If I booked & cancelled a trip with an onboard open booking, do I lose the deposit?

KKB

I had a cruise booked for July that I had to cancel.

It was made with an open booking, so $200 down.

I know if you don't use the open booking deposit within a certain time, they simply refund it.

But if I had to cancel, do I lose the credit or do I have a $200 credit now? 

(I don't see it anywhere on my online account...but goodness knows that doesn't mean anything!)

Agree with Spudd --- if you booked non-refunable you will loose.   If you have a refundable I would presume you will get it back.   Best to ask your agent or Celebrity. 

Also, when did you do the open booking?  If you booked refundable, and before January, you'll get it back.  If it's refundable, you'd get it back, but not if the open booking expired.  

I guess ask - it's getting complicated.

Posted (edited)

A couple weeks ago, I cancelled a cruise that I booked with "Book Later" certificate and a Non-refundable deposit. At the same time, I booked a completely different cruise and I was able to transfer the certificate to the new booking. I had to pay the $100.00 transfer fee, but I still got the onboard credit. I had purchased the certificate more than a year ago, maybe even a year and a half.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do use a travel agent. I asked him to check for me. He handled it for me and I am not completely sure how he went about it.

Edited by Tudy
clarification

Hmmm...I bought the open booking last year...not exactly sure when I booked/cancelled the trip I'm referring to.

Would my credit show up anywhere on my account if I had one, or do I need to call?

20 hours ago, KKB said:

Hmmm...I bought the open booking last year...not exactly sure when I booked/cancelled the trip I'm referring to.

Would my credit show up anywhere on my account if I had one, or do I need to call?

Hummmm, I hate to tell you to call because you could get a gazillion different answers. But, I think that is your best option. I am assuming. you did not used a travel agent?

On 5/29/2024 at 3:06 PM, KKB said:

I had a cruise booked for July that I had to cancel.

It was made with an open booking, so $200 down.

I know if you don't use the open booking deposit within a certain time, they simply refund it.

But if I had to cancel, do I lose the credit or do I have a $200 credit now? 

(I don't see it anywhere on my online account...but goodness knows that doesn't mean anything!)

The onboard booking benefits and rules are frequently changing so call. However,I think you lose $200 if you cancel or transfer. If you never selected a sailing, then you would receive the $200 back in typically a year even though you need to book in 3 to 6 months to receive the OBC. The benefit is the lower deposit for non Retreat cabins when booking onboard in addition to the OBC.