How is January Rhine river cruise like? Too cold?

Dear Board,

Considering taking Vikings' 10 day Rhine river cruise next January:

Amsterdam - Nijmegen, Cologne, Mainz Rhine River - Heidelberg - Strasbourg - Breisach - Basel

Besides being first time river cruiser, how the journey is going to be in January? Is it going to be so cold that you can hardly stay outside, or it's tolerable with proper winter gears? Scenery wise, obviously, not going to be as pretty as in the summer, but I hope it's not depressing, lol.  What is the vibe of  the towns/villages where we will be stopping? I would assume it's going to be quiet, but hope it's not completely "quiet" with no one there.

Anyway, for these who have taken the Rhine river cruises in winter months, can you please share your experience?

Thank you so much in advance!

It will be a damp COLD!!!  We live in NH and our first river cruise was on the Rhine, the damp cold is worse than the same temp in NH!  Just bundle up with layers, gloves, scarves and hats.

Second seating

See, we prefer off season and cold seasons for River Cruises - or any cruise.  We hate the heat.  The Nile and Egypt was almost unbearable for us and would have been if the heat was humid heat.

We did Treasures of the Rhine last year December/January and it rained every day.  It was what I would say was "Cool" and damp.  Being Canadian from central Canada, the temps for us were not cold, but it was damp and damp cold is more penetrating to me.

We had temps in the 0C up to 12/14C most days with heavy cloud.  When it was not raining it was gloomy.

It is true that it would have been "prettier" if it was a less rainy period and some sun, but we enjoyed the cruise regardless.  We don't let weather get us down.  We go rain or shine and smile the whole time.

• Like 1

I travelled on AMA last February, and while the weather was cold, and often damp (though we did enjoy a few days of glorious sunshine!) the weather was offset by the fact that the museums and restaurants were visited by mostly locals, and therefore it was wonderful to visit without the crowds. 

We knew going in it was not going to be about the scenery - other than the castles and cathedrals.  

My advice is dress for the weather (layers!) and realize that some of the smaller towns do "roll up the carpets" after the holidays until mid spring - so do your research on what will be available and open so you are not disappointed.    

• Like 1

We did this cruise,  Basel to Amsterdam,  last year and loved it.  It was cold but not excessively.  I brought thermals and only wore them one day. It was nice not having a crowded river.

It can be fun and relaxing being among the few river cruise tourists coming to the Rhine. Remember that also European ships are hardly sailing. As a local I will say that I would find it too cold and boring but the excursions I have read about that others did in winter sound good and the castles are all there anyway. :classic_wink: Bad weather actually adds to the dramatic scene but you can get annoying fog. Also note that daylight is less than in March for example, a big difference. There will be very few Christmassy lights left as they are taken down normally on 6 January.

Past cruisers have already reported, I will just add the article of cruisecritic. The lady went on Viking in January: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles/a-viking-rhine-river-cruise-in-winter

My tip: see when Carnival is along the Rhine and if you can and like this merriment adjust your plans accordingly.

notamermaid

I haven't done one at that time of year, but I know I wouldn't be able to deal with the cold. I would think it would feel even colder on a river.  Not sure what your reason is for going in January, but if it's lower prices, I'd suggest looking at and comparing some other cruise lines in at least slightly warmer months, maybe March/April or Oct/November.

I did back to back Christmas and New Year's cruises last year thru Belgium and The Netherlands.  It was dark, cold, wet, and windy, and also wonderful.  Temps were mostly in the mid 30s/mid 40s, and I wasn't aware of anyone who didn't take the excursions because it was "so cold that you can hardly stay outside".  Rain and dampness was more of a factor than cold.  

Bring a winter jacket that also repels rain, along with gloves and a hat and scarf. 

14 hours ago, Roz said:

I did back to back Christmas and New Year's cruises last year thru Belgium and The Netherlands.  It was dark, cold, wet, and windy, and also wonderful. 

Where we live in Canada we have all four seasons, and we can have extremes in both summer and winter meaning down to -30C or lower in the winter and +35C or higher in the summer.

We however are "winter babies" and love the cool to cold.  I guess we are just used to dressing for this weather.

We would rather put on a sweater to protect against cold than take off something because it is too hot.

This weather for river cruising is enjoyable to us.

• Like 2

Not the Rhine, but we went to China in late December, and the trip included a four night cruise on the Yangtze River.  The trip was great!   But--it was cold! My wife is always cold, so she packed with a lot of forethought--including hand and feet warmers.  She had a excellent trip--she did everything.  It certainly beat too much heat, and there were thinner crowds.  (Having said that, in full disclosure, we did the Rhine in June and the Danube in May, so while we loved our China trip, we have not exactly made a habit out of unnecessary winter travel...).

• Like 1