What restaurant on Grandeur for special birthday

Posted (edited)

Looking for advice my wife  will be on Grandeur later in the year for the 1st time

leaving from miami. I will be celebrating my 70 th birthday onboard Is there any particular restaurant  that you would choose for the occasion.

I like steaks, Italian & french food etc so type of food is not that important 

What was your favourite restaurant onboard and would recommend . I will try and choose  it on planner when it opens up for reservations later in the year

Edited by eric4395

We have celebrated significant milestones in our lives when aboard Radisson/Regent. 

You can't go wrong in ANY dining venue whether Compass Rose (CR) or one of Grandeur's three other specialty (reservations required) restaurants.  Want "bells and whistles" if celebrating with friends also-aboard?  That would be CR.  

The CR basic menu features selected entrees from the other restaurants each night. Or, should you want a special meal to go-along with your birthday celebration--give restaurant management at-least 24-hours notice.  

A quieter venue?  Prime 7. Table for two. Special wine.  

Suggest advising your Travel Agent of this event well in advance of the trip.  The "word" will be passed along. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

We always use Prime 7 for our anniversaries.  One time Ray arranged for the trio Nature's Rhythm to serenade us during dinner.  We have never been disappointed having special dinners in Primer 7 on any of the ships.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Our favorite Specialty restaurant on Grandeur was Pacific Rim.  But if you want to celebrate, and like French food, I'd choose Chartreuse.  For me it just seems more "fancy" than Prime 7 or Pacific Rim.  The others are wonderful, but there's something about a French Restaurant that says "elegant and classy" to me, and a place for a special celebration like a birthday or anniversary.  Personal opinion of course, you really can't go wrong at any of the restaurants.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

I agree with @papaflamingoon this. If I could only book one extra dinner it would probably be at Pacific Rim but if I want a special dining experience I would choose Chartreuse. And I would ask for a table by the aft windows. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies everyone, as I suspected I don't think I can go wrong in food choice selection in any of them. I've had a quick look at the sample menus and would be happy with all of them 

Perhaps it would be down to the nicest setting and seats for 2 probably with a lovely view  looking out over the sea if there is any  of the restaurants that provides this.

3 minutes ago, eric4395 said:

Perhaps it would be down to the nicest setting and seats for 2 probably with a lovely view  looking out over the sea if there is any  of the restaurants that provides this.

If that is your top priority then go to Chartreuse and ask for a window table at the rear of the restaurant. By far our favorite spot for dinner or lunch (when open for lunch).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

I agree with @papaflamingoon this. If I could only book one extra dinner it would probably be at Pacific Rim but if I want a special dining experience I would choose Chartreuse. And I would ask for a table by the aft windows. 

I would also agree with this. Chartreuse or Prime 7. Definitely let them know in advance as they will make it special. Happy early Birthday!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJANDH said:

If that is your top priority then go to Chartreuse and ask for a window table at the rear of the restaurant. By far our favorite spot for dinner or lunch (when open for lunch).

I noticed  prime 7  & chartreuse both on level 10 side by side looking much the same set up. Any reason for chartreuse in particular. 

I would choose P7 as better two tops.  Also, the bar is manned at P7 so you can have a pre-dinner cocktail before you get seated.  Don't know time of year or where you will be but another option is the balcony at Sette Mari.  Having dinner under the stars is just heavenly.  You don't have to partake of the buffets; you can have everything served to you and make the dinner as leisurely as you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eric4395 said:

I noticed  prime 7  & chartreuse both on level 10 side by side looking much the same set up. Any reason for chartreuse in particular. 

I have a spouse that is not big on meat dishes. Chartreuse offers a better selection for her while still giving me some great meat options.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'll have a birthday on our November Grandeur cruise. We've sailed Grandeur twice already, and I'd be happy at any of the venues, though Sette Mari is certainly the most "casual." Prime 7 is the most bougie, and Chartreuse the most "fancy." Then again, Compass Rose has the wow factor of that gorgeous room, especially if you can snag a table in the center section right at the entrance; there's great people watching from there, and I feel like a VIP when sitting there. 

Edited by GMIAC
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, GMIAC said:

I'll have a birthday on our November Grandeur cruise. We've sailed Grandeur twice already, and I'd be happy at any of the venues, though Sette Mari is certainly the most "casual." Prime 7 is the most bougie, and Chartreuse the most "fancy." Then again, Compass Rose has the wow factor of that gorgeous room, especially if you can snag a table in the center section right at the entrance; there's great people watching from there, and I feel like a VIP when sitting there. 

I’ll be onboard on my wedding anniversary and Grandeur departs at 8pm in a beautiful location so I’d prefer a lovely table for 2 outside Sette Mari for the sail out..Weather is forecast to be lovely hopefully.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poppy1966 said:

I’ll be onboard on my wedding anniversary and Grandeur departs at 8pm in a beautiful location so I’d prefer a lovely table for 2 outside Sette Mari for the sail out..Weather is forecast to be lovely hopefully.  

Sette Mari is non reservation. So get to the restaurant at least 15 minutes before opening to ensure you're at the front of the line.  Tell them it's your anniversary and you would like an intimate table outside.  I'm sure they'll accommodate you. 

Happy Anniversary!!! 

1 minute ago, Poppy1966 said:

That sounds really nice.

Here’s a tip: Try to get seated just before sunset, or whatever your preferred time is. What we do at Sette Mari (no reservations) is to check in about an hour before that time and request a table then. We then tell the maitre d’ that we’re going to one of the lounges for a cocktail (or two), and they’ll call that lounge with the table is ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Sette Mari is non reservation. So get to the restaurant at least 15 minutes before opening to ensure you're at the front of the line.  Tell them it's your anniversary and you would like an intimate table outside.  I'm sure they'll accommodate you. 

Happy Anniversary!!! 

Thank you so much, very kind. I’ve sailed previously but just not on Grandeur .  
Since I live in a not so warm place we love eating outside in lovely weather given the chance as we rarely can here..  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

That sounds really nice.

Here’s a tip: Try to get seated just before sunset, or whatever your preferred time is. What we do at Sette Mari (no reservations) is to check in about an hour before that time and request a table then. We then tell the maitre d’ that we’re going to one of the lounges for a cocktail (or two), and they’ll call that lounge with the table is ready. 

Thank you so much..appreciate it..we have sailed out of this port before and it’s a lovely sail out. Just looking forward to having a lovely meal too..

19 hours ago, eric4395 said:

It’s entirely subjective. Chartreuse just feels a little more “fancy” to me. If you choose Chartreuse the mushroom soup is mmm-mmm good. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

It’s entirely subjective. Chartreuse just feels a little more “fancy” to me. If you choose Chartreuse the mushroom soup is mmm-mmm good. 

It seems funny to rave about a soup, but the mushroom soup at Cartreuse really is the best ever!

• Like 1

All have good food.  We have celebrated all our big events at P7.  We found chartreuse a little too subdued and didn't want to disturb the atmosphere whereas P7 seems a little livelier and fit better as we were serenaded.  Depends on how you want to celebrate it.  If you have a Butler, he can make some special things happen.  

• Like 1