Groups on cruises

I was on a Cunard Cruise several years ago.  The cruisers were primarily from the UK.  I would join the knitting group each afternoon to knit and discuss the various shore excursions, other Cunard cruises, etc.  I would estimate the ages of the knitters (and crocheters) to be from late 30’s to mid 60’s.  They were an extremely friendly group.  I was the only person from the USA and they gave me very may tips about places to visit in the UK.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Just never heard of one certainly not in Europe, in UK you are unlikely to see young people knitting and certainly not in a cruise.

I have been on many knitting cruises in Europe and Scandinavia.   Google knitting or craft cruises and you will find plenty taking place all over the world.  

there are maybe 50 people on a typical knitting cruise.  Not many on a ship with a couple thousand passengers.   

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200630-how-knitting-became-cool

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never been on HAL, primarily with Princess awaiting a February cruise.  Understand the group issue.  Our last cruise had 600 polka fans.  I would like to say you didn’t notice them but entire venues were closed.  We wrote Princess to suggest they at least put things in the daily planner so you don’t plan something and find out it’s closed.  Heck, the rear of the ship was cleared for them one evening.  They are in the business of making money, curtesy to all customers is what we asked.  

Now, for your knitting knowledge.  I love showing off my knitting and crocheting skills!  I spent 27 years carrying a gun, played college sports and international sports in 20 years of my military service.  As a child, I spent 2 years sick in bed.  My grandmother watched over me and taught me knitting and crocheting.  Never made a sweater but some killer mittens, hats and pot holders!  Kudos to old ladies who taught me!

• Like 3

On 6/1/2024 at 10:26 AM, Crashe said:

Never been on HAL, primarily with Princess awaiting a February cruise.  Understand the group issue.  Our last cruise had 600 polka fans.  I would like to say you didn’t notice them but entire venues were closed.  .......

@Crashe this is why the work that @VMax1700 does on trying to find all the charters and groups on HAL ships is so wonderful.  You can look at the groups and see if you think it will impact your trip or not.  And even possibly search up the group to get an idea of size.

It is possible that certain venues might get impacted.  Usually it is the small gathering rooms (vary based on ship but like the Hudson room or such).  With larger groups they might take the Theater during the day, or another venue.  Depends upon size and needs.  I was in a genealogy cruise group -- we had the meeting rooms one one sea day, the theater on another, and a private reception in an area off the Crow's Nest.  Impact on others was likely slight.

On 5/31/2024 at 11:32 AM, cruiser man 60 said:

What’s a knitting group ? I note we have one aboard when we sail, is this 00s of old Ladies knitting scarves😂

@cruiser man 60 When crafting groups do cruises the number can vary, as well as the impact on the ship services.  Normally they will have classes on sea days -- so expect the meeting rooms to be booked.  In these classes they will often focus on specific techniques or projects.  As far as ages and genders it can vary greatly -- although the money and ability to take cruises can skew a demographic older.  And often the crafter will travel with other family members who will not be in the craft group but will be on vacation.  And given that knitting and crochet are very portable crafts you might expect to see people sitting in various places working on projects.  Unless the sight of yarn strikes fear in your heart I do not think you will be in trouble.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1