Friendly reminder - do NOT post your NCL reservation information

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Seriously? I never heard of this awesome-sounding caller ID thing.

Thanks for the education.

What will they think of next? Maybe a phone you can carry in your pocket.

That would be even more awesome.

Scmoopie, Dick Tracy had all those kinds of phine gadgets years ago. And I am showing my age again.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 7:48 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

On 6/5/2024 at 7:33 PM, pcakes122 said:

I used to be annoyed by dual authentication which is on about 80% of the websites I need to visit. Not anymore.

Once people start to broadcast the information needed for dual authentication, triple authentication will be needed. 

The entire premise of 2FA is that the information can't be broadcast publicly and then effectively used to authenticate in this way.  This is because one of the two "factors" should involve something you either own or posses physically.  So as annoying as it would be, dual factor authentication would most likely solve this problem.  Human factors on the company side however can still be a weak link in this type of security implementation.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

As I said, a hacker can take control of a computer and use it remotely.

They can also use a program that randomizes the internet router that actually transfers the data with the target web site, while hiding the original source.

The hacker could really be anywhere in the world.  Many places in the world despise the US, so simply canceling anyone's vacation (and lets be clear, this could also have happened with airline tickets or hotel reservations if those reservations were placed on FB) gives them a quick thrill.

Sadly, this is true. But even sadder (IMO) is when this happens to unsuspecting, trusting people who aren't 'watching out for the bad guy' with every action they take and the general reaction is "Serves you right!  Your fault!  You're stupid!"  It's like a double-whammy. 

Perhaps that's why I tend to give folks a little grace. I've done plenty of 'stupid' things in my day.

And you're right. In today's world we need to proceed expecting and guarding against the worst at all times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Scmoopie, Dick Tracy had all those kinds of phine gadgets years ago. And I am showing my age again.

Maxwell Smart had a shoe phone.

Oops...there's that age thing again.

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

These age things you and I have been trading have been fun, but the age thing is sometimes the opposite of fun. Earlier this week, I received an e-mail that another one of my high school classmates had passed on. DW and I are just back from the funeral home where we paid our respects to his wife and the son that was our son's classmate starting in their kindergarten class and all the way through high school. While there we were told by another classmate who had been keeping track that about 100 (out of our class' about 200) had passed on. So, this aging is not always a fun time.

5 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Perhaps that's why I tend to give folks a little grace. I've done plenty of 'stupid' things in my day.

I absolutely agree with this, and the rest of your post, right up to the point where they (or others) start trying to shift the blame -- "XYZ cruise company should have protected these people!!".

That's when my grace is lost.

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

They tell me my car radio signals now come from outer space. I don't know...do aliens listen to Bruce Springsteen?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I absolutely agree with this, and the rest of your post, right up to the point where they (or others) start trying to shift the blame -- "XYZ cruise company should have protected these people!!".

That's when my grace is lost.

My (very firm 🙂) position is that any company that takes my $$ has a responsibility to protect me (and that money.)

• Like 1

Interesting. I just looked up my flight in August using a VPN. I was able to access, and go to the "Cancel Flight" page, with only my first and last name, and confirmation number. No need to login, no other identity confirmation.

It's not just Carnival, and it's scary as hell.