Live from Silver Wind: Lisbon - London (19-31 May)

Tothesunset

5 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I know nobody understands what Les and I are talking about.

I assume it's something to do with the opening schedule?

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Footsore now from pounding the streets of Lisbon. Such a good city for aimless rambling. Bit like this thread. 

Lisbon is indeed a great place to wander. We didn't go there much at all the last time we were there two months ago though - just drove to Cascais and enjoyed the change of scenery. Glad that you are having a fun time and enjoy that tasting menu!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, les37b said:

BTW, I've had no joy with the issue we are aware about and its still not showing up as you board. 

Les 

Arrival, at The Pool, is showing on the PLA website

Edited by beaujolais
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 5:57 PM, beaujolais said:

Les 

Arrival, at The Pool, is showing on the PLA website

The issue that I shared with TTS 3 or 4 weeks ago was. (1) Silver Wind was showing as berthing at Greenwich Cruise Terminal and (2) Tower Bridge shows that Silversea had not booked a lift on the up and downstream journeys. This was confirmed as still being the case when I spoke with Tower Bridge on Friday. I did also speak with the LPA who did actually say, they have Wind arriving at the Pool of London, but they did agree that SS needed to pull their finger out and make that booking.

I'm pleased to say that after a further chase up today to make SS aware they still haven't done so, FINALLY, this evening Silver Wind is now officially arriving to Tower Bridge and have contacted to make the booking.

I didn't want to let on what I'd spotted and actually posted a cryptic reminder for TTS to chase once on board. I suppose I should have kept it off the thread, but as much as anything, if something did go pear shaped, the proof would be in the thread that it was known about and had been chased. TTS, will be able to confirm I did suggest after I'd spoken with LPA, I thought all would be fine, but its pretty infuriating that pointing out their mistake, was just ignored.

My interest in the arrival is because I'm due to go on for a ship visit but at first was simply checking times to watch sailing through Dartford Bridge. Usually lift times are showing up to 9 months in advance but probably booked as soon as scheduled. Why this wasn't I've no idea, but concern was genuine and not without personal angst of a similar issue last year, when I was continually assured we would be travelling on the train from Seward which was then on the end of an esteemed guest letter to tell us about "operational difficulties" after we had boarded. This after 3 weeks before boarding when I chased again because the transfer suggested was being handled by an Alaskan Agency - who once I called, told me they only deal with coaches. So SS knew well in advance and had been stringing me along for the previous year after finding out that the AR timetable didn't even start until 3 days after we arrived. I was assured, "Its a charter, don't panic, you are definitely on the train." On this same trip, we missed the stop at Kodiak Island because SS booked our arrival too late and Viking got in before us to confirm the one spot. So we were to scheduled to tender, but weather put paid to this. (If only they scheduled in good time when this cruise was advertised, we would have berthed and managed to actually stop after leaving Japan. Missing stops is never fun - especially if they could have been avoided. Booking these things should be taken seriously - 10 days before arriving in London doesn't seem to suggest it has been!

Anyway - just bringing a little reasoning to my fears / concerns.... and I'm pleased to say, its all systems go..... Though that arrival time will mean an even early rise to drone the passing at Dartford.

image.png.04f7314972d80f08deec6843139f9c84.png

How is 738 TTS?

Edited by les37b
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for sticking with this and getting it sorted, Les! Now back to (hopefully) our scheduled itinerary! 

I wouldn’t go as far as making that claim, but certainly guilty about noticing it.

Hope the internet is working on the Wind! 😅

Tuesday morning, 
Vigo Spain, dreary and overcast

We boarded in Lisbon on Sunday and it was a treat to recognize many of the crew and naturalists we know from our B2B on Wind last year. Expedition leader is Lea from Australia who we were also with on Explorer in the Kimberley last year.  Other familiar naturalists are Alex Frel, the Renaissance Man, and Bernardo - the ornithologist.   Hotel Director is Dejan; many familiar wait staff and maitre d’s as well.

Zaid Barrera is entertainment director and trivia host, hilarious as ever.

So far we have not noticed any of the concerns with SS that we read about so often on this board.  It is true that there are fewer pasta choices in La Terrazza than I remember.  The ship is quite full and when we arrived at The Restaurant around 8:15, we were told there would be a 20 minute wait to be seated.  We asked if we could go to La Terrazza and it turned out there had been a cancellation there and we were seated right away.

• Like 4

Back again. Since leaving you all a couple of days ago we now find ourselves in Vigo, Spain having successfully boarded in Lisbon. Yesterday was Porto. 

