QV415C in June Problems

Just received an email indicating essential maintenance required.  QV will stay in Barcelona for 3 nights, skip the stop in Corsica, add an extra stop in Sardinia, and skip the stop in Messina.  Messina was the deciding port of call for this trip for the trek up Mt Etna.  We are arriving several days early so didn't need additional time in Barcelona.

This is an older one, as QV, but yes they are risks. The positive side is that there aren't many better ports to be holed up in than Barcelona, even if you've already had a few days there. Would also give the opportunity to head out of the city and explore a bit, without any hard deadlines for return. 

Presumably passengers are able to stay on board as an extended port of call, rather than Cunard seeking hotels? 

12 minutes ago, King Amo said:

This is an older one, as QV, but yes they are risks. The positive side is that there aren't many better ports to be holed up in than Barcelona, even if you've already had a few days there. Would also give the opportunity to head out of the city and explore a bit, without any hard deadlines for return. 

Presumably passengers are able to stay on board as an extended port of call, rather than Cunard seeking hotels? 

Barcelona is a matter of opinion. There are few ports I dislike more.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Barcelona is a matter of opinion. There are few ports I dislike more.

Wow, that really surprises me. I guess that's what makes cruising so great, having a bit of a pick and mix to suit everyone. If I was ever to get stuck somewhere, I'd love it to be Barcelona or Lisbon🙂

16 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Wow, that really surprises me. I guess that's what makes cruising so great, having a bit of a pick and mix to suit everyone. If I was ever to get stuck somewhere, I'd love it to be Barcelona or Lisbon🙂

Agree about Lisbon.

4 hours ago, King Amo said:

The new itinerary begins the voyage with 4 nights in Barcelona.  There's no indication that passengers will need a hotel for those nights,  

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

That's a disappointing change even for those people who like Barcelona. 

Has there been any explanation?

"Queen Victoria will need to undergo some essential maintenance during this voyage."

At least the cruise port is close to the city and there are good transport links to other parts of Catalonia to those who really don't like Barcelona. 

6 minutes ago, tony s said:

Are they doing anything for the inconvenience? I could think of worse places to be stuck😊

$100/person OBC.

• Like 2

Regular shuttle buses to/from the World Trade Center.  $100 pp (guests 1 & 2) OBC.  Barcelona and Cagliari shore excursions revealed in a few days.  The trip between Alghero, Sardinia and Cagliari, Sardinia will probably be at no wake speed.

25 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

For those who disfavor Barcelona, is it safety-related concerns?

For me this would be a yes. A few years ago, I was witness to my friend being the victim of an attempted robbery/bag snatch literally minutes after being dropped off by taxi from the airport in the gothic quarter on route to our hotel.  

13 hours ago, aaaaa said:

No, not at all. The noise, the traffic, the tedious shuttle ride, the tedious berthing place, the Gaudi architecture, etc, etc. But I do accept that it is probably a very efficient embarkation port.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

No, not at all. The noise, the traffic, the tedious shuttle ride, the tedious berthing place, the Gaudi architecture, etc, etc. But I do accept that it is probably a very efficient embarkation port.

If I wanted to spend 4 nights in Barcelona I'd want to do it in a city hotel, not on a cruise ship. Offering just $100OBC is an insult.

But Barcelona isn't really high up on my list of places I want to go, so I'd only want to spend one night on a cruise there - so having to spend 4 nights on a ship there would be unacceptable. Are they offering refunds?

All hypothetical of course as I'm not on this cruise - but I'd be very disappointed...

Many cruise itineraries really don't interest us - if we want to go somewhere we'd want to spend a few nights - one of the Holland America pinnacles arrived in Lisbon whilst we were there for a short break - it was there 6 hours. What is the point of that, especially for such a great city? Most med cruises are probably out for us - go to Rome for 6 or 8 hours... why?

We have booked a New England cruise where there's an overnight in Boston so a bit better, and allowing extended holidays both ends in NYC and Quebec.  And we are off to fjords in 4 weeks - we wouldn't want to spend a few days in Flam, so a cruise is perfect for that

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

For me this would be a yes. A few years ago, I was witness to my friend being the victim of an attempted robbery/bag snatch literally minutes after being dropped off by taxi from the airport in the gothic quarter on route to our hotel.  

Same - Barcelona bottom of my list. Pickpocket haven on Las Ramblas.

22 hours ago, aaaaa said:

Not for me, I simply don’t like the city, much as I really dislike Hong

Kong.

I gather many folk booked on this debacle are cancelling and getting a full refund.

I had a lucky escape as I almost booked this as a late Deal last night LOL...
No wonder it was selling for peanuts.

phew, 4 nights stuck on a boat in BCN would make me heave 

There's no indication in the Cunard notification e-mail that (no-charge) cancellations will be permitted -- only the $100/person OBC..

We are also on the QV cruise on 17th June. When we received the email from Cunard I called our TA and told them I was dissatisfied with the offer by Cunard. I regarded the itinerary change as a significant change and as a significant change we should be given other options which should include a full refund which, obviously Cunard and our TA would not be happy with. Also, I believe a 'significant change' has insurance ramifications.

Our TA said they would speak to Cunard and call me back and email me before the close of business. As business day as drawing to a close I called and was told it would be Monday before somebody got back to me. However, around an hour later I received an email from  our TA repeating what Cunard had said. I am not certain if this is the email setting out our 'options' (i.e. one) or simply repeating the email from Cunard. However, the email cynically stated that as the change is a minor change no action is necessary.

How changing the itinerary from a 7 day sea cruise to a cruise with 4 days in dock together with a loss of days in port is a 'Minor' change I have no idea. What is the definition of a minor change? Who decides a change is minor or significant? Who comes up with the idea that making a derisory and insulting offer of $100 OBC as though they are being generous will pacify and placate their customers? $100OBC is the equivalent of 2 average bottles of wine onboard or almost 2 meals in their fee paying restaurant. Is that really how little they appreciate their customers?

We are still awaiting an email from TA giving us options but whatever is offered it has spoilt the cruise (if we go on the cruise) and whatever we end up with we have lost from the position we had before the change. I am pretty disgusted with Cunard with their cynical offer and words.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

There's no indication in the Cunard notification e-mail that (no-charge) cancellations will be permitted -- only the $100/person OBC..

From other events of this sort, that seems to the the SOP: offer OBC / make tour arrangements but not advertise the cancellation option. In reality, depending on where the passenger lives, there may be a legal right to cancellation and full refund for anything judged to be a "significant change". That applies to Europe including the UK. So those who enquire are told it is possible, and may also be offered a credit note uplift on a future booking within the next (say) 12 months.

28 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

It is a significant change with regards to cruise booked so under T&C's you would be entitled to a full refund.