Wanting to try Cunard on a crossing

ScottC4746

We have talked about doing a Cunard (C) cruise but I have hesitation.  First I have severe social anxiety to the point I signed up for a support group and never attended because of it.  If you don't suffer from it it can be debilitating, if you do, you will understand.

DH and I are very blue collar, but we strive very much when in public not to put on airs, but to follow the rules of etiquette to a T.

One thing I am concerned about, besides not having fancy enough clothes, is the restaurant situation.  While we would live to be in a Queen's Grill Suite, we could only barely afford Britania.  Does this mean Britania is one step above the buffet, which photos look like is nothing to sneeze at either.

What about the public spaces and lounges?  If they do the dining rooms this way do they do the same with the rest of the ship.  I picture Titanic less the icebergs and sinking.

I have friends in Houston that rave over C, but because of what I pointed out I am hesitant.

Britannia restaurant is the equivalent of any of the cruise ships MDR. We are diamond with Cunard and have travelled transatlantic too on Queen Mary 2. We are just ordinary people as are most of our travelling companions. I see you have cruised with Celebrity which would stand you in good stead for Cunard. Go for it and enjoy.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I would suggest you read up around this board, since you will find lots of information, and particularly reports from people who have done Crossings. I submitted one here from a trip in December 2023 for example, but there are many other trip reports. Lots of view points and information can be found here.

Let me get rid of a few concerns. Being blue collar really isn't an issue - Americans aren't that good at this class system lark, and it isn't taken at all seriously onboard. You will find all sorts on board, and not so many members of the House of Lords there. You will find lots of interesting people from all walks of life though. In so far as I find out what people do (mostly I've no idea) they have every professional and non professional background you can imagine. And loads of retired people.

The good thing about Cunard is that there is no mass jollification going on. You can participate as much or as little as you like, and as a couple wandering around the vessel you will be free to do things, or not do things. With things like lectures and libraries, quite a few activities are suitable for non-party-animals.

And the Britannia restaurant is nowhere near a buffet, it is a classy facility, with good food, top service, and amazing decor, which will give you two a lovely memorable evening, on your own terms. And I was there less than 2 hours before writing this paragraph. If you are in Britannia you have access to the entire ship and all the facilities, with the exception of a small bit at the end of deck 7 where the grills restaurant and lounge are located. Plus one fairly pathetic sun deck on deck 11, and that's not patrolled or controlled either.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 9

The main dining room (Britannia) on the Queen Mary 2 is amazing. You can request a table for 2 if you don’t want to sit with others. Dressy clothes will be dressy enough and no one will judge you. Some people will dress to the nines, ball gowns, tuxes, hair and nails done. Others will have cocktail dresses or wear a plain suit. Don’t think one is better or more expected than the other.

You can have as much or as little human contact as you choose. 

If you want to experience a TA on the Queen Mary 2, then do it. It is well worth it. Don’t talk yourself out of it because of what might be. Talk yourself into it because of what WILL be. Best of luck to you.

• Like 7

For a frame of reference, most of my cruises have been on Carnival and Royal - so about as relaxed as cruise ship dress codes go. I booked a Cunard Med cruise based on price as something to do schedule wise while sailing to Europe and back on Carnival while a ship was in dry dock. My biggest concern was absolutely the dress expectations and if I would fit in and enjoy myself.

My concerns were completely unfounded. I wore what I would wear to dinner on Celebrity or to a specialty dinner on Carnival/Royal and I fit in just fine and never felt out of place. True, many were dressed far, far better, but I never felt underdressed, looked down upon, or out of place in any way. The only difference was the dress code extended to many areas of the ship, but again I did not feel out of place in the evening around the ship.

The exception were the Gala nights as I do not own clothes that meet the dress code. I ate in the Golden Lion and the buffet but wish I had tried Golden Lion earlier, a fabulous dinner. Many areas of the ship were off access to me since I was not dressed up, but I accepted that going in and overall still enjoyed myself in the evening time.

The food in Britannia was excellent. It consistently far exceeded any cruise ship meal I have had on any line, including Celebrity.  

