Foal Caribbean Tours

We are booked on Harmony of the Seas in August sailing to Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We would like to book a Segway tour in Costa Maya but RCC says that the cutoff age for this tour is 70 and we are older than this but in good physical condition and have ridden segways previously.  Does RCC actually check for age when this tour is booked?

1 minute ago, Cruising Floridians said:

We are booked on Harmony of the Seas in August sailing to Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We would like to book a Segway tour in Costa Maya but RCC says that the cutoff age for this tour is 70 and we are older than this but in good physical condition and have ridden segways previously.  Does RCC actually check for age when this tour is booked?

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

You need to ask the cruiseline.

If the cruiseline/ship is running the excursion, then from your guest documents, they'll know exactly how old you are.  So IF at the last minute they bump you and don't give you a refund, you'll have no recourse.

OTOH, if you are using an independent operator, I suppose you could, er, "pretend".  However, I would not recommend that.

But I might contact them (either way) to ASK if participation would be allowed.

GC

3 minutes ago, Cruising Floridians said:

I have no experience with RCC, but the cruise lines I've been on do, indeed, hold to their age restrictions.  Generally it's the insurance companies that make those restrictions.

Sometimes, if you can find the same excursion, an independent one, not booked through the cruise line, they have different (or no) age restrictions.

On 5/29/2024 at 4:44 AM, Shmoo here said:

Generally it's the insurance companies that make those restrictions.

What insurance? Don't they usually make you sign a waiver that you could die and they are not responsible for anything?

Tried to book a UTV excursion a 2 years ago for myself, DH and my dad (78 at the time). Our reservations were linked so I could do all the bookings for dinner, excursions, etc. When booking this particular excursion, I was able to click on DH’s name and mine but not my dad’s. Tried multiple times until I realized it kept giving me an error stating age restriction. Sure enough, when i reread the tour description, it stated that the upper age limit was 65. I called and was also told I could not book the tour for him. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Brandis said:

What insurance? Don't they usually make you sign a waiver that you could die and they are not responsible for anything?

Waiver or not, the age restriction guidelines are typically determined by the cruise line's liability insurance carrier and/or the third party excursion operator and is not the determination of the cruise line.  The cruise line and contracted excursion operators carry liability insurance, and just because you may sign a waiver does not exclude the possibility of a lawsuit being brought against the cruise line or them for any number of reasons. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Here's another idea for you.  We are also in Costa Maya in August on Harmony.  We are renting a golf cart through Red Shirts Golf Carts. We did this years ago and it's a great way to see everything and really fun.

On 5/28/2024 at 9:39 PM, Cruising Floridians said:

Yep. Insurance issue. Will check your age every time. As I well know being over 70.

Yes they will check. I even tried at the shore excursion desk the night before thinking they may be more lenient in selling those last few spots ... but as soon as she pulled up my reservation she sadly advised I exceeded the max age.

The good news is that it's operator specific ... not related to the segway itself. Book yourself a cruise to Bermuda (which is a great port call, BTW) and you'll be able to book a segway tour. I had a wonderful experience that day ... and despite the fact that I was the only one who booked it, the tour operator didn't cancel. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy giving me a private tour of the island.