booking with TA for the first time in forever, what will be different

I'm looking to take my family on a cruise in 3 cabins.  Found a price on travel agent website that will save me a decent amount of money with a group rate.  I've booked xcruises on royals website for the last 8 years and haven't used a travel agent for a cruise in 20 years.  What are the differences with booking with a TA (and group rate) vs on the website?  Can I still use my stock holder benefit for OBC?  Can I use myVegas pts for OBC as well?  Do I still buy my drink package and stuff thru the website?

Dan

Absolutely nothing different when using a TA vs booking direct EXCEPT the TA must submit your payments.

Stock benefits are available and handled as normal. I can't speak to my vegas points.

Cruise Planner purchases are handled just like always.

18 minutes ago, danoconnl said:

What are the differences with booking with a TA (and group rate) vs on the website?

Any significant changes to the booking, like a price drop, needs to handled by the TA - you can't go to RCI directly.

Everything in the Cruise Planner is handled the same.  You can make all your dining, shows, activities, excursion reservations just like before.

The difference are the TA perks (OBC, group rates, comped meals, etc..) and that they need to handle the cruise payments (not Cruise Planner Payments).  ... and as mentioned, any price drops are handled through the TA as well.

I did my own for 10+ years and switched about a year ago and am enjoying the OBC or group rates, or both. 🙂  If you have a good, responsive TA it's great.  If not, it can be hell.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Everything in the Cruise Planner is handled the same.  You can make all your dining, shows, activities, excursion reservations just like before.

The difference are the TA perks (OBC, group rates, comped meals, etc..) and that they need to handle the cruise payments (not Cruise Planner Payments).  ... and as mentioned, any price drops are handled through the TA as well.

I did my own for 10+ years and switched about a year ago and am enjoying the OBC or group rates, or both. 🙂  If you have a good, responsive TA it's great.  If not, it can be hell.

This exactly!  I will add that I used to book all the cruises for my family myself.  Until Covid hit!  Trying to get through to Royal on the phone was a nightmare to move cruises, etc.  I spent HOURS on the phone!  Now my Travel Agent can make those calls.  Plus I can still book any dining, drink packages and excursions myself though the Cruise Planner so it's a win, win.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, huntr104 said:

This exactly!  I will add that I used to book all the cruises for my family myself.  Until Covid hit!  Trying to get through to Royal on the phone was a nightmare to move cruises, etc.  I spent HOURS on the phone!  Now my Travel Agent can make those calls.  Plus I can still book any dining, drink packages and excursions myself though the Cruise Planner so it's a win, win.

I do love NOT being on hold with Royal.  Great add.

• Like 1

My TA does everything. I use to do it all. Now when I want a change, I just email her.  She is very responsive. Also,I did my on OBC transfer to my own account. Showed up about 2 weeks later. FYI, it says you will receive an email when OBC transfers, however, I never got one. It just showed up on my planner.

• Like 1