Lesson Learned - do NOT buy airfare through NCL!

I would be so pissed and disappointed, but this is the reason I always purchase travel insurance , in addition to Ncl insurance.  I would spend as much as possible to get to the ship on time, then submit all my receipts to get reimbursed from the travel insurance agency.  I do agree that after a fiasco like that, I would not use NCL BOGO again.  I used it once and had a great experience, maybe I was lucky, who knows.

• Like 5

Back when I was at Megacorp, I told people there were three things I would never let anybody else do for me:

a) raise my kids

b) hire staff for my department

c) make my travel arrangements

Well, the kids are grown, Megacorp is far in the distance in the rear view mirror, and I still refuse to let anybody else make my travel arrangements.  All it takes is one crappy experience like the OP unfortunately went through to make this crystal clear.  Hopefully others can learn this without going through it themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I do agree that after a fiasco like that, I would not use NCL BOGO again.  I used it once and had a great experience, maybe I was lucky, who knows.

How is the fact that they used BOGO relevant to what happened? Everyone else on the same plane had the same issues. Now, if it had been an issue of a short layover (which NCL unfortunately does do at times), I might lay some blame on NCL. But not the case here.

And for what it's worth, I've used BOGO a number of times and have had issues with flights, but fortunately on the return. And, by using the number that NCL provides with the flight information, I have ALWAYS been able to make contact with NCL - and yes, in the middle of the night. In those instances I've managed to get things resolved through the airline but NCL was aware of the issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

How is the fact that they used BOGO relevant to what happened? Everyone else on the same plane had the same issues. Now, if it had been an issue of a short layover (which NCL unfortunately does do at times), I might lay some blame on NCL. But not the case here.

And for what it's worth, I've used BOGO a number of times and have had issues with flights, but fortunately on the return. And, by using the number that NCL provides with the flight information, I have ALWAYS been able to make contact with NCL - and yes, in the middle of the night. In those instances I've managed to get things resolved through the airline but NCL was aware of the issue.

i thought i read in the original post, they used NCL air, if that's the case , then its relevant ( they are blaming NCL AND the airline). Im just saying, I understand the anger, but having travel insurance should refund any monies they spent in order to get to the cruise on time.

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

All it takes is one crappy experience like the OP unfortunately went through to make this crystal clear.  Hopefully others can learn this without going through it themselves.

My worst airline cancellation/reschedule, trying to get to Quebec City for a tour (not a cruise) was with flights I booked myself... Flight was on time...on time...all the way to the airport. 15 minutes from the airport - flight cancelled.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

i thought i read in the original post, they used NCL air, if that's the case , then its relevant ( they are blaming NCL AND the airline). Im just saying, I understand the anger, but having travel insurance should refund any monies they spent in order to get to the cruise on time.

Yes, they took the NCL BOGO offer. NCL bought tickets on an airline. The airline delayed the flights, not NCL. So the fact that they booked airfare through NCL is not relevant to the outcome. Their tickets were no different from what they could have booked themselves.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I'm so sorry this happened. It's part of why I do everything piecemeal by myself on a trip. I need the control of all aspects. I learned my lesson about 18 years ago with Orbitz, about how 3rd parties save you so much money and it's wonderful when it all goes to plan; But when it doesn't, it becomes a bigger nightmare than if I had booked direct.

So agree @Ellis1138!  As also mentioned by @ChiefMateJRK, I keep my flight arrangement under my control, preferably with one reliable carrier, early in the day with alternate options, and with enough cushion to suffer long delays.  I'm assuming most of you seasoned cruisers do the same.

To the OP @rivkadr:  welcome to cruise critic.  The high cost of the money,stress, and aggravation of what you suffered really sucks.  I hope you can somehow recoup the money spent on your last minute flight.  I hope you can take a deep breath and enjoy the remaining days of your cruise.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Yes, they took the NCL BOGO offer. NCL bought tickets on an airline. The airline delayed the flights, not NCL. So the fact that they booked airfare through NCL is not relevant to the outcome. Their tickets were no different from what they could have booked themselves.

I may not (probably do not) understand, but I assumed that going from Newark to Chicago to get to Athens was a crappy itinerary from the start.  Anybody who has flown knows that layovers are the number one failure point in getting from point A to point B reliably.  I had one experience with NCL booking my air (to/from Honolulu).  The departure itinerary had a very short layover at LAX, that resulted in us having to do the OJ thing through the airport.  It was on a puddle jumper that apparently had to wait for the big boys to clear out before they could get a gate.  Flight was on time but we sat for about a half hour before being able to pull into the gate.  The return flight was on time, but on time meant it departed from HI at around 9 PM and had us getting home when it was daylight (yes, next morning).  We just had our second HI cruise and booked a non-stop that was uneventful.  That's my lesson learned.  I'm not giving NCL air a second chance.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I hope you can somehow recoup the money spent on your last minute flight.  I hope you can take a deep breath and enjoy the remaining days of your cruise.

