Live Ovation of the Seas Alaska May 17-24, 2024 with Kmom

3 hours ago, pcrum said:

RCI has not been on our radar due to the lack of an included beverage package and having to pay for a beverage package per day, but those virtual balconies are very cool.   Even Celebrity gives you the "all in" option with an option to include a beverage package.  If RCI did this, we'd definitely be on it. 

Enjoy your cruise!

I am sure that you realize that nothing is free on a cruise ship.  You pay for everything one way or another.   The "all in" price on Celebrity is sky high compared to the base price which is also available.  And it often includes things that you don't really want.

It would make better sense to book the cruise at the regular price and add on the beverage package of your choice.  I am sure that it will come out cheaper than Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Badatz2 said:

I am sure that you realize that nothing is free on a cruise ship.  You pay for everything one way or another.   The "all in" price on Celebrity is sky high compared to the base price which is also available.  And it often includes things that you don't really want.

It would make better sense to book the cruise at the regular price and add on the beverage package of your choice.  I am sure that it will come out cheaper than Celebrity.

I just came back from my 1st Celebrity cruise, and the all in price was $2k more. No thanks. I went with base price. Also those that had drink package don’t get the full size martini glasses. Both drink package and 2 hr Captains Happy Hour were smaller glasses. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I prefer the vouchers.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cynt said:

Thanks for this live! I'll be following along with you. We board the Quantum in 62 days. 

Thank you, I am sure you’ll enjoy the cruise. These are great ships!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peachestravels said:

Can't wait to hear about the train ride. We sail in 67 days. We picked the train ride luxury car. Cant wait. Love your posts. 

Great time, views must be experienced. 

IMG_4270.jpeg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, pcrum said:

RCI has not been on our radar due to the lack of an included beverage package and having to pay for a beverage package per day, but those virtual balconies are very cool.  That key lime pie looked good too.  I live in FL and too many places here forget the meringue, even in Key West.  To me, it's not key lime pie with just whipped cream, you need the meringue.  Even Celebrity gives you the "all in" option with an option to include a beverage package.  If RCI did this, we'd definitely be on it.  We've done every mainstream cruise line except RCI and Virgin (I guess they are considered main stream now).  I think other lines need to get on that virtual balcony idea.  I believe Disney has a virtual port hole, but we've not done Disney since our kids were young.

Enjoy the train.  We did it on our Alaska cruise back in 2008.  I don't remember it being anywhere near the price it is now, but of course, that was 16 years ago.

If you live near Chicago, I'd assume you'd be all set for warm weather gear.  The coldest this FL girl has ever been was the July 4th spent in in Chicago.  I was NOT prepared for the wind that whipped across the great lakes and ended up needing to purchase a jacket.  Being from FL, I was not expecting to need a jacket to watch fireworks on the 4th of July, lol!

Enjoy your cruise!

To each their own and Celebrity is a nice cruise line anyway. Wonderful ships, food, and entertainment. I would be happy to cruise with them but I would actually opt down as they allow bookings without their all inclusive package.

I prefer the a la carte model of RCI and Carnival so I can pay for just what I want. For me, the pricing on RCI would work better than Celebrity in most cases, even if I bought a booze package, which I absolutely do not and never would. I have had 2 Bloody Marys in 4 days. Total cost of booze package so far: $35.

The key lime pie was good - I actually didn’t notice whether it was a true meringue but I know what you’re saying. 

I have lots of cold weather clothes but I didn’t want to drag a big coat along. I wasn’t planning on the plum sweater but it beckoned to me while shopping for the teen who needed something halfway decent to wear on formal night.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Were you able to dock in Skagway, or did you have to tender? We docked with Ovation back in 2022, but I think there was another rockslide after our visit and I'm not sure what the situation is there now. 

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

There was definitely another rockslide.  We were scheduled to visit Skagway in Sept of 2022 but had to cancel due to the rockslide that happened a few weeks prior.  I too would be interested in knowing the current situation.  

We did dock. My understanding is that, due to the weekly schedules, Ovation is always or almost always able to dock and Quantum never or almost never does.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

You touched on one of the few things that I don't like about this class of ship.  The Concierge Club (Suite/Pinnacle/possibly D+ Lounge) is all the way at the end of one of those long aft hallways.  You have a fantastic aft view from the lounge once you get there, but it's quite a hike from the elevator.  

I can absolutely understand that. If my mom were on this cruise I would be awfully glad our room is where it is. Being way aft with a mobility challenge wouldn’t be much fun at all. 

