USD vs CAD - for American

Apologies in advance if this is a really dumb question. Experienced cruiser (40-50, mostly on HAL) but thus far all of my cruises have been from a US port. I'm a US citizen. Next year we'll be cruising to Alaska, leaving from Vancouver BC. Does it make more sense to book it in USD or should I book it in CAD & use the credit card with zero percent foreign transaction fees? It'll most likely be the Pan Pacific, which is pretty $$$ so if it makes a difference, I'd like to make the right choice. 

Thank you for any replies!

Sue/WDW1972

I take it you're referring to paying for your hotel; not the cruise itself.  Just book the hotel, when you check out you will be charged in CDN $, then just use the credit card that offers you the best exchange rate. 

5 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Does it make more sense to book it in USD or should I book it in CAD & use the credit card with zero percent foreign transaction fees? It'll most likely be the Pan Pacific, which is pretty $$$ so if it makes a difference, I'd like to make the right choice. 

The only way you could book a Canadian hotel in USD would be to book it through a US based third party site like Expedia. Unless it's significantly less most likely not the move here. The Canadian Dollar is trading at $0.73 right now against the US Dollar-- a very favorable exchange rate for a US based person. 

You could prepay directly through the hotel with a credit card that has no international transaction fees and then you would essentially lock in today's exchange rate. Or you could book a normal reservation and you'll pay the exchange rate at the time of checkout with the hope it goes down slightly or at least doesn't go up significantly. 

If you look historically, except for a few months in 2007 and 2011 the Canadian Dollar trades pretty consistently around this rate so really either of those last two options should be fine. 

Thanks to you both. I believe I was on Expedia or similar when I saw the option to specify CAD vs USD (and others). The price for the room wasn't less than the price on Pan Pacific's site, and I always prefer to book directly with the vendor vs with a 3rd party. Since payment isn't required until we're there I'll just book through the vendor site and once there use the credit card with no foreign transaction fees to pay. The slight wrinkle is I'll be booking a room for 2 nights before the cruise for us, and another room the night before the cruise for son & DIL (they don't know) but I should be able to settle that once there since we'll be there first.

Sue/WDW1972

And if you join their loyalty program, Discovery, the room is 10% less.  They seem to frequently offer 'sales' or reduced rates, so keep checking the rate.  We were very happy at the Pan Pacific and will return this year.  Staff were lovely and very helpful.

No need to select the room rate that includes the cruise package.  If you don't want the breakfast at the hotel, there's underground access to some quick service take out places 5" away, including a Tim Horton's.  Anyone can request Bell Services pick up their luggage and transport to the ship, just for the price of a tip......  a service we really appreciated.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The CDN-US dollar exchange rate varies.  It tends to not be dramatic but is guaranteed to be different a year from now.   Pre-paying now locks the rate in.  Guaranteeing with a card and paying at the time of your stay means you will get the exchange that is at play on day your charged.   

It is possible for a merchant to run the transaction through in a different currency (non-local currency).  Looks like the Pan Pacific and Fairmount website are setup to build a reservation in US dollars.   If you ask google, "How much is $234 CDN in USD" it will give you an approximation.   I just had a look at the rates they use look to be close to what the banks would use.  

I think it comes down do you want to lock in your conversation at todays prices or willing to see it ride.   

Do sign up for the loyalty program before booking at you get a discount.  The Fairmount Waterfront is just across the street and equally nice.  Yes, Vancouver has expensive hotel prices during the summer season.  We are talking about two of the premium hotels in the city.    

If you book on the hotel website you may have the option of a rate that can or cant be cancelled up to a few days before checkin.  I would grab that now at a cancelable rate.   If you notice a sale between now and then you can always redo the the booking and cancel the old one.

Edited by em-sk

Thank you everyone! I'm not interested in prepaying to potentially save a few bucks - it makes more sense for me to book (after signing up for their loyalty program) with the ability to cancel 2 days prior to arrival. In the meantime I can keep checking for a better rate & if I find one, rebook & cancel the original reservation. We also don't need the cruise rate, or a big expensive breakfast - so thanks for those comments as well.

