Queen Mary 2 Arrives in New York City with the Eternal Flame Honoring the 80th Anniversary of D-Day

bluemarble

This may be well known to some/many of you, but I was not aware QM2 had been carrying an eternal flame from Paris and destined for Arlington as part of QM2's westbound crossing completed earlier today in New York. Here's a link to the Cunard press release.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/queen-mary-2-arrives-new-york-city-eternal-flame-honoring-80th

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

oh wow. What a wonderful thing to do. 

We went to Arlington in 2019 and found it very moving. I've also been to the American Cemetery in Normandy and the British Military Cemetary in Bayeux, where my great uncle is buried. It's important that we continue to remember. 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 7

I was on this crossing and I had some wonderful chats with the young delegates that were transporting the flame.  They had some amazing stories as to what their families had gone through and how thankful they were to the Americans.  It was a great experience to see and hear this.

• Like 4

I find this particularly moving because, while my grandfather was parachuting into Normandy on D-Day, his father was working aboard the original Queen Mary. It really does bring the two together for me.

• Like 7