Discovery versus Saphire

Tedferg

A 4-day, Saphire or 5-day Discovery California Coastal. Pricing gives the edge to Saphire ~ $900. I have heard people say that they really like Saphire. Is Discovery significantly different from Majestic or Royal, we have sailed on several Royal class ships, if it is different then, 'Ship Experience' might be a tie breaker

57 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

A 4-day, Saphire or 5-day Discovery California Coastal. Pricing gives the edge to Saphire ~ $900. I have heard people say that they really like Saphire. Is Discovery significantly different from Majestic or Royal, we have sailed on several Royal class ships, if it is different then, 'Ship Experience' might be a tie breaker

Both are two of my favorite ships & would happily sail both of them again.

I’d prefer Discovery which I’ve sailed 3x including recently for the eclipse cruise. The layout is basically the same as earlier Royal-class ships but I like how Discovery has evolved since Royal was first launched. One of the main differences is how Princess Live has changed from an uncomfortable enclosed TV studio to an open comfortable lounge similar to Explorers Lounge on other classes of ships. Discovery has the very popular The Catch by Rudi which for me was the best Princess specialty restaurant experience. Sapphire does have the wide outside Promenade deck however for me I’d book Discovery.

Each of us has our own desires & price point to decide which is best for each of us.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

If I were going somewhere scenic like Alaska, I'd pick Sapphire for the smaller size and far superior viewing areas.

For a California coastal I'd go Discovery for the better amenities inside. Discovery does have some substantial differences in decor and venues from the early ships in the Royal class. The basic layout remains largely similar, but as the above poster said, Princess Live is way better, and the additional specialty restaurants are nice. 

Edited by Trevelbond
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

The Discovery is the newest Royal Class ship and has had improvements made over the initial Royal ship.  A five day sailing on a new ship compared to a four day sailing on an outdated ship is no comparison for me.  I would choose the Discovery every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

By the way, we spent 14 days on her doing Mexican Riviera and California coastal in April of 2023 and it was fantastic.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy

Posted (edited)

I absolutely love the Discovery but she doesn’t have a Vines wine bar location.  She does have the Catch by Rudi, as well as Sabatini’s and the Crown Grill for specialty dining.  For casual dining venues, she has GiGis pizzeria, the newly opened O’Malley’s Pub and Ocean Terrace sushi.  The Sapphire only has the pizzeria as far as I know.  

Many people like the full wrap around promenade deck, which the Sapphire has and Discovery does not have.  
We are going to try out the Sapphire for the first time in the fall as she sails back into our home port to disembark.  I understand she is a sister to the Diamond, which is the one Princess ship I’d never book again but has some amenities that are missing on the Diamond.  If it weren’t for the additional flight involved, we’d definitely choose the Discovery over the Sapphire, though.  

Forgot to mention, I think the Crown Grill or what is now a Brazilian restaurant is actually part of the buffet area on the Sapphire.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1