I enjoyed the experience so much that although I booked that first trip based on price, I have since book an 18 day round trip crossing at an eye watering price (compared to my usual Carnival/Royal trips) and can't wait to get back onboard!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Excellent synopsis @jam19872016. Just to set expectations about your upcoming 18-day round trip crossing, I assume that's on QM2 (round trip from New York to Hamburg or Rotterdam). The Golden Lion does not serve dinner on QM2, only lunch, unless there's been a very recent change. But one dinner venue on QM2 that's not well advertised is the Chef's Galley. That's a casual dining venue with table service in the evening with a pizza and pasta menu. That might be a good option for you instead of the buffet on one of your gala evenings.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

Excellent synopsis @jam19872016. Just to set expectations about your upcoming 18-day round trip crossing, I assume that's on QM2 (round trip from New York to Hamburg or Rotterdam). The Golden Lion does not serve dinner on QM2, only lunch, unless there's been a very recent change. But one dinner venue on QM2 that's not well advertised is the Chef's Galley. That's a casual dining venue with table service in the evening with a pizza and pasta menu. That might be a good option for you instead of the buffet on one of your gala evenings.

Thanks! Will give that a try. 

• Like 2

Regarding social anxiety and Cunard, the ships certainly are not a mega ships but big enough with very nice public rooms and some nooks and crannies to get lost and stay anonymous as much as you want. The wonderful library is a good place to start. QM2, however, has more nooks and crannies than the other ships. 
There are many people from different walks of life onboard so please try not worry about whatever social/economic status anyone is in. The atmosphere is calm and relaxed. I hope you give Cunard a go. 

• Like 4

Dear OP:

You have 0 to be anxious about doing a crossing on the QM2.

Our 4th crossing in in late June this year.

We Choose, Choose to be in the Britannia "class" as that is all we need to be happy. We can afford the Grills easy, but not interested in formality or a bigger stateroom that we will not use.

We book an "in hull" balcony - but most of our time is spent out of the stateroom around the ship. PS - a) there is an open viewing area just under the bridge which has "wings" so you can see the QM2 outside her hull - OMG, the best viewing on any passenger ship - THE BEST b) there is a window viewing area on the bridge deck, where you can watch the folks on the bridge - so great. There is a small elevator (on the left of the QM2) that takes up upwards to both decks... Please do this - Most passengers do not know about this.

OK - another - the QM2 has a kennel - with dogs, cats, rabbits and other dear critters - on 11 deck I think and near the back - THE BEST part of the QM2.

For Britannia class - 2 options:

1) Book a table for 2 OR with others in the main Britannia restaurant - the MOST stunning at sea

2) Pay $20 pp and do the alternative dining up in the Britannia - a part of the buffet area is transformed  - it is a themed evening with different ethnic creations - WAY better than the Grills and most enjoyable - again, not that well known by passengers.

The QM2 is the BEST passenger ship at sea.

We LOVE HER.

Hope my post is of assistance.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Dear OP:

You have 0 to be anxious about doing a crossing on the QM2.

Our 4th crossing in in late June this year.

We Choose, Choose to be in the Britannia "class" as that is all we need to be happy. We can afford the Grills easy, but not interested in formality or a bigger stateroom that we will not use.

We book an "in hull" balcony - but most of our time is spent out of the stateroom around the ship. PS - a) there is an open viewing area just under the bridge which has "wings" so you can see the QM2 outside her hull - OMG, the best viewing on any passenger ship - THE BEST b) there is a window viewing area on the bridge deck, where you can watch the folks on the bridge - so great. There is a small elevator (on the left of the QM2) that takes up upwards to both decks... Please do this - Most passengers do not know about this.

OK - another - the QM2 has a kennel - with dogs, cats, rabbits and other dear critters - on 11 deck I think and near the back - THE BEST part of the QM2.

For Britannia class - 2 options:

1) Book a table for 2 OR with others in the main Britannia restaurant - the MOST stunning at sea

2) Pay $20 pp and do the alternative dining up in the Britannia - a part of the buffet area is transformed  - it is a themed evening with different ethnic creations - WAY better than the Grills and most enjoyable - again, not that well known by passengers.

The QM2 is the BEST passenger ship at sea.

We LOVE HER.

Hope my post is of assistance.

Hello QuestionE:  I'm not the OP but am in the same "boat" of consideration.  When you say that the alternative dining area up in Britannia is WAY better than the Grills, may you please elborate on why you feel that is?  I ask as I am nearing to book a fall 2025 TA and still trying to decide between Princess level v Queens.  TIA

5 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

We have talked about doing a Cunard (C) cruise but I have hesitation.  First I have severe social anxiety to the point I signed up for a support group and never attended because of it.  If you don't suffer from it it can be debilitating, if you do, you will understand.

I fully sympathize with your social anxiety - I suffer it pretty badly too. But the QM2 had been something I'd wanted to do since I was a teenager. In 2023 I finally decided to do it and did it on my own, and I loved every minute of it. Since then I have been on again and have two more trips booked for the future. Thats the great thing about cruises - you can be as social as you want. If you want to simply do your own thing and keep to yourself its easy. Its particularly easy on ships like Cunard which arent party boats (other cruise lines have much more focus on group activities). Its easy on a ship like QM2 to just find your own space, or attend activities like talks that dont require social interaction.

