Which port to buy Alcohol in?

lillulu

Which port is cheaper to buy alcohol in? Grand Cayman or Cozumel? Anyone know.

Thanks in advance.

*side note, the kinds I am looking to purchase, Captain Morgan Rum, Jose

Cuervo Tequila, Kahlua, Peach Schnapps.

I have always found Kahula to be very inexpensive in Coz. I would look a bit before buy Jose Cuervo Tequilla, I think you can get some much better ones in Coz for about the same price. Can't comment about GC, haven't been there.

alcohol is taxed HEAVILY in GC (someone reported a yard of banana daiquiri at Senor Frogs there was $24!!!), so I'd DEFINATELY say Cozumel. Another option would be to buy it on the ship, and not spend your whole day in port sniffing out booze prices (they're pretty comparable on the ship, I think) and then having to either lug it all day with you, until you go back to the ship, or arrange for it to be delievered (with any luck) to the ship. As far as the brands you're looking for, I'm a bit confused by the "peach schnapps"...that stuff is pretty darn cheap HERE.

We were in Grand Cayman again in November and we took a horseback riding tour and the very nice gentleman that took us stopped at a local store to pick us up some soda's and so I looked at the prices of alcohol and it was VERY expensive. I asked him about this because I always buy Captain Morgan at the shops right near the cruise ship there and they deliver it for us. He said they are not allowed to buy from those shops as they are duty free and you cannot be a resident and purchase it. The prices were only a few cents cheaper than on the ship, but if you buy a couple of bottles, it's worth it as you walk right buy them on your way to the ship. In Cozumel, I've only bought some "Mexican Tequila" and I think I got some Kahlua there on our first cruise. Again, the prices aren't a whole lot cheaper. I would buy it on the ship or in Grand Cayman, since both will deliver it to your room and in Cozumel you will have to carry it around. The cruise ships usually have good prices on all the alcohol. I buy my boss a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue whenever we go and save it for the holidays! Way cheaper than here!

Good luck!!

Jennifer

Well, thanks everyone, guess I will be looking at the ships prices. I know in San Juan we got it really cheap. Cheaper then the boat, was hopeing for the same here.

Mamaparrothead: A dear friend asked me to ask lol. So I did. I guess they thought it might be cheaper.

My experience is that the better prices for bottles of liquor (as opposed to liquor by the drink) are in the Tortuga Rum store on the main street just left of the tender docking area in Grand Cayman. Kahlua may the lone exception since it is so prevalent in Cozumel. For several years I waited until arriving in Cozumel to buy liquor, then I discovered this store. Better prices than on board ship as well. Both Cozumel and this store are far cheaper than here in the states so you'll do well either way. zneither of these can compare to St. martin though where a liter of Crown Royal is just $12.00. Enjoy.

Bill

My experience is that the better prices for bottles of liquor (as opposed to liquor by the drink) are in the Tortuga Rum store on the main street just left of the tender docking area in Grand Cayman. Kahlua may the lone exception since it is so prevalent in Cozumel. For several years I waited until arriving in Cozumel to buy liquor, then I discovered this store. Better prices than on board ship as well. Both Cozumel and this store are far cheaper than here in the states so you'll do well either way. zneither of these can compare to St. martin though where a liter of Crown Royal is just $12.00. Enjoy.

Bill

That is my experience as well!!! The Tortuga store is great... on the things I drink, best prices I have seen in the Western Carib. As far as taxes... you are buying duty free, so that shouldn't be an issue. If you have over your limit, you will pay duty, but it's not very high at all, a few dollars. The Tortuga shop in GC is where I buy all my liquor... You don't have a choice, they deliver it to the ship, which is a bonus to me :D

There are a number of Tortuga Rum Cake factory stores around Grand Cayman and they are all the same company. You can buy your rum cakes there along with duty free liquor. I was surprised, but the flavored vodka I saw in the store in Grand Cayman was $1/bottle cheaper than on our ship. Generally, you'll find Cozumel cheapest on most brands, especially anything Mexican like tequila (many local brands available) and Kahlua.

Ship prices are very competitive and there is no hassle carrying bottles around. I always recommend people to jot down ship prices and then take your list into port with you to compare.

BobK/Orlando

Is this store cheaper than the Factory? We will be going there on our excursion.

Don't get excited about seeing any of the factory. We were there in June aboard the Rhapsody and the tour consisted of a run down store with samples of the cakes. I thought we'd get to see some of the production, but not a chance. The store also serves as a convenience store for the area, so I took the pineapple sample tray and walked around...

It was raining, and we had little else to do!

Cozumel is by far your best bet, but certainly check the prices on the ship. We have found, when doing the western Caribbean the ship prices are as good as they get with the exception of Kahlua and maybe Jose Cuervo. Those you need to price both places. NMnita

Archived