind the ship due to the water it is displacing.

Edited by lstone19

16 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

That's the propeller slipstream (also called prop wash). The wake are the waves pushed out to the side and behind the ship due to the water it is displacing.

The prop wash looks very different than just displaced water