Now, before going any further I'm going to make my pitch for the Crew Welfare Fund. I've always felt it unfair that while front of house staff benefit from direct tipping, those we rarely, if ever, see remain unrewarded. And where would we be without the laundry staff, deck crew, engineers etc etc?  So how can a passenger show some pecuniary gratitude to all the crew? By donating to the Crew Welfare Fund. 

It's not advertised nor, I think, widely known but provides a fund for the benefit of the crew. We donated yesterday at reception and the amount donated is debited from the payment card presented on boarding:

PXL_20240521_1302164843.thumb.jpg.493bcc5823f8bf014b5202a82229da57.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

If anyone can recall, I did say that this was our 1st SS since RCI and Covid but I wasn't aiming to compare. Yeah, well, ignore that. It's impossible not to compare largely because we have noticed little that has changed. 

I'm not intending to do a travelogue because other contributors - Drron, Mysty, Fletcher and many more - do it so much better than I ever could. So what I'll do, if it's OK with everyone, is share some thoughts and observations as the days pass. These may (take that as will) be random and based solely on subjective rather than objective views. 

However, I'm happy to have a go at answering any direct questions but reserve the right to be wrong. If you see what I mean. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Suite

We are in 738, notionally a Vista suite, but 50% larger. My assertion earlier that it has had the 2 windows converted to Juliet balconies is erroneous. One of the windows is now floor-to-ceiling but doesn't open. 

The fixtures and furnishings have been substantially, and I think tastefully, updated since our last sailing in (I think) late 2018. The walk-in wardrobe (closet) is plenty big enough and there is a surfeit of cupboard space. 

I like a shower, never use a bathtub and am happy to relate that this suite has no tub. Yay! Rainfall shower and conventional shower head on a snakey metal thing. Since just about all one can ask of a shower is to provide a good dose of warm water, it fills its remit. The Otium products we've abandoned in favour of Bulgari, the smell of Silversea. 

Pleased to see power outlets that can cope with US, European and UK plugs plus USB sockets and USB C fast-charging sockets Lovely jubbly. No more mucking about with adaptors. 

Afternoon tea time. See ya, later. 

• Like 9

Just a quickie. 

We must have had 30 or more dinners in terraza and each time been disappointed. Yet still we go back. 

However, tonight's dinner was superb. Really. And, best of all, the pappardeli with duch ragu was outstanding. It really was. 

I mention this only because some recent reports have been less than wholly fulsome. So we might have been lucky, on the other hand I've got to say it as I see it. 

And the icing on the cake was that my Tokaji arrived precisely with the sweet. Kudos to Mike the sommelier for being on top of this. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

And, best of all, the pappardeli with duch ragu was outstanding. It really was. 

That's really good to hear! I have not ordered it in years - so thanks for the report. Maybe I'll try it again. Was the duck meat ground, or was it braised for hours so that it fell apart and was naturally tender?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

That's really good to hear! I have not ordered it in years - so thanks for the report. Maybe I'll try it again. Was the duck meat ground, or was it braised for hours so that it fell apart and was naturally tender?

It was ground. Recently the ragu was more like soup but tonight's had just the right amount of sauce, plenty of duck, was nicely seasoned and the pasta cooked perfectly. It was like the duck ragu of 10 years ago. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 3

Entertainment

This will be a short post.

We don't do entertainment. Sorry about that. According to some we have spoken with they haven't been impressed. That's hearsay and I mention the subject only to ignore it! 

• Like 2

What entertainment?  Are we on the same ship?  This is an expedition cruise and there is no entertainment that I know of other than a piano player.  Lots of lectures though.  Today was a sea day and there were at least 3 lectures during the day.  One on birds, one on the Spanish Armada in 1588 and one on rocks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Just a quickie. 

We must have had 30 or more dinners in terraza and each time been disappointed. Yet still we go back. However, tonight's dinner was superb. Really. And, best of all, the pappardeli with duch ragu was outstanding. It really was. 

On the Wind for the past five weeks and we found the duck ragu to be pretty good and consistent.  We always decline the platter thing they bring at the start - horrible ultra-processed fat - and the bread is dire.  The carpaccio is often a good starter and they also do a fishy soup that is quite aromatic and tasty.  Sometimes we did just two starters and a pud.  If you risk the osso buco try asking for wet polenta with it rather than the dried-up hash brown thing.  The nicest venue on the ship by far, especially the outer deck.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, LAexNY said:

What entertainment?  

Dunno. Just a couple of people were complaining about poor entertainment. Maybe that's what they meant? 

I did say it was hearsay, your honour. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

We must have had 30 or more dinners in terraza and each time been disappointed. Yet still we go back. 

In 4 days? That must be a record! 🤣

Have to admit La Terrazza was always our favourite, but less so now the menu choices seemed to have been halved. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, les37b said:

In 4 days? That must be a record! 🤣

Have to admit La Terrazza was always our favourite, but less so now the menu choices seemed to have been halved. 