A few things I've learned along the way, regardless of who books your flights. 

If you have the time, do NOT cancel your flight, especially if you have booked through NCL (or possibly any 3rd party) - the refund will most likely go back to NCL and you will have to pay for your new flight. The airline is obligated to find you another flight, at no additional cost. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean a flight that gets you to your destination in time - but if you can find a flight that works - ask for it! Google is your friend. I've gotten on alternative flights more than once when I gave them the flight information and didn't rely on their search. So I usually print out a list of alternative flights before I ever leave for the airport, just in case.

If you know your flight is has been delayed, go to the desk and see if they can move you to a different flight/different route. The early bird gets the empty seat on the next available plane. And some of the reps will actually listen when you tell them you won't make the connection. You do risk your luggage taking a different route, so proceed with caution.

After the fact, you might also get some compensation from the airline. SW automatically sent me a $100 voucher for a 1-hr delay that didn't even affect my plans.

Canadian airlines have strict rules, I got $700+ when they messed up my flights (I did have to ask for that one). 

I don't know about other airlines, but it never hurts to ask.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I may not (probably do not) understand, but I assumed that going from Newark to Chicago to get to Athens was a crappy itinerary from the start.  Anybody who has flown knows that layovers are the number one failure point in getting from point A to point B reliably.  I had one experience with NCL booking my air (to/from Honolulu).  The departure itinerary had a very short layover at LAX, that resulted in us having to do the OJ thing through the airport.  It was on a puddle jumper that apparently had to wait for the big boys to clear out before they could get a gate.  Flight was on time but we sat for about a half hour before being able to pull into the gate.  The return flight was on time, but on time meant it departed from HI at around 9 PM and had us getting home when it was daylight (yes, next morning).  We just had our second HI cruise and booked a non-stop that was uneventful.  That's my lesson learned.  I'm not giving NCL air a second chance.

OP has said that they are in Michigan and had to drive two hours to get to airport where they could get Delta to Athens. That tells me they are in a small town in Michigan, probably not a lot of flight options. Once you miss that evening flight heading across the pond you are pretty much stuck going the next day. . It’s not like a domestic flight with a lot of options, though you probably don’t have a lot of options from a small airport anyway.  Even if OP had booked themselves the same thing would have likely happened. When flying across the pond always better to book at least 2 days before the cruise, though 3 is better. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Although costly and a major hassle the OP did book a flight the day before.  That was a good decision.  I  have used BOGO once and would not use it again unless very good deal.  I had good flights for my trip to Australia but the return trip was delayed by the closing of the Aukland airport due to flooding.  The airline is solely responsible at this point.  NCL air was helpful in telling me the words to say to the airline rep(sorry I don't remember the phrase).  Hawaiian air  rep did get me on a flight two days later back home.  I was lucky as most people were delayed for a week.  Now for the "strategy" I used to get a flight only 2 days delayed.  Before calling NCL and Hawaiian I went on Expedia and booked the last seats available for a flight 2 days later.  It cost $3800 but I knew I had 24 hours to cancel.  I then went thru NCL air and Hawaiian.  Once connected to Hawaiian rep and they agreed to reschudle for no cost I canceled the Expedia booking and the seats showed up for the rep.  The only additional hassle was the back and forth from Airline saying I booked thru a third party and had to deal with them and NCL saying they couldn't help.  It was the NCL's rep that finally gave me the wording to say to the airline.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was just watching a youtube video of a family first time cruising with NCL.  They were raving at the price they got for the cruise and their airfare booking directly with NCL.  They were sailing Joy out of Miami and traveling from Canada.  They were a bit confused that because they were booked in different cabins their flights and airlines were all different even though they booked the cruise together.  The guy was flying into Ft Lauderdale on one airline and his mother was flying into Miami on a different airline.  They were not complaining and everything worked out.  They seemed happy that they saved money.  But this is something I would never do no matter how inexpensive it was. I would not want to fly on different airlines and arrive in different cities with my family.  Would you do it if you saved lots of money?

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

I always look for the next alternative when booking flights .Luckily I live in LA so lots of choices.  I have flight numbers with me that would get me to my destination in a reasonable time. One time going from Burbank(small airport) to SFO (on to Amsterdam) I booked a fully refundable ticket on Southwest leaving an hour later than my flight just in case it was cancelled/delayed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I was just watching a youtube video of a family first time cruising with NCL.  They were raving at the price they got for the cruise and their airfare booking directly with NCL.  They were sailing Joy out of Miami and traveling from Canada.  They were a bit confused that because they were booked in different cabins their flights and airlines were all different even though they booked the cruise together.  The guy was flying into Ft Lauderdale on one airline and his mother was flying into Miami on a different airline.  They were not complaining and everything worked out.  They seemed happy that they saved money.  But this is something I would never do no matter how inexpensive it was. I would not want to fly on different airlines and arrive in different cities with my family.  Would you do it if you saved lots of money?

