Virgin voyages cruise booked. Goodbye celebrity

DarrenM

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

having down two transatlantics it’s not that bad. Generally you’d eat at the main six restaurants twice and the menus are extensive enough that you can have a different starter main and dessert each time or in the case of Test Kitchen need to ensure you get the other menu. Then The Galley food court has lunch and dinner specials each day even if the core menu doesn’t change. Plus you’ve got pizza specials. Breakfast is the main one that feels repetitive!

My wife and I did a repositioning last year and I would agree.  With the 15 night cruise we ate at each restaurant twice, plus a 3rd visit to two of them.  Aside from at Gunbae, we never ate the same thing twice.  I also didn't eat the same thing twice on the days when we ate lunch in The Galley.

We have a 12 night coming up later this year and a TA next year and we're looking forward to both.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2024 at 5:14 PM, jon81uk said:

having down two transatlantics it’s not that bad. Generally you’d eat at the main six restaurants twice and the menus are extensive enough that you can have a different starter main and dessert each time or in the case of Test Kitchen need to ensure you get the other menu. Then The Galley food court has lunch and dinner specials each day even if the core menu doesn’t change. Plus you’ve got pizza specials. Breakfast is the main one that feels repetitive!

and with breakfast, I love a repetitive breakfast. Eggs benedict's daily please.

Like you say though, with 6 restaurants and the test kitchen, if you go twice each, that surely cant be boring?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments. 

Looking forward to it.

There seems to be plenty of bars and that'll do me.

My wife and I like to have a few drinks very early, a few could be half a dozen, and eat around 6pm, then a few more drinks, then bed to sleep it off, then a run the following morning. We will probably do 8 5k runs on the ship in 11 days.

I wont get involved in any forced fun activities and wont be going to any late night parties.

But we will try and drink their cocktails dry. And eat as much food as possible.

As long as there are outdoor spaces to relax during the day, not even that bothered about excursions.

And their shows dont bother me either. I am not one for song and dance shows anyway, and hate west end type reviews.

So feed me, give me bars, sunshine, and a decent bed, and I will be happy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t be worried, but I’d temper my expectations. VV gets its share of hype, but there is quite a bit Celebrity gets right more so than Virgin in my personal experience, and overall it is a more even and professional experience.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 4:09 AM, DarrenM said:

Well I will be 59 come the time of the cruise, but I dont feel it, or act it, to be honest.

Having just come off celebrity constellation, which I enjoyed, but felt like it belonged to bygone age of ballroom dancing, and afternoon tea, even though the lounge used for the ballroom dancing, dull lounge music, was almost always empty. Seemed a huge waste of a large space, just to accommodate those that wanted to do ballroom dancing. Which most days was one couple.

And I found the ship overall quite boring.

Whereas the edge class ships where interesting, and had lots of areas to explore. Particularly eden.

I am hoping I find the Resilient Lady interesting to wander around for 11 days as the wife sunbathes.

We are a couple in our late 50s/early 60s. We have been on three VV cruises and have three more booked. We love the vibe on VV -- definitely everyone is welcome. We have never been made to feel old or out of place. There are all ages on the ship and everyone is inclusive and enjoying their vacations. Like you, we don't feel our ages. I think you'll have an amazing cruise!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 8:27 AM, Liao said:

I just did exactly the same last night.  Booked a 15 night TA on Scarlet Lady in May 2025, XL Sea Terrace.  I too am coming from Celebrity and I am 64yo.  I had a Royal Suite booked on Eclipse for March 2025, which includes all specialty dining and premium drinks package, even though I do not drink alcohol at all.  The cost for this was $13,500 v the VV XL Sea Terrace for $5,800 (I am sailing solo)!!  Cost wise it is a no brainer even with the differences in the two cabins/suites.  Since all dining is included on VV I dont think I will miss specialty dining.  Will I love, will I hate it (highly unlikely,) but there is only one way to find out!  VV here I come!

We are booked on the May transatlantic as well. It will be our first TA and we're really looking forward to all those sea days!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazycatlady11 said:

We are booked on the May transatlantic as well. It will be our first TA and we're really looking forward to all those sea days!

I’ve done just one TA on Celebrity Edge, 14 days and was hooked.  8 consecutive sea days on this one grabbed my attention.  Also going to Casablanca and ending in Barcelona sealed the deal.  Hope you have a great cruise!  Sea you on board.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 11:17 PM, CineGraphic said:

We left Princess in 2022 and have not looked back, with six Virgin sailings in the bag, and 4 more on the books.