Sue/WDW1972

Keep checking Pan Pacific's website. I'm staying next month and booked last year, had two price changes, last one was same price but a package that gave us C$50 day food and beverage credit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2024 at 2:32 PM, ngrund said:

Keep checking Pan Pacific's website. I'm staying next month and booked last year, had two price changes, last one was same price but a package that gave us C$50 day food and beverage credit.

Thanks - I plan to! From your experience, are there certain times of year they're likely to run a lower room rate promo? I'm currently booked for our room at $799 (CAD) plus taxes - just the basic deluxe king room (city view). I still need to book a room for the 2nd night for my son & DIL - it'll be their anniversary gift. Think I'll see anything significantly better than $799/room/night?

Sue/WDW1972

2 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Thanks - I plan to! From your experience, are there certain times of year they're likely to run a lower room rate promo? I'm currently booked for our room at $799 (CAD) plus taxes - just the basic deluxe king room (city view). I still need to book a room for the 2nd night for my son & DIL - it'll be their anniversary gift. Think I'll see anything significantly better than $799/room/night?

Sue/WDW1972

This is my first time going to Vancouver, But when making any reservation I always book, then check prices often.

I don't think they will go much lower-Vancouver is an expensive city and this is prime real estate right by the cruise port.

I'm doing a southbound cruise disembarking in Vancouver, so the ease/speed of just going upstairs is worth the $$. Rooms that were a bit away were not that much cheaper.

Just now, ngrund said:

This is my first time going to Vancouver, But when making any reservation I always book, then check prices often.

I don't think they will go much lower-Vancouver is an expensive city and this is prime real estate right by the cruise port.

I'm doing a southbound cruise disembarking in Vancouver, so the ease/speed of just going upstairs is worth the $$. Rooms that were a bit away were not that much cheaper.

I'm doing the opposite - flying into Vancouver to do northbound. We plan to fly in 2 nights prior - assuming all goes well we can play Vancouver tourist for a day. Son & DIL plan to arrive the next day (1 day before cruise). Vancouver hotel prices are ridiculous, but like you said - they're all crazy high, so might as well stay where it's most convenient. It's only money, and I can spend my son's inheritance anyway I see fit 😉 

Now the next decision - since I'll be paying an astronomical rate for a "regular" view, do I spend the extra and go for the harbor/waterfront view. Compared to the initial room rate the extra is peanuts, and it's doubtful I'll be cruising from here again, lol.

Sue/WDW1972

3 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I'm doing the opposite - flying into Vancouver to do northbound. We plan to fly in 2 nights prior - assuming all goes well we can play Vancouver tourist for a day. Son & DIL plan to arrive the next day (1 day before cruise). Vancouver hotel prices are ridiculous, but like you said - they're all crazy high, so might as well stay where it's most convenient. It's only money, and I can spend my son's inheritance anyway I see fit 😉 

Now the next decision - since I'll be paying an astronomical rate for a "regular" view, do I spend the extra and go for the harbor/waterfront view. Compared to the initial room rate the extra is peanuts, and it's doubtful I'll be cruising from here again, lol.

Sue/WDW1972

That's up to you-but the way I always think is how much time will I spend looking out my hotel window?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Sue/WDW1972

Oh, yes, definitely keep checking, but be sure the rate is refundable.  We have a Pacific Club Harbor View King room for $536 CAD (plus tax) before the cruise and $640 post cruise...... we LOVED Vancouver last year and wanted to spend more time there this year.  (A Pacific Club room is Club Level on top floors, including Concierge, waters and soda pop; a wonderful coffee/hot beverage machine; a hot breakfast buffet plus cereals, pastries, fruits, breads;  pretzels and other snacks during the day; cheese/meats/crackers and some other things during happy hour time; liquor available on an honor system of signing for it; and there could have been some little desert muchies later.  There was actually a larger discount for their loyalty club members on Pacific Club rooms than regular rooms.).  The harbor/mountain view is lovely and very entertaining watching the float planes and cruise ships dock below, but we had time to enjoy this.

I started out with rates at least $150 CAD higher when I first booked during the winter and rebooked several times.  The current rate for the pre-cruise stay was booked a few weeks ago.  Rates are now higher and do seem to be higher as the summer goes on.  Good luck!

• Like 1