I think it’s funny Coastal Kitchen is by Windjammer. It’s a nice ocean view but usually they’re further from the riffraff. We can even peek in and watch the fancy people enjoying their fine dinery.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Cruiseman 1 said:

Enjoying your live review as I will be going on this same ship in the next 2 weeks.  We are still trying to decide where to stay prior in Seattle.  Did you like the overall location of the Hyatt House and did you feel like the area was safe?  Thanks!

I did like the location and it felt completely safe to me. It was easier than I expected to get there with Link then Monorail then short walk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

So finally catching up with the trip report.  It's like binge-viewing on Netflix to be current.

The ship is the Crown Princess.  You can tell from the shape of the Aft that was typical of the Princess-style ship of that generation.  I don't know much about cruise ships but I do have a keen eye for the ships' "Afts"...🤪

Here's the docking schedule for Skagway today

image.png.29219a55c92aa5f149808d632ee4ac30.png

A couple of comments on other previously discussed topics:

• Carnival-designed ships (Carnival/Princess/HAL) have 3 banks of elevators.  That makes catching one easier if you have cabins on extreme ends of the ship
  • When I was on the Odyssey last December, my favorite morning routine was getting coffee at cafe 270 right when they opened at 7 AM and sitting at the 270 lounge enjoying a pastry and the view of the ship's wake.  Maybe it was the Caribbeans but nobody was there that early (Alaska crowd might be different).  You have the entire lounge to yourself to drink the coffee in peace.

image.thumb.jpeg.b1d1859d11044384da5b262b3d765dfd.jpeg

Hi @harryfat1 Harry. I do remember from your reviews that you like them “big and round.” 😂

I found your secret door to Two70. It’s not as convenient in our case as our rooms are not in that area. I have been having trouble dragging myself out of the room in the morning since I have instant coffee right there. It’s really not bad and it’s so nice to stay in pajamas a bit longer. When you have your own private room it’s easy to just wallow.

However like you, I really love the Two70 space and its multi-uses. If I can get moving one of these mornings I will try out your ritual. 

And yes having mostly cruised Carnival the 3 sets of elevators is what I expect.

• Like 1

As Harry mentioned the mystery ship with the aft balconies I’m watching from my virtual is indeed Crown Princess. She looks to be similar size to Ovation sitting here together in port.

IMG_4238.thumb.jpeg.f241a153906ed6f035ccbc7109e24121.jpeg

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

. I have been having trouble dragging myself out of the room in the morning since I have instant coffee right there.

It’s nice to see they left the kettles in the cabins after the ship got to US. They always had them before when I sailed on Ovation, but last year when I sailed on the B5B from Sydney, they started removing them when we hit Honolulu. My sweet cabin stewardess left mine, because she knew I used it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Luckily I found this at the local resale shop last week! Going over a thin long sleeved cotton T. image.thumb.jpg.572d5c2313b388af189fe5d2c8eff2ea.jpg

Nice find.  Should work great for Alaska.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

It was great! Photos don’t do it justice but I will try anyway. 

IMG_4246.jpeg

I took this same excursion last August and loved it.  Thanks for the memory.

Edited by Cherful59
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 2:02 PM, Kellie in Texas said:

I'm pretty sure that a Bloody Mary -- especially when you're on the water -- counts as vegetables.  😄 

We have a great little bar near us with a music jam most Sundays and the serve the best Bloody Mary's with generous garnishes, to include a Slim Jim.  My friends and I refer to them as "Brunch"!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

You touched on one of the few things that I don't like about this class of ship.  The Concierge Club (Suite/Pinnacle/possibly D+ Lounge) is all the way at the end of one of those long aft hallways.  You have a fantastic aft view from the lounge once you get there, but it's quite a hike from the elevator.  

On this ship, it is a Suite Lounge for Suite and Pinnacle guests only.  Diamond+ no longer have acces to the Concierge Lounge or Suite Lounge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderland appetizers

IMG_4322.thumb.jpeg.818b1438f048858777652b9371638ee0.jpeg

Tomato water and crab avocado cones

IMG_4323.thumb.jpeg.9b88624acf40523529905e06cdfee2ba.jpeg

Egg in a nest

IMG_4325.thumb.jpeg.ad71bb0cefb887b7a7d635174244f51d.jpeg

Palate cleansing spicy raw tuna in a lime shell with sorbet and roe. Just go with it, man!

• Like 8
  • Haha 7