QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

I wish I'd taken a photograph of the pink oriental lilies on display  for the last few days of the Canary cruise. The perfume was wonderful and the display, even more so.

Cunard certainly have knack with their atrium floral displays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I appreciate that I am probably over thinking this, due to my hope that we can see things from our balcony. However, logic says that the ship will remain in this orientation throughout.

There are only 3 options. Starboard to shore, port to shore or bow to shore. The latter would block the Mersey! If we were going to be port to shore, we surely wouldn’t have turned around on arrival. We would have berthed on the port side and then just pulled forward for the festivities, but then we’d have to turn around to dock again.

By far the easiest option from where we are now is to reverse back for the festivities (as we did on QM2), then just pull forward back on to the terminal, from where we proceed forward when we depart.

I shall ask the restaurant to have a slice of humble pie ready for me at dinner if my theory proves to be wrong 😂 

Cunard have been allowed to block the Mersey before!  As the fireworks last year were fairly impromptu and arranged late these will presumably be more in line with the other celebrations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Cunard have been allowed to block the Mersey before!  As the fireworks last year were fairly impromptu and arranged late these will presumably be more in line with the other celebrations.

Did you see where the stage is MB? Is it behind us up past the Three Graces? I didn’t notice it as we came in but only looked out briefly from within the cabin!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Did you see where the stage is MB? Is it behind us up past the Three Graces? I didn’t notice it as we came in but only looked out briefly from within the cabin!

Yes, it's adjacent to the Quay area, not as far up as the Graces, just before the Cunard building.

20240603_062437.jpg

Edited by Megabear2

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I appreciate that I am probably over thinking this, due to my hope that we can see things from our balcony. However, logic says that the ship will remain in this orientation throughout.

There are only 3 options. Starboard to shore, port to shore or bow to shore. The latter would block the Mersey! If we were going to be port to shore, we surely wouldn’t have turned around on arrival. We would have berthed on the port side and then just pulled forward for the festivities, but then we’d have to turn around to dock again.

By far the easiest option from where we are now is to reverse back for the festivities (as we did on QM2), then just pull forward back on to the terminal, from where we proceed forward when we depart.

I shall ask the restaurant to have a slice of humble pie ready for me at dinner if my theory proves to be wrong 😂 

I have my fingers crossed that your overthinking is correct🤞

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, it's adjacent to the Quay area, not as far up as the Graces, just before the Cunard building.

20240603_062437.jpg

Thanks. That still fits with my theory 😂

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, happy v said:

I hope you have your dress ready for this afternoon MB. Enjoy the concert 

Oh yes, all ready.  Shoe dilemma at present but my special Maestro dress is ready and waiting.  The weather is not quite the same as the past two years but I'll still be wearing it.

Funnily my phone thinks I'm in Mestre, Venice!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

Just now, exlondoner said:

Isn’t that lovely?

Indeed, it's obviously meant to be as I saw Andrea Bocelli in Marostica, about 50 miles from Venice, in 2022.  Clearly my 'phone has wonderful memories!

• Haha 2

My husband just made an observation I fear is correct.  He believes we are looking at the rear of the stage.  The large area where onlookers are now milling about is where the audience would be accommodated.  Say it isn’t so!!!

The photos are really gorgeous.I am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks( I’m such a softie) at what a wonderful day is ahead of you all.Can imagine how excited everyone is.Enjoy 😘

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

20240603_062437.jpg

That's definitely the rear of the stage. There are about 400 seats in front obscured in this view and the a huge open going way back beyond the Cunard building and statue of the Beetles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

My husband just made an observation I fear is correct.  He believes we are looking at the rear of the stage.  The large area where onlookers are now milling about is where the audience would be accommodated.  Say it isn’t so!!!

We are going off the ship shortly. I’ll try to work it out. 

There is a lot of coverage on the local newspaper for Liverpool, the Liverpool Echo - photos from their own photographers galore. This one really caught my eye, including the Gormley installation called Another Place in Crosby. More, much more, here:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/gallery/first-pictures-cunards-queen-anne-29282035

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/live-updates-cunard-queen-anne-29280535

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/gallery/70-stunning-pictures-inside-cunards-29264826

image.thumb.png.bd01bc98120c42c040f9211cde6d7a8d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is the stage and screen in relation to the ship. If, as I suspect, we reverse back so that the bow of the ship is by the stage, those at the front, starboard side will have the best view. Those towards the aft may have their view obscured by the Mersey Ferries building. 50/50 for us as we are midships. 

As for Godparent, still no news? With all the secrecy and Godparent term I’m wondering - The King?

IMG_2173.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As for Godparent, still no news? With all the secrecy and Godparent term I’m wondering - The King?

It's always a lady as far as I know, and that applies to all ships not just Cunard.

12 minutes ago, jay1283 said:

It's always a lady as far as I know, and that applies to all ships not just Cunard.

I thought so too, hence my theory that it would be The Queen. I was just wondering, as they’ve used the term Godparent rather than Godmother. Perhaps it’s to do with all this gender neutral nonsense. It will be a they / them! 😂

If it’s not The King or The Queen then I am at a loss as to why all the secrecy. Princess Anne’s engagements are publicised well in advance. 

• Like 3

It appears the Cat is now out of the Bag !  Taking the centre stage at todays ceremony It has been reported up in Liverpool that Roberta Mundula who is already the 'Godmother' is truly thrilled and humbled by her role on the quayside .

So if Roberta is  Queen Anne Godmother she is also a Godparent  I would think 🤔

May not be a Royal after all 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

It appears the Cat is now out of the Bag !  Taking the centre stage at todays ceremony It has been reported up in Liverpool that Roberta Mundula who is already the 'Godmother' is truly thrilled and humbled by her role on the quayside .

My understanding is that the usual practice is for somebody connected to either the line or the shipbuilder to stand as madrina until the official naming ceremony.

Maureen Ryan, who I'm sure many will have sailed with, was madrina to Queen Victoria, until Camilla took over the role at the naming ceremony.

Edited by Clewgarnet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I read that article but assumed it just referred to the shipyard? Whilst it would be an enormous anticlimax, it would be quite funny if after all the secrecy it was someone that nobody has heard of. Just rejoined the ship and walked the red carpet, so I’m still optimistic 🤞

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

This is the stage and screen in relation to the ship. If, as I suspect, we reverse back so that the bow of the ship is by the stage, those at the front, starboard side will have the best view. Those towards the aft may have their view obscured by the Mersey Ferries building. 50/50 for us as we are midships. 

IMG_2173.jpeg

Any helicopters landing for a pick-up at Gatcombe Park?