Only Guarantee Deluxe Balcony Cabins - Enchanted

We just returned from our 1st Princess sailing and enjoyed it very much! 

Why is it that every date I check for next June - August, or any date even beyond for that matter shows guarantee only for the deluxe balcony.  We sail almost exclusively with Celebrity & HAL and they don’t operate this way. Can always see the available cabins in each category. When onboard last week we spoke with a future cruise agent and she showed cabins that we couldn’t see. If not , said she could call . Very surprised to hear what I was telling her. We did an open passage and I would like to book during the sale ( ?) next week. However, I want to be able to select my cabin. This is crazy!! I work with a big box agency and they called and still nothing. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a real put off. Many thanks. 

Apparently, the Deluxe Balcony staterooms on the Royal class ship are Guarantee only for two passengers. I think they keep them open for 3 or 4 passenger bookings, and then allocate them to the bookings with 2 passengers as the sailing date gets closer.

We booked a 10-day sailing on Enchanted for last February in October last year. The only balconies available by then were a Deluxe Guarantee (we had wanted a regular balcony) so we went with it. Even though it was DF category we were assigned a stateroom with the larger balcony on Dolphin (D4) about a week before. 

So if you want a Deluxe, you have to be willing to accept a Guarantee. I've read where some people have found available Deluxe cabins by doing a mock booking for 3 people, then contacting a PVP to book... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Apparently, the Deluxe Balcony staterooms on the Royal class ship are Guarantee only for two passengers. I think they keep them open for 3 or 4 passenger bookings, and then allocate them to the bookings with 2 passengers as the sailing date gets closer.

We booked a 10-day sailing on Enchanted for last February in October last year. The only balconies available by then were a Deluxe Guarantee (we had wanted a regular balcony) so we went with it. Even though it was DF category we were assigned a stateroom with the larger balcony on Dolphin (D4) about a week before. 

So if you want a Deluxe, you have to be willing to accept a Guarantee. I've read where some people have found available Deluxe cabins by doing a mock booking for 3 people, then contacting a PVP to book... 

I personally wouldn't accept a Guarantee.  If you don't want to use a PVP, or you cannot find a PVP that can book them for you, you can also book one of the Deluxe, or Premium Deluxe, cabins by booking for three people and then having the third passenger dropped. This is easily done by booking online and then calling Princess to have the third passenger dropped.  You can do the full booking by calling Princess, but you may have to educate the agent about doing the booking with three people first and then dropping one. 

Edited by TAW1963

3 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

I personally wouldn't accept a Guarantee.  If you don't want to use a PVP, or you cannot find a PVP that can book them for you, you can also book one of the Deluxe, or Premium Deluxe, cabins by booking for three people and then having the third passenger dropped. This is easily done by booking online and then calling Princess to have the third passenger dropped.  You can do the full booking by calling Princess, but you may have to educate the agent about doing the booking with three people first and then dropping one. 

Thank you for the third person suggestion. I’ve tried that and naturally the price is higher. Even then, only 1 or 2 cabins in the very aft of the ship show available. Like you, we don’t want to accept a Guarantee. This is quite frustrating , given we book pretty far out.  As much as we enjoyed the Enchanted, this difficulty booking will present an issue for us. Fortunately I booked the Sun for next January several months ago. The service onboard Enchanted was very good, however the frustration with booking leaves a lot to be considered. 

thank you both for your input!

• Like 1

I have dealt with this issue.   In my case I was able to call Princess and the representative was able to book the two of us in a Deluxe Balcony.   I didn't have to do the "book for 3" trick.   My advice is to call Princess and see if you can't get them to book what you want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

I have dealt with this issue.   In my case I was able to call Princess and the representative was able to book the two of us in a Deluxe Balcony.   I didn't have to do the "book for 3" trick.   My advice is to call Princess and see if you can't get them to book what you want.

Thank you , I will try that. Hopefully they will then be able to release to my “ big box agency”.

36 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Thank you for the third person suggestion. I’ve tried that and naturally the price is higher. Even then, only 1 or 2 cabins in the very aft of the ship show available. Like you, we don’t want to accept a Guarantee. This is quite frustrating , given we book pretty far out.  As much as we enjoyed the Enchanted, this difficulty booking will present an issue for us. Fortunately I booked the Sun for next January several months ago. The service onboard Enchanted was very good, however the frustration with booking leaves a lot to be considered. 

thank you both for your input!