How do they compare to Princess on price

19 minutes ago, antsp said:

If low prices is all one cares about, and not what you get for the money, you might as well stay home. In the long run, considering what's included with Virgin, and all of the add-ons Princess charges you for, Virgin is only slightly more.....sometimes even less than Princess if you catch a good deal and factor in the added benefits. The food is substantially better on Virgin and cooked to order, and the happiest crew at sea makes a huge difference.

Since we became converts early on, our Deep Blue Extras come in handy with $100 each OBC, free laundry, early boarding, private party, etc... Currently, they are only offering "Blue Extras" for new status matches.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2024 at 9:36 AM, Keys Kathy said:

There is no way I could spend 15 nights on VV. The food is the same every day. BORING! 

I've done 4 sailings of 14 or more days on VV and didn't get bored until the last one.  Yes, the basic food is the same every day, but at least on the longer cruises, they have nightly specials each evening in The Galley that are listed in the schedule.  The restaurants add "sometimes" specials that your servers will tell you about, especially if you ask.  They usually have an entree and sweet special, particularly toward the end.  At lunch, several of The Galley stations will have specials, usually soups, salads, tacos, burgers, desserts, some sort of casserole, and sometimes sandwiches, Unfortunately the only way to learn what these are is to walk past the outlets and look at the signs as the servers either don't know or don't remember half of them.

Getting bored was rather our own fault on the last cruise.  The Razzle Dazzle evening menu had changed and eliminated our 3 favorite dishes (sorry for those who like the new menu better).  There were nights that Gunbae had no interest, and we don't like the B menu in Test Kitchen.  So that's us being picky, but we didn't have a ton of dinner choices.  It was the first time we've gotten off VV without another sailing booked--combination of frustration with a cabin issue that had not been repaired despite multiple reportings, a "been there, done that" feeling, really disliking the "come way early, stand in line, and hope you get in" system rather than reservations, and the large price increase.

Will we cruise VV again?  Probably some day.  Will it be in 2024?  Not likely, but then who knows what life holds?

33 minutes ago, Eric&Pam said:

If low prices is all one cares about, and not what you get for the money, you might as well stay home. In the long run, considering what's included with Virgin, and all of the add-ons Princess charges you for, Virgin is only slightly more.....sometimes even less than Princess if you catch a good deal and factor in the added benefits. The food is substantially better on Virgin and cooked to order, and the happiest crew at sea makes a huge difference.

Since we became converts early on, our Deep Blue Extras come in handy with $100 each OBC, free laundry, early boarding, private party, etc... Currently, they are only offering "Blue Extras" for new status matches.

I wasn't asking in a critical way, I was just curious 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, antsp said:

I wasn't asking in a critical way, I was just curious 

I'm sorry if you took this the wrong way, I've never been known for biting my tongue, and was making a general statement for anyone who considers price the only factor, and not saying that it pertains to you.

I will add that Virgin is much more interested in making sure you are happy than Princess ever was. The crew and management on board are empowered to address any issue that comes up.

Edited by Eric&Pam
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:29 PM, Shep_Proudfoot said:

I wouldn’t be worried, but I’d temper my expectations. VV gets its share of hype, but there is quite a bit Celebrity gets right more so than Virgin in my personal experience, and overall it is a more even and professional experience.

I agree with this 100%.  I like both lines and plan to sail both again in the future (hopefully both this year!) but for me - Celebrity has provided much more consistent and professional experiences and service.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, antsp said:

To give you an informative rather than snarky response:

They actually compare pretty favorably to many cruiselines, including Princess, *if* the inclusions would be something you would've paid for anyway. I am a big RCCL fan, and out of curiosity I priced out a couple of cheap western Caribbean cruises that were roughly same length/same destinations. Initially RCCL looked much cheaper until you realize VV includes

All port fees and taxes (I know, now all cruise lines include that in the advertised price)

Gratuities (those can add up quickly)

Internet for 3 devices

All specialty dining

Soft drinks (Pepsi/Diet Pepsi/etc.)

Premium Ice Cream 

Equivalent of RCCL would've been buying the "unlimited premium dining package", the "soda package", the internet package (for 3 devices), and of course adding gratuities 

After adding all of that in - prices were roughly the same. I know on Princess you can add one of their upgrade packages that gives you some of the same. 

I've done one sailing on Princess that was very cheap - $600 for 10 nights + fees&taxes + gratuities+ internet = added up quite a bit. 

