Noise from elevator

nightime

1 hour ago, nikitty said:

I have that bulldog as well!  Has the dinging kept you awake? Have you had to unleash yet?  😂

Curious, do you find being in the front section causes more seasickness? I was worried about this so I tried to stay in the middle but the cabin I chose for next month's cruise is slightly forward.

Sorry about that.  I should have said "I will be" in 7016 (facing elevators directly) on Orion in January.  Will be interesting indeed...but looking forward to it.  🙂 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sorry about that.  I should have said "I will be" in 7016 (facing elevators directly) on Orion in January.  Will be interesting indeed...but looking forward to it.  🙂 

Ah that makes sense! Sorry I was confused and thought you were on your journey right now!   

2 hours ago, nikitty said:

From the map it looks like the port side is the far and away winner.  Curious though, because you sailed starting in the opposite direction from the way we are sailing, would that have any effect on what side is ideal for the scenery?

Don't believe the map.  That is crudely drawn and does not reflect the actual "road map" that the Captain takes.  Once the ship gets about 20-25 miles out and into the shipping lines you will not see much of anything except ocean.   So no - there really isn't a difference for port or starboard until you enter the port areas on this itinerary.  Again - it is a toss up.  Since you haven't done it yet, it is hard for you to believe it, but once you've traveled you'll look back on these threads and say ah yes!   Choose the room you want.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, nikitty said:

Can you elaborate? The winds and the sea are loud? What itinerary are you doing?

We're on the British Isles Explorer, which left London Tilbury on July 4th. We were supposed to leave from Greenwich, but the ship docked at Tilbury instead due to high wind.

We left yesterday (the 5th) for Dover, but were unable to dock there this morning due to the wind; my comment referred to the wind and sea noise. At one point this morning I would estimate that we had about 10 to 12-foot seas, but not being an ocean sailor, I may have overestimated. The ship has been very smooth, but you can definitely feel it when you walk; my wife, who is prone to seasickness, took dramamine and has been fine.

It was rough enough that they couldn't make port, so we're headed through the English Channel right now; tomorrow was a scheduled sea day, so now we have 2 consecutive sea days before we arrive in Dublin on the 8th.

I know that lots of people enjoy sea days; we're not fans.

Edited by longterm

3 hours ago, longterm said:

We're on the British Isles Explorer, which left London Tilbury on July 4th. We were supposed to leave from Greenwich, but the ship docked at Tilbury instead due to high wind.

We left yesterday (the 5th) for Dover, but were unable to dock there this morning due to the wind; my comment referred to the wind and sea noise. At one point this morning I would estimate that we had about 10 to 12-foot seas, but not being an ocean sailor, I may have overestimated. The ship has been very smooth, but you can definitely feel it when you walk; my wife, who is prone to seasickness, took dramamine and has been fine.

It was rough enough that they couldn't make port, so we're headed through the English Channel right now; tomorrow was a scheduled sea day, so now we have 2 consecutive sea days before we arrive in Dublin on the 8th.

I know that lots of people enjoy sea days; we're not fans.

Sorry to hear about the rough weather!  My mom was initially concerned about sailing on a small ship so it's reassuring to hear that the ship has been smooth.

Back to back sea days aren't my favorite either. I hope the rest of the cruise is smooth sailing for you and your wife!

• Like 1

Just wondering, what do you all mean when you say, "forward facing" stateroom? Seems to me that they all face to the sides except a few at the front and rear of the ship. I've never been on one of these ships before (first Viking cruise coming up in October), so I don't understand.

18 minutes ago, formernuke said:

They are talking about the direction the bed faces (forward or aft)

So how do you know which direction the bed will face (before you get there)? Is it always one way for port side and the other for starboard? or???

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Squillo said:

So how do you know which direction the bed will face (before you get there)? Is it always one way for port side and the other for starboard? or???

No. Usually two adjacent staterooms will share the plumbing of the bathrooms so the cabin wall the bed is against will alternate front-back then back-front. 