While I don't usually travel with family, I'd go with the savings if significant. You're going to be with your family the entire cruise, what's a few hours apart. Book the NCL shuttle from the airport, meet again at the terminal. But that is assuming that each party has someone capable of navigating airports, etc. - and probably not if there are small children involved.

I just skimmed the responses and did not see if this very important point was addressed…

I’m assuming the tickets you purchased on Delta were one-way. Since you “no-showed” for your United flight, you’ll want to confirm that your return flight(s) on United have not been canceled. 

• Like 3

United Airlines has a very good app. As soon as flights are delayed resulting in missed connections, it allows you to change to a new flight itinerary on the app. Way easier than waiting in a line or calling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefish17 said:

United Airlines has a very good app. As soon as flights are delayed resulting in missed connections, it allows you to change to a new flight itinerary on the app. Way easier than waiting in a line or calling.

American has the same thing. We had a major delay on a flight a couple of years ago and I was able to rebook us on another flight using the app.

On 5/29/2024 at 6:38 AM, Acruzaholic said:

I would never never never let NCL handle the air flights.Did it once-learned lesson you will get the worst departure/connections times, and cheapest flights they can find.

yes yes YES agree.

Soo many folks look for convenience and less price.  I for one like to control my flights and pay attention to connection times is most important.

Cruise lines want to sell you a room and offer air as a plus but it is not really doing one any favors.  And they do not always help with things go wrong. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I for one like to control my flights and pay attention to connection times is most important.

I generally agree with you, but it's a bit of a misnomer to say "I like to control my flights." You don't, you only control the reservation. What happens to the flights is beyond your control. If a plane is delayed, there's a crew shortage, or bad weather, you have 0 control. The only difference here is that NCL did the reserving. What happens after that isn't on them.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

I generally agree with you, but it's a bit of a misnomer to say "I like to control my flights." You don't, you only control the reservation. What happens to the flights is beyond your control. If a plane is delayed, there's a crew shortage, or bad weather, you have 0 control. The only difference here is that NCL did the reserving. What happens after that isn't on them.

you do control the SELECTION of your flights and the connection flights at the time of booking.

NCL will assign more flights that are not non stop or that have shortest connections.

What I am saying is NCL might not have the best choices.  Of course things can come up and I am not stupid I know this.  But plan for flights with better connections to absorb things that could go wrong.   

Another point to make is that I think when these kinds of delays and missed connections start to happen, you are always better off at a big airport than at a small airport. If it was me, I would have flown to Chicago and spent the night there because there are so many more options to get from Chicago to Athens instead of small regional airport to Athens.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

But plan for flights with better connections to absorb things that could go wrong. 

I agree with that. I think it *can* be risky (can, not must be) to book flights that are too close together. However, the initial post on this thread, and why we're discussing this issue, is that the original flight time changed from something like 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm, which made it increasingly likely that the OP would miss a connecting flight at 6. So again, regardless of whether the passenger booked the flight himself, through NCL, or through a travel agent, the postponement of the flight is beyond his control. So blaming NCL, once again, is blaming the wrong party. To sum it up, you can book flights that have generous connecting times, but if a flight gets delayed and delayed, no matter how much leeway you built in, you might still miss a connection.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, bluefish17 said:

Another point to make is that I think when these kinds of delays and missed connections start to happen, you are always better off at a big airport than at a small airport. If it was me, I would have flown to Chicago and spent the night there because there are so many more options to get from Chicago to Athens instead of small regional airport to Athens.

True, and I feel very fortunate to live in the DC area where we have 3 airports to choose from; not everyone does.

23 hours ago, zqvol said:

OP has said that they are in Michigan and had to drive two hours to get to airport where they could get Delta to Athens. That tells me they are in a small town in Michigan, probably not a lot of flight options. Once you miss that evening flight heading across the pond you are pretty much stuck going the next day. . It’s not like a domestic flight with a lot of options, though you probably don’t have a lot of options from a small airport anyway.  Even if OP had booked themselves the same thing would have likely happened. When flying across the pond always better to book at least 2 days before the cruise, though 3 is better. 

Absolutely agree with arriving at least 2 days before any overseas cruises.  Allows for delays as well as gets you over any jet lag before the cruise.  Also, you get to have a day or two exploring your departure city.  We are from Canada and even plan to arrive in any U.S. departure cities a day or two ahead as well.  Our very first cruise we had a flight to Hawaii with a flight change in Salt Lake City that arrived same day as cruise departure.  Winter weather delayed our flights a bit at each stop and we arrived at the departure port with only 2 hours to spare.  Since then, we always leave lots of time for weather and/or flight delays.

• Like 2