Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show - Ketchikan

CrazyTrain2

This is a really fun show. Combined with walking Creek Street it can be a complete port day.  However, I recommend getting tickets early, the show does book up when multiple cruise ships are in port at the same time.  We were in port with two HAL ships and a few smaller ones and the city was bustling.  You can acquire the tickets either from the ship in conjuction with other stops or directly from the show.

• Like 2

I found it very hokey. Toddlers (and oddly seniors) seemed to enjoy it.

I would encourage those interested to watch some YouTube videos to see if you would like it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I found it very hokey. Toddlers (and oddly seniors) seemed to enjoy it.

I would encourage those interested to watch some YouTube videos to see if you would like it.

Oh it's campy for sure.  But it beats panning for Gold.

• Like 2

It was a fun one and done experience for us on a recent trip after many visits to Ketchikan, just to say we did it and try something new. I wouldn't put a high priority on it compared to other activities, but we found it entertaining and enjoyed a nice fresh seafood meal at the restaurant nearby on the docks afterwards.

32 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

It was a fun one and done experience for us on a recent trip after many visits to Ketchikan, just to say we did it and try something new. I wouldn't put a high priority on it compared to other activities, but we found it entertaining and enjoyed a nice fresh seafood meal at the restaurant nearby on the docks afterwards.

Not to get sidetracked, but which seafood place did you go to? I owe my wife fresh seafood for lunch before our Lumberjack show next month.

4 hours ago, CMSD said:

Not to get sidetracked, but which seafood place did you go to? I owe my wife fresh seafood for lunch before our Lumberjack show next month.

Another seafood restaurant in Ketchikan to consider is Annabelle's located on Front Street.  Three types of chowder in addition to lots of other goodies,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 10:13 AM, karatemom2 said:

Same for us.  We did it on about our tenth trip to Alaska.  We'd done many other better things on previous trips, so decided to check it out.  I certainly would not recommend it for anyone's first/only trip to Ketchikan.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sherryf said:

Same for us.  We did it on about our tenth trip to Alaska.  We'd done many other better things on previous trips, so decided to check it out.  I certainly would not recommend it for anyone's first/only trip to Ketchikan.  

It was probably my 10th time also. I have to say I have done a lot of excursions in Ketchikan and honestly can not recommend any of them. There are some I prefer over others (such as Totem Bight to Saxman Village) but this is my least favorite port for excursions. It is a cute town to walk around. At least the first few times. I still walk around here but I don't do any excursions.

Edited by Coral

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coral said:

It was probably my 10th time also. I have to say I have done a lot of excursions in Ketchikan and honestly can not recommend any of them. There are some I prefer over others (such as Totem Bight to Saxman Village) but this is my least favorite port for excursions. It is a cute town to walk around. At least the first few times. I still walk around here but I don't do any excursions.

We have found the best thing to do in Ketchikan is rent a car. There are so many beautiful spots to explore outside the city and it’s basically one road in either direction. We like to go for hikes and try to spot bears at Herring Cove during salmon season. There are some really pretty waterfalls in both directions as well. 

Edited by karatemom2

8 hours ago, sherryf said:

I certainly would not recommend it for anyone's first/only trip to Ketchikan.  

You can’t leave us hanging like that 🙂 What would you recommend for first timers? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, karatemom2 said:

We have found the best thing to do in Ketchikan is rent a car. There are so many beautiful spots to explore outside the city and it’s basically one road in either direction. We like to go for hikes and try to spot bears at Herring Cove during salmon season. There are some really pretty waterfalls in both directions as well. 

That is a great idea because everything else I do hasn't been great. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcook said:

You can’t leave us hanging like that 🙂 What would you recommend for first timers? 

It really depends on your interests.  Totem Bight and Saxman are both good for learning about native culture, but very different experiences.  Float plane over Misty Fjords was absolutely spectacular.  We've gone hiking on our own couple of times. I went kayaking with my (adult) kids several years ago, and my daughter and I plan to go kayaking again in a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 2