Family Ocean View

Has any one ever traveled in a family ocean view cabin for 3 kids and 2 adults? If so, what ship offers

reasonable fares? Ideally, we are 11 people ( 3 children - 1 family,  2 children-1 family) plus one couple.  We can break up into 2 family ocean view cabins and one

balcony. Just looking at possibilities now. We are hoping for the family cabins to be very reasonable. We

would like to leave out of any port near NYC. Just doing research now and don't have any particular destination or dates

in mind. But need to leave and return from same port.

Thank you in advance.

Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldnt count on any good deals. Travel has been solid lately and now you limit yourself to close to out of nyc. I've seen a group which can be joined where you can ask for ideas and deals. Social media site, not a special site selling cruises. I love my TA so I just look at what they offer. Maybe do some mock bookings and narrow it down to which ships or specific ports.

27 minutes ago, travelbugforever said:

We would like to leave out of any port near NYC

When the kids are out of school (over the summer), your choices are likely limited to Liberty and Symphony out of Cape Liberty. Off season you'd have Odyssey as the choice. You are unlikely to get much a deal on a cabin which holds more than 4.

If family ocean view = ultra spacious ocean view, then I don’t think they’re on Odyssey. There’s a handful of that category on Oasis class and independence class so it could be difficult bagging two of them. 
We’ve used them before and they’re a very good option for families although there are also the same room with a balcony on Oasis class which we love. 

I agree that you're not likely to get a good price on this room. 

Instead, I'd search for two CONNECTING rooms.  This'd allow you to have Mom & Dad in one room, kids just through an interior door, which you can leave open all the time -- the kids won't have to go "out in public" to get to you, and you'd know if someone came into the room.  And you'd get TWO bathrooms.  

Connecting rooms aren't all that numerous, but they're much more numerous than the Family Ocean Views you're considering. 

Posted (edited)

Compare the price on connecting cabins -- the extra bathroom is worth it.

If you want to go family OV, your best value is likely to be on Liberty out of Cape Liberty in the summer. Symphony's prices for the ultraspacious OV (aka family OV) are sky high.

Best combo of rooms on Liberty would be 8200 & 8500, with the couple getting a balcony as far forward as you can on the port side of deck 8 (8200 & 8500 are both accessed through the port side hallway only).

They're the biggest of the family OVs -- the bunk beds are each in their own little room, the main bed gets its own little room, and then you have a little "living room" space. Biggest downside is the 1 bathroom.

Vision has some out of Baltimore...but is it the ideal ship for kids? Eh.

Edited by xtremegk