If you don't normally buy internet or specialy dining, then VV is more expensive. If you do, than they are probably the same. VV has been having some good sales these summer - saw some offers via TravelZoo (yes, it's still a thing) and on points through Virgin Red (which is why we booked three more cruises with VV). 

I have another sailing booked with Princess to Alaska, and my total (for 2 people in a balcony) for a "cheap" end of the season cruise is close to $3,000 (that's if I include port fees&taxes and gratuities). By comparison, you can book a Med cruise out of Athens this summer in a Balcony for 2 people for around the same. My Princess price doesn't include internet or specialy dining or soda package (or any upgrades). So VV actually has a better price. 

Honestly, you should take a couple of similar itenerary cruises on Princess and VV and consider that VV includes all of the items I listed above. Price the same inclusions in Princess, and it will give you a clue as to what the price difference is (probably won't be much, or might very well be in favor of VV).

I am curious to see what VV Alaska pricing is going to look like. I live in Seattle and sale to Alaska a lot, so it will be pretty telling to me.

I am NOT a VV fanboy, but if you do buy all of the extras, their pricing is good. We *don't* normally buy internet for 3 devices (1 device we share is sufficient for us), and we *don't* normally buy speciality dining (if MDR on a ship isn't good enough for us, we simply sail with a different line, but honestly, even on Carvnival, MDR has been great for us). That makes *regular* (non-sale, non-points) VV pricing a bit too high for us, but only because of that. Like I said, I normally book VV when they have a "rewards" sale when you can pay with VV points. In that case VV are between "great" to "incredible"

Edited by TripsYouMustDo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TripsYouMustDo said:

They actually compare pretty favorably to many cruiselines, including Princess, *if* the inclusions would be something you would've paid for anyway. I am a big RCCL fan, and out of curiosity I priced out a couple of cheap western Caribbean cruises that were roughly same length/same destinations. Initially RCCL looked much cheaper until you realize VV includes

All port fees and taxes (I know, now all cruise lines include that in the advertised price)

Gratuities (those can add up quickly)

Internet for 3 devices

All specialty dining

Soft drinks (Pepsi/Diet Pepsi/etc.)

Premium Ice Cream 

Equivalent of RCCL would've been buying the "unlimited premium dining package", the "soda package", the internet package (for 3 devices), and of course adding gratuities 

After adding all of that in - prices were roughly the same. I know on Princess you can add one of their upgrade packages that gives you some of the same. 

I've done one sailing on Princess that was very cheap - $600 for 10 nights + fees&taxes + gratuities+ internet = added up quite a bit. 

If you don't normally buy internet or specialy dining, then VV is more expensive. If you do, than they are probably the same. VV has been having some good sales these summer - saw some offers via TravelZoo (yes, it's still a thing) and on points through Virgin Red (which is why we booked three more cruises with VV). 

I have another sailing booked with Princess to Alaska, and my total (for 2 people in a balcony) for a "cheap" end of the season cruise is close to $3,000 (that's if I include port fees&taxes and gratuities). By comparison, you can book a Med cruise out of Athens this summer in a Balcony for 2 people for around the same. My Princess price doesn't include internet or specialy dining or soda package (or any upgrades). So VV actually has a better price. 

Honestly, you should take a couple of similar itenerary cruises on Princess and VV and consider that VV includes all of the items I listed above. Price the same inclusions in Princess, and it will give you a clue as to what the price difference is (probably won't be much, or might very well be in favor of VV).

I am curious to see what VV Alaska pricing is going to look like. I live in Seattle and sale to Alaska a lot, so it will be pretty telling to me.

I am NOT a VV fanboy, but if you do buy all of the extras, their pricing is good. We *don't* normally buy internet for 3 devices (1 device we share is sufficient for us), and we *don't* normally buy speciality dining (if MDR on a ship isn't good enough for us, we simply sail with a different line, but honestly, even on Carvnival, MDR has been great for us). That makes *regular* (non-sale, non-points) VV pricing a bit too high for us, but only because of that. Like I said, I normally book VV when they have a "rewards" sale when you can pay with VV points. In that case VV are between "great" to "incredible"

We are booking a 4 day for end of a August to give them a try, and thanks for the information 

Edited by antsp
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, TripsYouMustDo said:

I apologize, my intention was not to be snarky. A few loyalists on the Princess board have put me on the defense ever since I started to voice my dissatisfaction on our last few cruises with them.

I only wanted to point out that price shouldn't be the only factor to consider, and I obviously failed. I'm glad to see that @antsp is giving VV a try, although the shorter sailings like with most other lines tend to have more of a party atmosphere, and I hope that doesn't affect them in a negative way.

