Cash Tips: Which Currency?

I will be on a cruise in July, embarking in Iceland and visiting a couple of ports there. Next we cross over to Scotland for several ports. Then one port in England, and finally disembarking in Amsterdam. All my previous cruises have been in the Caribbean, and we have tipped at the end of the cruise in USD. Since this cruise is sailing in uncharted territory for me, I have no idea what currency is acceptable for tipping onboard. I would think that USD are not appropriate since the crew would have to exchange it because they are nowhere near the USA. Can someone advise me on this please? 

33 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Ship's currency is USD, but as CruiserBruce said, whatever you have will be accepted.

Correct. ANYWHERE  HAL sails, the ship's currency is the USD. Tipping in USD is never a problem. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Skorpora said:

I would think that USD are not appropriate since the crew would have to exchange it because they are nowhere near the USA. Can someone advise me on this please? 

It does not matter (at all) where the ship is sailing.... the crew is NOT exchanging in that location. USD, or whatever currency you are willing to give, is always gratefully accepted.

In Europe we tipped in USD which is the same as ship's currency. The crew can exchange USD onboard if they want local currency as well.

US dollars are always best.  That said, if the ship is remaining in Europe for several weeks at countries that take Euros after your cruise, then tipping in Euros is probably fine since the crew members will have ample opportunity to use them in ports.  But even then, many crew members will want to send money back to their home so again, US dollars are probably better.  Tipping in specific country currencies like Icelandic Kronas or British Pounds are just making things difficult for the crew member you are trying to thank.

I don't know who you will be tipping but if it is your room stewards, ask them.  On our South America/Antarctica cruise staff seemed to like local currency that they could use when going to local markets.  When using USD they have to exchange at the front desk for local currency and it is not the best exchange rate.  If you give them local currency it's easy.  Many may prefer to take USD home and put in a bank account.  Just our experience.  Cherie