New Caledonia locked down.

On 9/22/2024 at 4:54 PM, windsor26 said:

my 24th Oct cruise has changed to use Santos and Vila

I was having a bad day  My cruise is 21st October and am happy to have Vila instead of Noumea

In the news  update this week.

France’s new Prime Minister and his Overseas Territories Minister have set a conciliatory pathway for New Caledonia. This follows months of violent protests there over France’s attempted imposition of unilateral changes to voter eligibility, which would have reduced the impact of the indigenous vote. Paris is providing some hope that democratically based agreement on future governance might yet be achieved.

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/paris-offers-signs-hope-new-caledonia

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 

I just read in FB that cruise ships are returning to Noumea. Tour operators has started advertising in group pages. The first ship (don't know which one is due in that day) arrives on the 14th November. 

• Like 2

Not sure how that works. DFAT (Smartraveller) still has New Caledonia at Level 3 - Reconsider your need to travel. DFAT does not offer advance dates of when they anticipate changing the levels, so I can only presume the date is based on a change to the restrictions within Noumea - perhaps a lifting of curfews.

The last ship due to call there was on Tuesday was Disney Wonder - it didn't. A non Aussie based expedition ship is heading for Lifou in the next couple of days - it will be interesting to see how that develops. The 14th November ship is Westerdam. It is also possible that HAL is yet to cancel any port bookings for Noumea, but that doesn't mean they won't be.

• Like 2

I think Lifou and Mare will see some ships this summer. I am not as confident about Noumea as their tourist body is. The civil unrest has backed-off, but there is no resolution and tensions are still simmering. Nice video though:

• Like 3

Nat Geo Orion is anchored at Lifou this morning, and that is a good sign. Not being Aussie based, they are not guided by DFAT's travel advisory who don't have a separate advice for the Loyalty Islands.

Interesting. We're due to visit Noumea and Lifou (as you are all probably sick of hearing 🙄) in December. I'm actually hoping we don't go to Noumea. Even if the port is open I figure it would still look like a bomb site. Not one of my preferred destinations anyway and guess who will be staying on board in the event the ship docks?😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_P said:

Carnival ships are returning to Noumea. Recent update sent to people on the November cruise have been informed they'll be going to Noumea.

Still deafening silence from P&O. Whatever, we won't bother disembarking in Noumea.

11 hours ago, Jim_P said:

Carnival ships are returning to Noumea. Recent update sent to people on the November cruise have been informed they'll be going to Noumea.

Hopeful expectations, but nothing definitive. It appears to be reliant on DFAT advice for New Caledonia being reduced to level two. 

Capture_60.jpg.89fb5575a60bc8dc398e9ca55b7672dc.jpg

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Carnival has been advising their changed itineraries 4 to 6 weeks ahead of sailing. While ever Carnival is hopeful of any possibility of docking in Noumea they are not about to offer an alternate itinerary, hence this advisory.

We'll just have to see how it plays out, I guess. Any further updates from Carnival would be appreciated, Geoff.

• Like 1