I'd also recommend the Queen Mary 2 over the other ships in the line as it is a much bigger ship and a lot easier to find your own space.

DH and I are very blue collar, but we strive very much when in public not to put on airs, but to follow the rules of etiquette to a T.

I too am not big on dressing up, but its very easy to stick to Cunard's dress code. People thnk its a lot more than it actually is. While some people love the opportunity to fully go to town, a lot of others just keep it simple. For men, a simple suit jacket, collared shirt and nice pants and dress shoes will get you through the evenings no problem. For women pretty much any nice dress or pant suit or blouse will be fine. So long as you are not wearing jeans, sneakers and a T shirt you'll basically be fine (though they are of course fine during the day). And there's still venues of the ship at night where you can go casual if you want, like the buffet and pub. 

One thing I am concerned about, besides not having fancy enough clothes, is the restaurant situation.  While we would live to be in a Queen's Grill Suite, we could only barely afford Britania.  Does this mean Britania is one step above the buffet, which photos look like is nothing to sneeze at either.

What about the public spaces and lounges?  If they do the dining rooms this way do they do the same with the rest of the ship.

The Britannia Restaurant is the main dining room on Cunard - and its a stunning venue with great food and service. You absolutely do not need to be in a Grills suite. Also getting back to your social anxiety - the larger Britannia restaurant would be far better than in a smaller, more intimate Grills restaurant with Grills passengers, some of whom can be a little on the snobbish and judgmental side.  

Grills passengers have a few small areas exclusive to them, but you really wont notice them, 95% of the ship is open to everyone. All the bars, coffee shops, venues etc are open to all. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Liao said:

Hello QuestionE:  I'm not the OP but am in the same "boat" of consideration.  When you say that the alternative dining area up in Britannia is WAY better than the Grills, may you please elborate on why you feel that is?  I ask as I am nearing to book a fall 2025 TA and still trying to decide between Princess level v Queens.  TIA

Hi Liao:

The Britannia is an excellent main restaurant - typical foods.

The Alternative dining venue, each night, in the buffet area, a part of which is transformed into an alternative dining area. Each night there is a different theme and the food is more interesting, customized, favorable than the MDR. Very, very excellent service as it is a small dining venue.

I give Cunard credit - the food in this venue is better than anything I have had in the specialties' on Oceania.

Sooooo, you never know until you try.

Enjoy your crossing.

Time is precious and it is slipping away - Live Life Now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_P said:

I fully sympathize with your social anxiety - I suffer it pretty badly too. But the QM2 had been something I'd wanted to do since I was a teenager. In 2023 I finally decided to do it and did it on my own, and I loved every minute of it. Since then I have been on again and have two more trips booked for the future. Thats the great thing about cruises - you can be as social as you want. If you want to simply do your own thing and keep to yourself its easy. Its particularly easy on ships like Cunard which arent party boats (other cruise lines have much more focus on group activities). Its easy on a ship like QM2 to just find your own space, or attend activities like talks that dont require social interaction.

I'd also recommend the Queen Mary 2 over the other ships in the line as it is a much bigger ship and a lot easier to find your own space.

I too am not big on dressing up, but its very easy to stick to Cunard's dress code. People thnk its a lot more than it actually is. While some people love the opportunity to fully go to town, a lot of others just keep it simple. For men, a simple suit jacket, collared shirt and nice pants and dress shoes will get you through the evenings no problem. For women pretty much any nice dress or pant suit or blouse will be fine. So long as you are not wearing jeans, sneakers and a T shirt you'll basically be fine (though they are of course fine during the day). And there's still venues of the ship at night where you can go casual if you want, like the buffet and pub. 

The Britannia Restaurant is the main dining room on Cunard - and its a stunning venue with great food and service. You absolutely do not need to be in a Grills suite. Also getting back to your social anxiety - the larger Britannia restaurant would be far better than in a smaller, more intimate Grills restaurant with Grills passengers, some of whom can be a little on the snobbish and judgmental side.  

Grills passengers have a few small areas exclusive to them, but you really wont notice them, 95% of the ship is open to everyone. All the bars, coffee shops, venues etc are open to all. 

Jim_P - excellent assessment.

Cunard is a favorite of ours - we will not patronize any mass cruise line that has the ship within a ship partitioned class configuration. 

It is a ship and everyone should be able to enjoy it - particularly forward views of where you are going which is something Celebrity has killed on their E class and above, they are Cancelled.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Jim_P - excellent assessment.

