Talking to other people that have not tried Virgin Voyages

We LOVED our Virgin Voyages and the adult environment the ship brings.  But I found an interesting quirk about talking with people that either are not cruisers or have never tried Virgin Voyages.  Some people are a bit put off by the thought of being on a ship that is LGBT inclusive/accepting or even the thought of a drag queen leading the festivities.  It was so interesting to me that people we thought were like minded about it, were very judgmental about it.

My bride and I are a sis normal couple so we do not experience the biases many people experience in life, but this micro sliver of living an alternate life was very disturbing. I certainly hope that as more people experience VV, that there a is a greater sense of inclusiveness and acceptance of how other people choose to live their lives.

When you travel and immerse yourself in the culture of another country or people, you learn much more about others and about yourself.  That is the power of travel.

I cannot wait to board our next VV experience.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't expect that.  And I very much come from the school of thinking you are referring to.  At least before I decided it wasn't worth my time to care about what other people do when it doesn't affect me, whether I would like the answer if I knew or not what it was that they were doing.

As I said "come from", no you cant help if someone is going to be upset\not go over a "may happen".

I did a virgin cruise last fall knowing that regardless of what I may or may not like, it was probably happening somewhere on the ship, I didn't seek out any activity that wasn't my "style", and none was "forced on me". I know the Diva was there...I never saw the Diva. I know there was 'adult humor" I just didn't go to those shows...for the most part (the occasional "joke" is one thing, a show based around it? no).  I had fun, everyone else seems to have fun, we all went home happy.  I have 2 more planned.

You cant force people to change, you also cant shame them into changing, they just get backed into a corner and fight back.  As far as I'm concerned "acceptance" means that I dont necessarily agree with you, and thats ok, but that works both ways, you cant be mad that I DON'T agree with you and expect me to change my view.

I did run into a passenger on Royal Carribean today who was afraid to take a Virgin cruise but the concern seemed to be more around "party atmosphere" than social issues,

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 5

VV didn't do themselves any favors early on with their ads making the ships look like one big party for 20 somethings cruising on Daddy's money.  I don't think the passengers they have coincided with those they thought they were going to have.

We have enjoyed each of our VV cruises, and each has been somewhat different....a big menu change (not for the better in our opinion), people we met, quality of the same activities depending on who was in charge, etc.   We don't find a party atmosphere, if by that you mean excessive alcohol.  Yeah, it happens on any line, but as there are no drink packages, there are no people trying to max out their daily limit.  Yeah, it does happen sometimes toward the end when people have a lot of bar tab left.

I would call myself older and fairly conservative.  Some of the Diva shows were hysterically funny (bingo, for instance) or really good (cabaret with Carlos)...well, anything with Carlos).  Some Divas have been obviously better than others.  Some of the shows have been a little crude for my taste, so I won't see them again.  As you said, if a little innuendo is a problem, this isn't the line fo you.  Most of the crew and Happenings Cast have been great....an occasional not so much.  Some of the comedians were good, one I walked out of (we were at the back and not obvious).  In general, there is nothing on VV that you won't see in an adult show on Disney other than the Diva stuff.  And no passenger behavior in public areas that you won't also see on Disney (I've been shocked at some of what I saw there!)

People are different.  I was telling my friend about VV when she asked...she's an elderly, Bible Belt Baptist.  Before I gave any details, I told her that she might not like some parts of it because....Her comment was along the lines of, "Do you think I never saw or experienced any of that?  I was a theater major and half my friends in the department were gay.  I just don't tell my friends at church about it."

So yeah, if knowing that there are all kinds of people on VV and some of them may be different from you is a problem, it may not be your cruise line.  On the other hand, if you can be decent toward someone over dinner and around the ship regardless of their appearance or life choices, you may find a new friend who is covered in tats or have a lovely dinner seated next to and chatting with a gay couple.  Yes, you need a bit of an open mind to cruise VV....but not much more open than other lines.

• Like 3

I am a 70 year young adult that came of age in the late 60s and early 70s, and to explain all my joint pains I blame them on misspent youth and motorcycles. I saw more during that time frame then I have ever seen on Virgin. I actually saw more "rude and obnoxious" behavior on my one and done cruise on Carnival.

Every single one of my clients that I figured would feel uncomfortable with Virgin have loved it. I have one more, who will be traveling with me in September, that this will be her first Virgin cruise. She has been a loyal Princess cruiser so I hope that she can find Virgin as another line to enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

My dad just turned 71. He’s in a pew every Wednesday and twice on Sundays. He’s sailed with VV twice… never cruised before. He’s ready to go again and cannot wait for Alaska. Here he is with Richard Branson on our last sailing. If people wanna hyper focus on one little aspect… they are just missing out.  

79f1527e-8762-4903-b12f-60323c0fb399.jpeg

• Like 2