Yes, the menu choices have certainly been reduced but, I hope, that allows the kitchen to concentrate on the quality rather than quantity. 

Certainly our meal last night was very good, better than we remember on previous sailings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Food

Here we go then, tin hat and body armour on. 

Breakfast:

Because of early excursions we've used Terrazza more than we would have liked. By choice we go to the MDR - not only is it much more civilized, the quality of the food is, imo, better. 

The options at LT seem to have shrunk somewhat. I can't quantify that, it's just a feeling. Sadly, the hot items generally aren't, they're lukewarm at best. While the selection of cheeses and meats are fine they are not inspiring. This may seem like a small point but the jams and preserves are now in little individual jars and are not good. Not good at all. Nor is the butter - and that applies at all venues. Butter should be rich and creamy and not a tasteless yellow blob. It's a small thing but if you like good butter bring your own. 

Finally, who wants a scrum at breakfast? I mean, really, it's not a six star (or 5,4 or 3 star) experience. Yet LT remains the most popular venue for breakfast. Go figure. 

Lunch:

Twice in the school dinner hall, sorry Terrazza, the others in the MDR. I'm pleased to report that the quality of food has been very high. I approached the lunch meals with a jaundiced eye in view of recent reports from throughout the fleet by dissatisfied guests but I feel unable to echo those sentiments. The normal caveat re personal opinion ranks strongly throughout this topic. 

On the one occasion we ate on the pool deck we had a rather tasty barbecue chicken wrap each. 

Dinner:

OH was shocked to have a fish main course that was properly cooked. I know! SS's ability to reduce the finest fillets to leather-like tastelessness is unrivalled but they've lost that knack and are now cooking fish properly. It's a revolution. 

I'm told we are fortunate to have Chef Pia in charge. We are certainly fortunate to have had the wisdom to choose quite excellent meals in both the MDR and LT. And much to our surprise had a complete meal at LT which we couldn't, in all conscience, criticise. 

The one dinner so far at the grill comprised a very tender and succulent chateaubriand along with a veal chop that would have fed a small army. OH tells me her king prawns were excellent. Tick vg. 

I'll end this on a bit of a downer:

There have been cases aboard of GI illness and today each suite received a letter from the captain that explains the actions being taken to limit the risk of spread. Quarantine in suite for affected passengers, self-service discontinued, increased hand sanitation and so forth.

Clearly, without microbiological analysis the causative organism remains unknown but passengers are using the n-word. However, we are off the coast of Brittany where many passengers have been on tastings of seafood including uncooked oysters. Anyway, whatever the cause it ain't fun for those affected and I wish them a speedy recovery (almost as much as I hope NOT to become affected!). 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:17 AM, Tothesunset said:

Back again. Since leaving you all a couple of days ago we now find ourselves in Vigo, Spain having successfully boarded in Lisbon. Yesterday was Porto. 

Now, before going any further I'm going to make my pitch for the Crew Welfare Fund. I've always felt it unfair that while front of house staff benefit from direct tipping, those we rarely, if ever, see remain unrewarded. And where would we be without the laundry staff, deck crew, engineers etc etc?  So how can a passenger show some pecuniary gratitude to all the crew? By donating to the Crew Welfare Fund. 

It's not advertised nor, I think, widely known but provides a fund for the benefit of the crew. We donated yesterday at reception and the amount donated is debited from the payment card presented on boarding:

PXL_20240521_1302164843.thumb.jpg.493bcc5823f8bf014b5202a82229da57.jpg

I still have a file folder full of these when I was producing the entertainment.  Choozi's entertainers always advised the guests of this fund, which they themselves did not benefit from. They knew first hand how hard the BOH crew worked, so were their allies informing the guests of this very needed fund.

• Like 2

Sounds tasty overall. Chef Pia is our favorite though! Can you send her to Darwin so she's on Silver Cloud with us?

Vibrio would be less contagious than that other nasty you mentioned, though I guess you can get anything from oysters. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Sounds tasty overall. Chef Pia is our favorite though! Can you send her to Darwin so she's on Silver Cloud with us?

As Paul Simon said "If I could, I surely would." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

There have been cases aboard of GI illness and today each suite received a letter from the captain that explains the actions being taken to limit the risk of spread. Quarantine in suite for affected passengers, self-service discontinued, increased hand sanitation and so forth.

The GI bug was with us on the Wind from Manaus to Lisbon, as noted on my blog, and we had the pool and hot tubs drained as a hygiene measure.  Learned later it was aboard on the BA-Manaus cruise as well.  It's on the ship.  Stay firm. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Thanks 1