Wanting to try Cunard on a crossing

ScottC4746

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

But no belly flop contests like on RCCL hopefully.

Bearing in mind the age of Cunard’s average passenger, that is a scary thought.

They often have classical concerts in the afternoon, though not, so far on this cruise, unless I’ve missed one.

Edited by exlondoner

A few years ago on a crossing, there were many NATO families returning to the US and Canada. Lots of Mess Dress in the formal nights.

There were so many kids that the captain put on a children's cocktail party. Soft drinks and donuts.

All were reasonably well behaved (military families) the only exception being the Pavillion Pool where they could get rather boisterous.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Unfortunately, even on a Westbound with 25 hours in a day, there's still not enough time to participate in all the activities/lectures/concerts/shows/classes etc. etc.

The 25 hours also allows more food to be consumed... trying to fit 3 or 4 meals in to a 23 hours day must be tricky

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So what is the difference between a Britania Balcony and a Britania Balcony Sheltered?  Considering the latter is $1,000 less than the former is the Cunard-speak for partially obstructed?

7 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

So what is the difference between a Britania Balcony and a Britania Balcony Sheltered?  Considering the latter is $1,000 less than the former is the Cunard-speak for partially obstructed?

An obstructed balcony has a lifeboat or part thereof blocking the view. A sheltered balcony is built in the hull, so has a metal front, meaning you can’t see the sea sitting down. However, it really is sheltered, which could be a boon on an Atlantic crossing. Get one that faces south, and you will have a little sun trap.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Sheltered is in the hull (decks 4,5,6)  So you have a window like opening in the hull on the balcony and below the opening is metal. These are lower down (obviously) so you can look directly down to the water, and on a bad weather crossing you get more protection. Some people swear by them - enough open air, but sheltered more..

Balconies are in the superstructure so have a more open balcony and it's glass fronted.

Partially obstructed are balconies (so glass fronted) but with lifeboats in front (deck 😎

Edited by buchanan101
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Turned my 8 in to 😎...

For and aft on 4,5,6 are ocean view - just a non opening porthole. Sheltered balconies are more midships.  Seem a pretty good compromise to me on a winter crossing (having said that we went QG in October 22 but made sure it was south facing - and was very pleasant - a sun trap whilst the other side was cold). In summer I'd probably do the opposite

All well laid out on the Cunard deckplans https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/inventory-assets/ships/QM/9/QM2_accessible_deckplan_Feb2022a.pdf

Edited by buchanan101
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim_P said:

The Britannia Restaurant is the main dining room on Cunard - and its a stunning venue with great food and service. You absolutely do not need to be in a Grills suite. Also getting back to your social anxiety - the larger Britannia restaurant would be far better than in a smaller, more intimate Grills restaurant with Grills passengers, some of whom can be a little on the snobbish and judgmental side.  

It is unfortunate that some people have found some Grills passengers to be snobbish and judgmental.  We are not "to the Grills born" but have travelled in all four restaurant "classes" on the QM2 two or three times in each.  Our first time in Princess Grill and both times in Queens Grill were complimentary upgrades - not likely to happen again!  

We were a little concerned the first time we were in the Grills but booked a large table as we always do. Although there were some table-mates who were apparently far more prosperous than we are there were others who had saved up for a splurge. At no time did we encounter any snobbishness at table or in the Grills lounges.  On our QG crossings we had the butler arrange a cocktail reception in our suite. Our table-mates graciously accepted.

Not once did any Grills passenger (on the QM2 and also on the QE) ever ask us what we did for a living before retirement.  Only in Britannia were we ever asked such a question. I must add that no matter what level of cabin we have had we have thoroughly enjoyed our voyages.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Entertainment, how do you rate the entertainment?  We loved HAL and their classical music ensemble.  We love production shows.  What music is being offered in the evenings in the lounges.  We hate RCCL and their thumping loud music where you cannot talk to each other over a drink.  We do love trivia however.

There is much entertainment and music around the ship, day and night. Some examples of interest we experienced during various TA’s: daily recitals from classical guitarists and pianists (one played Rachmaninov concertos, not easy!), a one woman play of “A Room of One’s Own”, insight lectures of various subjects like foreign policy, behavioral analysis, maritime/ocean liner history. Plus in the evenings, almost every public venue has music. Irish pub music is fun too. Trivia is very popular. Little to none loud thumping music. Calm and relaxed onboard environment. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jim_P said:

The Britannia Restaurant is the main dining room on Cunard - and it’s a stunning venue with great food and service. You absolutely do not need to be in a Grills suite. Also getting back to your social anxiety - the larger Britannia restaurant would be far better than in a smaller, more intimate Grills restaurant with Grills passengers, some of whom can be a little on the snobbish and judgmental side…

Nobody should be worried about social issues on Cunard.

We have come across the nicest and kindest of folk, from billionaires ( I checked in the WSJ) to ordinary folk like us. Yes there have been a couple of folk over the years ( not bad really in over ten years of Cunard sailings) who were to be laughed at behind their backs for their uppityness  but they were to be ignored because in truth, folk like that generally have nothing to be uppity about and to be fair, the only judgemental attitudes I have come across have been on this board and most definitely NOT on the actual ships.

Everyone is as good as the next passenger so any social anxiety should be put to rest if possible. First toe in the water and after that, bingo. Hooked. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"We loved HAL and their classical music ensemble."

I understand from a recent Gary Bembridge video that HAL, to the dismay of many fans, has stopped their partnership with Lincoln Center. Maybe Cunard could pick up the classical music slack, since they already have some theater and literary alliances.  

• Like 2

OP -- thanks for your questions -- and Everyone for your responses!

A Cunard cruise (actually a QM2 crossing) has been on my Bucket List for years!  W/my DD & SIL, I'm booked for Sept 2025 -- My 80th b'day present to myself.

Despite 50 years of cruises, I was a bit worried about the dress code for myself & SIL.  (DD will dress to the 9s whenever possible.)  We may get SIL a sport coat to augment his basic black suit.  I'll have my black pants & fancy (or not) tops.  

We're really looking forward to this fabulous experience!

• Like 2