I share your frustration for I too like to book far out so that I can get the best choice for cabins.  I think it is crazy for Princess to do this, but they have done this since before I started booking with them over a year and a half ago.  

The price is higher initially for the third person, but after they are dropped the price would come back down accordingly.  You can try getting a Princess agent to book you without the third person option, but their ability to do so will depend on how experienced the agent is.    Perhaps the experience ones know the third person trick and do it without even mentioning it, who knows.  Lately the chances of getting an experienced agent are minimal.  The online agent can do the three person option, immediately cancel the third, and then update your booking without ever charging you for a deposit on the third person.  They just may need a little education from you when you talk to them.

55 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Like you, we don’t want to accept a Guarantee.

I have a guarantee mini-suite on a 10-day Island Princess Med cruise this summer.  I had no choice, even using my PVP.

I'm assuming the reason that most don't want a guarantee room is not knowing where it will be located, that it may be too far, too close, too loud, or whatever.

In addition to the relative location of the cabin, is there any other reason that a guarantee room brings worry or risk?

10 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

I share your frustration for I too like to book far out so that I can get the best choice for cabins.  I think it is crazy for Princess to do this, but they have done this since before I started booking with them over a year and a half ago.  

The price is higher initially for the third person, but after they are dropped the price would come back down accordingly.  You can try getting a Princess agent to book you without the third person option, but their ability to do so will depend on how experienced the agent is.    Perhaps the experience ones know the third person trick and do it without even mentioning it, who knows.  Lately the chances of getting an experienced agent are minimal.  The online agent can do the three person option, immediately cancel the third, and then update your booking without ever charging you for a deposit on the third person.  They just may need a little education from you when you talk to them.

Agreed- chances of getting an experienced agent are minimal!! I am waiting to hear about next week’s sale and then will give this all a shot. 

• Like 1

This issue is specific to the Deluxe Guarantee cabins on Royal class ships.

It is just ridiculous.  

One booking we have, it IS showing these available for two...

Other bookings we are looking at...  ONLY shows available for selection when you have entered 3  or more guests.

We are considering booking during the 3 Day Sale...  And, our TA has been agreeable to the 'booking for 3, cancel one later' work-around.  This is what we plan to do.   We have selected a very specific area/cabin for some important reasons...  and, if we can't get that, we might not choose to book.

Remember, if somebody did call Princess and were able to select a Deluxe Balcony, this is LUCK.  

And, if one is using a TA, like the agency with the 3 Day Sale, then you can't call Princess directly, as they will refer you back to your TA.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I have a guarantee mini-suite on a 10-day Island Princess Med cruise this summer.  I had no choice, even using my PVP.

I'm assuming the reason that most don't want a guarantee room is not knowing where it will be located, that it may be too far, too close, too loud, or whatever.

In addition to the relative location of the cabin, is there any other reason that a guarantee room brings worry or risk?

In my opinion, the greatest concern is the location . Could be forward rather than our preferred aft. Could be a deck we don’t want, etc… 

I think Princess is loosing business over this issue but as TAW1963 noted Princess has been doing this for quite some time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Agreed- chances of getting an experienced agent are minimal!! I am waiting to hear about next week’s sale and then will give this all a shot. 

You need to contact your TA  (a TA) with this agency NOW....

They have all the details, and it seems to be what has been posted here on CC.

They are lining up the bookings, so that they can submit them all ASAP when the Promotion goes online on June 6.   

You doo not want to wait till then, and then hope one finds the time to get back to you and put in your booking, and get the cabin you want.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Just now, bandp407 said:

In my opinion, the greatest concern is the location . Could be forward rather than our preferred aft. Could be a deck we don’t want, etc… 

I think Princess is loosing business over this issue but as TAW1963 noted Princess has been doing this for quite some time. 

Yes, they have....   Absolutely a problem...  some un-fathomable decision by some 'shirt' in a cubicle, that I have seen referred to as 'bean counters'  here on CC.

Just one of many substantial issues going on with Princess Corporate...  NOT GOOD.