Someone has posted the list of cabin bed directions somewhere on this forum.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

2 hours ago, Squillo said:

I asked Viking if they could help me figure out which room was forward facing. I think it depends on the rep you get because the one who my travel agent spoke to assured him the room was forward facing, but he also told my travel agent that all rooms on one side of the ship face one way and the opposite side faces the other so that was a red flag as this is definitely NOT the case.

Generally I look at the shared wall at the very end of a row of cabins.  The room at the very end (aft) is is usually backwards (aft) and the room next to it is forward.  The line between the rooms will be the headboard shared on both sides of the wall.  This isn't always the case though.

At any rate, there is a thread I remember seeing that had an attachment which showed the room configurations which is super useful!  It took a little digging but I finally found a link to the information in this comment here.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, nikitty said:

Ah that makes sense! Sorry I was confused and thought you were on your journey right now!   

Yeah, I did not post that right for sure.  Sorry about the confusion!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, nikitty said:

I asked Viking if they could help me figure out which room was forward facing. I think it depends on the rep you get because the one who my travel agent spoke to assured him the room was forward facing, but he also told my travel agent that all rooms on one side of the ship face one way and the opposite side faces the other so that was a red flag as this is definitely NOT the case.

Generally I look at the shared wall at the very end of a row of cabins.  The room at the very end (aft) is is usually backwards (aft) and the room next to it is forward.  The line between the rooms will be the headboard shared on both sides of the wall.  This isn't always the case though.

At any rate, there is a thread I remember seeing that had an attachment which showed the room configurations which is super useful!  It took a little digging but I finally found a link to the information in this comment here.

Glad that you found it.  It was first shared on Cruise Critic back in January of 2022, at least that is when I first saw it - and I use it all the time!  I would never trust anything the Viking reps tell you regarding rooms (location, elevators, for and aft, etc etc).  They've been wrong so many times.  I often have to correct them. It always amazes me how many of them have never even been on a Viking Ocean ship.  There is a lack of training and available tools to them like all the diagrams and documents that we on cruise critic have created and publish.

For those who don't wish to use the link, here is the original PDF file.

Bed directions fore and aft-Viking Ships.pdf

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

I had the chance to take a quick snapshot of a slide showing the Fore and Aft locations for cabins on Decks 5 and 6, which I was looking at while conferring with a Cruise Consultant onboard.  

BedForeAftrooms-VikingSlide.thumb.JPG.ef8dab70e3a50b7313c84a5d5df044b6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I had the chance to take a quick snapshot of a slide showing the Fore and Aft locations for cabins on Decks 5 and 6, which I was looking at while conferring with a Cruise Consultant onboard.  

BedForeAftrooms-VikingSlide.thumb.JPG.ef8dab70e3a50b7313c84a5d5df044b6.JPG

Thanks! And thanks for including the attachment in your previous post.

This photo is really useful as it shows the entirety of both decks. That PDF is cut off on each floor so it's nice to see the cabins at the very front.

Believe it or not but one of the Viking reps emailed me a photo of the room configurations for the floor I am staying on and I'm pretty sure it was from Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

We are booked on Viking Homelands on the Vela April '26. In cabin 6017. The diagram says aft. Does that mean if I'm lying in bed that my head will travel before my feet? Ha. Trying to picture what facing forward actually means in a bed. If sitting in the chairs in the room, would I be travelling backwards? I think that might bother me more than in bed. 

Yep, your head would be towards the bow when sleeping. Personally, I can't feel the difference on ship. It isn't like you will feel the acceleration because when you are at sea going to sleep you will most likely be at a constant speed. When coming into port in the morning, you will actually be decelerating and/or turning.  I have sat backwards on trains and planes with no issues at all. Others can feel it and it bothers them. I am fine with that as it leaves some better cabins available for me. 🙂 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 2blueyam said:

Yep, your head would be towards the bow when sleeping. Personally, I can't feel the difference on ship. It isn't like you will feel the acceleration because when you are at sea going to sleep you will most likely be at a constant speed. When coming into port in the morning, you will actually be decelerating and/or turning.  I have sat backwards on trains and planes with no issues at all. Others can feel it and it bothers them. I am fine with that as it leaves some better cabins available for me. 🙂 

Im more concerned about the side of bed I’m sleeping on. One direction I’m next to the closet, the other I’m not. 

• Like 2