Edited by Eric&Pam
  • Like 1

I've definitely paid more for my Virgin cruises than Celebrity.  I would hesitate to say Virgin gives you the equivalent of Specialty Dining your entire cruise. I've had some serious misses with service and food on Virgin - along with some home runs.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

I've definitely paid more for my Virgin cruises than Celebrity.  I would hesitate to say Virgin gives you the equivalent of Specialty Dining your entire cruise. I've had some serious misses with service and food on Virgin - along with some home runs.   

I agree on the "service misses" part especially.

The price is difficult to compare as different dates and itineraries have different prices. I sailed on Celebrity Eclipse in a Balcony to Mexican Riviera 6-day for $350/each (of course + fees & taxes + gratuities). So that's certainly way cheaper than regular VV prices. Then again, I sailed with VV last summer during the "points" promo for 56,000 American Express Membership Rewards points (transferred them with 30% bonus to VV, then used resulting 80,000 Virgin Red points to pay) for a 1-week Med cruise in a balcony from Athens - that's for both of us, including fees and taxes and gratuities. That was actually cheaper (think $560 equivalent for both of us including *everything, though some people value Amex points more than 1c per point). Both cruise lines have inflated prices during holidays and low prices and good sales off-season, so you can get good deals on both of them.

I never buy specialty dining on Celebrity or Princess so you are definitely more educated in this area - I am honestly curious why you feel that Celebrity is better. Is there more meal options, better food quality, etc? Honest question, nor arguing. 

Services misses - VV lost my $1000 dive computer over a year ago (in Bimini, Scarlett Lady). They picked it up from the dive shop where I forgot it. I have a screenshot of message thread that dive shop sent me confirming VV picked up my dive computer. They knew I was the one that left it before I got off of the ship. They never returned it. Now we are going through "file lost item report" which gets closed with "not enough information", etc. I'm actually making a YouTube video telling the sad story, lol. I am still hoping to get that money back somehow (I think my dive computer is long gone). 

And we've had horrible service from Guest Services more often or not, and occasionally bad service in a couple of restaurants. Overall service was good, but really nothing to rave about as some rabid fans do.

Edited by TripsYouMustDo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TripsYouMustDo said:

I never buy specialty dining on Celebrity or Princess so you are definitely more educated in this area - I am honestly curious why you feel that Celebrity is better. Is there more meal options, better food quality, etc? Honest question, nor arguing. 

I'll get specialty on Celebrity when I have OBC to use. To me, the upcharge for specialty is paying for the feeling of exclusivity to an extent. It's not very crowded, the server can take time and be more attentive and more personal. I would also say the food is more consistent as well.  

I do think the food quality on Virgin is better than the typical MDR - but service has been much more consistent and professional in Celebrity MDR's.  So the over all experience is about the same to me. 

It's also tricky because its hard to get reservations at the Wake which has the best combo of food and atmosphere. I actually really like the food at Razzle Dazzle but that place has about as much charm as a food court in Ikea. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

I'll get specialty on Celebrity when I have OBC to use. To me, the upcharge for specialty is paying for the feeling of exclusivity to an extent. It's not very crowded, the server can take time and be more attentive and more personal. I would also say the food is more consistent as well.  

I do think the food quality on Virgin is better than the typical MDR - but service has been much more consistent and professional in Celebrity MDR's.  So the over all experience is about the same to me. 

It's also tricky because its hard to get reservations at the Wake which has the best combo of food and atmosphere. I actually really like the food at Razzle Dazzle but that place has about as much charm as a food court in Ikea. 

Thank you for your reply!

That makes sense, VV restaurants are very crowded as all spaces are undersized for a 3,000-person ship IMHO. Yes, there are many of them, but the more popular ones are always very crowded. So I can see atmosphere being more relaxed and service more attentive in specialty dining restaurants on Celebrity. 

I get all my VV dining reservation as soon as they open 45 days before the cruise day. Their (computer) servers slow down to a crawl because I'm guessing everyone is doing the same thing.  It took me an hour each time to book dinners for the two back-to-back cruises I'm going on out of Athens this year. So I didn't have a problem (other than very slow app/servers) getting initial reservations for the cruises (beyond the very first VV one, when I didn't know I needed to do this crazy thing). But changing them once on the ship can be very problematic. E.g. last cruise (7-day out of Athens on Resilient) I had two reservations for Extra Virgin, and I was a little early for one and a little late for the other, and they wouldn't accommodate me. Other restaurants were more flexible with minor changes.