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

This issue is specific to the Deluxe Guarantee cabins on Royal class ships.

It is just ridiculous.  

One booking we have, it IS showing these available for two...

Other bookings we are looking at...  ONLY shows available for selection when you have entered 3  or more guests.

We are considering booking during the 3 Day Sale...  And, our TA has been agreeable to the 'booking for 3, cancel one later' work-around.  This is what we plan to do.   We have selected a very specific area/cabin for some important reasons...  and, if we can't get that, we might not choose to book.

Remember, if somebody did call Princess and were able to select a Deluxe Balcony, this is LUCK.  

And, if one is using a TA, like the agency with the 3 Day Sale, then you can't call Princess directly, as they will refer you back to your TA.

What a mess & a time consuming process! 

• 4 weeks later...

If you do the 3-person workaround, who do you put in as the third person?  We have two Future Cruise Deposits we want to use so we weren't planning on posting a deposit for the third person, and then they only refund one of the FCDs?  We want an aft facing Premium Deluxe and I won't sail on a starboard or port cabin especially if it's under the Lido Deck.  I'm not going to risk $6K for the option of taking a chance until after final payment date.

I did look up the Premium Deluxe cabins using 3 people and they are showing which ones are available.

Posted (edited)

If the cruise offers the 3rd and 4th Free Promo, then that helps too.

If I am correct, they will only collect two deposits.

We had not used this method before, and found regular balconies that were good, larger balcony, etc.   But on our last booking, we really had reasons for wanting a specific cabin, Premium Deluxe Balcony, in a certain area.   

We have our adult son as the Third...   And will probably cancel him before final payment.

Any family or close friend that wouldn't mind you using their name....

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply.  I just decided to book a minisuite in a location I could pick.  I didn't want to chance a guarantee for that kind of time and money.

We also just booked a mini (thanks Dan and Evelyn).  I couldn't see any Deluxe or Premium Deluxe or Minis until I changed it to say I was booking for 3 people - then they all showed up.  I picked one I wanted and had my TA book it.  If I tried to book it online it wanted to add the $210 port fees for the third person!

On 6/23/2024 at 3:26 PM, Wishing on a star said:

If the cruise offers the 3rd and 4th Free Promo, then that helps too.

If I am correct, they will only collect two deposits.

We had not used this method before, and found regular balconies that were good, larger balcony, etc.   But on our last booking, we really had reasons for wanting a specific cabin, Premium Deluxe Balcony, in a certain area.   

We have our adult son as the Third...   And will probably cancel him before final payment.

Any family or close friend that wouldn't mind you using their name....

We booked for 3 and it charged 3 deposits.

On 5/31/2024 at 10:58 AM, JGmf said:

It will be my first time with Princess, not in a guaranteed cabin this time but we did in the past book a guaranteed balcony with HAL. We ended up in a balcony cabin directly across from the uitility closet. From the crack of dawn until about 8pm if we were in the cabin it was constant noise from room steward carts and dirty room service trays and dishes getting banged around. After that I would never book any kind of guaranteed cabin again, on any line because that was a miserable trip, cabin wise.

This issue with booking 2 people into a deluxe cabin must be unique to the US as here in the UK I have been able to book a deluxe cabin for 2 people on line without any issues.

1 hour ago, Boku said:

This issue with booking 2 people into a deluxe cabin must be unique to the US as here in the UK I have been able to book a deluxe cabin for 2 people on line without any issues.

I think it depends on cruise as I was able to book a premium deluxe cabin for two on a midnight Sun cruise and a Norwegian cruise a month ago. I am in US

Posted (edited)

Yes,  this does seem to be dependent on the sailing, and whatever 'system' they use to predict demand????

One one booking, we CAN book for the two of us.  But we had selected another specific cabin with a larger balcony, so kept that.

On the most recent, we booked for three, and we only paid two deposits.

But, there are so many booking codes and different offers...  Maybe this had something to do with the fact that this was during Third and Fourth Free promo?

Then again, the agency had to add the fare for the third person, because of something in THEIR system.   

I am glad we only paid the two reduced deposits.

But, that fare for the Third Passenger will still be on the total amount due until we cancel that third guests, before final payment.