Cunard is a favorite of ours - we will not patronize any mass cruise line that has the ship within a ship partitioned class configuration. 

It is a ship and everyone should be able to enjoy it - particularly forward views of where you are going which is something Celebrity has killed on their E class and above, they are Cancelled.

Yes, Cunard has this reputation of being classist and having areas where locked away from those in cheaper cabins when they're actually the least classist ship I've ever been on, none of that "ship within a ship" nonsense other cruise lines are embracing. Grills passengers have a few small private areas, which is fair enough for what Grills cabins cost, but most areas of the ships are open to all. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Liao said:

If you are used to sailing in a suite class grade on other lines, you should stick with Grills. You can still pay extra for the themed alternative dining as mentioned in this post to take a break from Grills. QG gives you bigger suites and off-menu ordering options. PG is an excellent option and gets you access to Grills Lounge and Concierge (a huge help). Both dining options offer tableside prep of mains and flambéd desserts. 

• Like 2

OP, please do not think you have to be anyone other than who you are to have a terrific time on the QM2! We are like you, and we have no interest in booking anything « above » Britannia class. Everyone is friendly, and no one knows or cares about the color of your collar. 😉

Please come! I’m sure we and many other would be delighted to have you to talk with.

• Like 2

And very occasionally I sit there and think that my grandfather spent some of his childhood in the Cambridge Workhouse, and here I am in a Cunard ship. It doesn’t make me feel inferior, just grateful, to my ancestors, to Cunard, and to society. 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

For a frame of reference, most of my cruises have been on Carnival and Royal - so about as relaxed as cruise ship dress codes go. I booked a Cunard Med cruise based on price as something to do schedule wise while sailing to Europe and back on Carnival while a ship was in dry dock. My biggest concern was absolutely the dress expectations and if I would fit in and enjoy myself.

My concerns were completely unfounded. I wore what I would wear to dinner on Celebrity or to a specialty dinner on Carnival/Royal and I fit in just fine and never felt out of place. True, many were dressed far, far better, but I never felt underdressed, looked down upon, or out of place in any way. The only difference was the dress code extended to many areas of the ship, but again I did not feel out of place in the evening around the ship.

The exception were the Gala nights as I do not own clothes that meet the dress code. I ate in the Golden Lion and the buffet but wish I had tried Golden Lion earlier, a fabulous dinner. Many areas of the ship were off access to me since I was not dressed up, but I accepted that going in and overall still enjoyed myself in the evening time.

The food in Britannia was excellent. It consistently far exceeded any cruise ship meal I have had on any line, including Celebrity.  

I enjoyed the experience so much that although I booked that first trip based on price, I have since book an 18 day round trip crossing at an eye watering price (compared to my usual Carnival/Royal trips) and can't wait to get back onboard!

When is your crossing?

14 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

What about the public spaces and lounges?  If they do the dining rooms this way do they do the same with the rest of the ship.  I picture Titanic less the icebergs and sinking.

I have friends in Houston that rave over C, but because of what I pointed out I am hesitant.

The QM2 outside the restaurants has virtually no distinction by cabin class. Grills get a rather ordinary lounge and a small dark (interior) concierge room and a smallish deck area - and priority embarkation and disembarkation. Everything else is open to everyone and you cannot tell who is travelling in what cabin.

Clothes - don't have to be fancy, just smart enough - there are endless arguments on here about what the dress code actually says, but on board no one really cares that much - sounds like you won't be trying to dine in jeans anyway, so you'd be fine. You may think QM2 is a modern day class ridden Titanic but in reality it is nothing like that

• Like 3

Entertainment, how do you rate the entertainment?  We loved HAL and their classical music ensemble.  We love production shows.  What music is being offered in the evenings in the lounges.  We hate RCCL and their thumping loud music where you cannot talk to each other over a drink.  We do love trivia however.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Entertainment, how do you rate the entertainment?  We loved HAL and their classical music ensemble.  We love production shows.  What music is being offered in the evenings in the lounges.  We hate RCCL and their thumping loud music where you cannot talk to each other over a drink.  We do love trivia however.

Unfortunately, even on a Westbound with 25 hours in a day, there's still not enough time to participate in all the activities/lectures/concerts/shows/classes etc. etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigMac1953 said:

Unfortunately, even on a Westbound with 25 hours in a day, there's still not enough time to participate in all the activities/lectures/concerts/shows/classes etc. etc.

But no belly flop contests like on RCCL hopefully.

How are the kids on Cunard?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

But no belly flop contests like on RCCL hopefully.

How are the kids on Cunard?

There are some, who are kept very well entertained in the various clubs. All the ones I have encountered have been impeccably behaved and having a lovely time.