Requested dinner reservations

Lojay2

5 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

... I was on a Mediterranean cruise on Nautica last summer and there were a lot of 40-somethings and some 30-somethings.  I'm in my late 60's and was way north of the median age. Of course each cruise is different but you may be surprised. It depends on the itinerary but the Med attracts younger guests.....

Though on our 10/30-11/19, 2023 B2B cruise in the Med in Riviera, we saw few 30s-40s. There were some, but not really that many. What we did see boarding in Trieste was a huge influx of Asians (so many from China/Hong Kong). Of course, kids were in school at this time. Though the ship was full. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I think you meant me...GDR doesn't do special nights, but some of the menus appeal to us. The Terrace usually has a special night (actually two consecutive nights) with a local theme; for example, Alaskan night on Alaska cruises. They have also recently introduced an Indian night in addition to the local theme, but I have not gone to it yet.

We cruised in Southeast Asia earlier this year on Riviera and there were two days of Asian specialties being served at the Terrace.  It's a served buffet (other than the grill at The Terrace, which is different), so some of the food may not be as enticing as what you'd get in Red Ginger, if you're cruising on an Oceania ship that has RG.  But if you like Asian, it's a plus. 

To the reservation debate, I should add that not everyone has limited choices as to times/days/restaurants with Oceania's reservation system.  But if your room choice is in the lower third of the room booking categories (regular veranda, oceanview, inside), my opinion is that it IS definitely better to go online right at 12:01 if you want to eat reasonably early.  And if you want to choose non-sharing or a sea day at 7:00, this is definitely the way to go, as is getting a non-sharing table for a group. But Volterra, tell your spouse and group that you did the best you could, as a newbie, and that you'll continue to do that once you get on board.  I think all of you will really enjoy Oceania.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 5:34 PM, ORV said:

Well, that's the way you see it, unfortunately for you that's not the way it works. I personally have no problem with that concept. If I want more I'll spend more, but I'm ok with spending less and getting what I get. 

Reminds me of the old saying; "Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you have the easier it is to eat", or something like that. 

Glad to hear there's someone out there like me.  I'm fine in inside rooms, but occasionally "splurge" on an oceanview. For my next cruise, I'm happy that there's a full-length window in our oceanview.  And we have a GTY, so I can always hope for getting a veranda, though it looks like so far the ship is quite packed, so unlikely.  I'm a cheap date.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Volterra24 said:

Thank you all for the multitude of kind responses(mostly). Not much I can say except I goofed.

I still have not received a return call from our cruise concierge, it has been four days. So I went online and just started booking dinners as best I could. There are 6 of us traveling together in three rooms so toggling between those bookings was a learning curve. Meanwhile I did not know that my husband was getting all the reservation updates by email. He never mentioned it!

So I was busy creating a spreadsheet for each excursion by family member, port, hours, cost etc. Same for all the diner reservation by table size and time for each in our party.  More redundant hours. 

Dinner wise, I reserved tables of 4 and a table of 2.  Maybe they can be placed near each other.  Only on two of the reservations could I get them at the same reservation time. So my sons can go earlier or later as the case may be. (You will probably recognise them as they are handsome and likely the only guests on the boat under the age of 60!) All available dinner reservations appear to be on the back end of the cruise.(Is there something I don't know that you all front ended your reservations??)  As most of the reservations were late I have to assume we will miss the shows.  My husband has not thought of that yet but he will and I will be in the dog house again.   

-I also did not know that this forum existed on Cruise Critic. Definitely would have been helpful. I only saw reviews of the boat. Too much on my mind at the time with other responsibilities as well. Back to the Oceania website: I did not really understand the reservation system as this was our first time on this cruise line and I don't think you can even see it until it goes live. I feel they could offer some video tutorials (maybe there is one on Youtube?!). But clearly I should have jumped on at 12:01 am the day they opened it up.(My husband could have too). I was concurrently trying to digest the excursion options for the ports and spent hours, days, weeks, researching each port, top activities and independent excursions to get a handle on what was out there and how best to approach each port relative to cruise excursion or independent contractors, with my husband in the background saying we will just walk around, who needs tours. More redundant time. Anyway no need to keep commenting. I messed up. I will board early on the 24th and hopefully be able to swing the dinner reservations we would like and the changes to the excursions I have already selected and paid for. See you on board.....

At one point I wrote up something about how to make specialty reservations.  But I think the system has changed a little since then, so I probably won't do anything with it. As for the excursion reservations, they used to be easier.  But with the advent of Simply More excursion credit and discounts, combined with what I believe to be somewhat more limited options for guided tours given to more people cruising/traveling now, things are different.  I do feel that researching what to do in each port is worthwhile for me, but I know a few people who simply jump on a ship, look at some excursion info and book a couple ship-offered excursions, and walk around in the port for the rest.  I guess it's a good thing there are multiple cruise lines out there, and multiple ways of pleasing the people who want to cruise.  But even though I love researching and planning, I kind of feel sorry for anyone having to feel responsible for arranging what 5 other people might want to do.  Over and out.  I know you need to concentrate now on getting ready for this great adventure.....

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

... I'm fine in inside rooms, but occasionally "splurge" on an Oceanview. For my next cruise, I'm happy that there's a full-length window in our Oceanview.  And we have a GTY....

We all have wants & desires, what we like and can live with, and most of us have a budget. We're doing an F cabin then a "big" C1 on Sirena for our upcoming 22 nights in the Baltic starting 8/28.

A nice thing about O is the feeling that we're all together on one cruise, regardless of cabin level. We all eat in the same restaurants and use (mostly) the same public spaces.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

... I do feel that researching what to do in each port is worthwhile for me, but I know a few people who simply jump on a ship, look at some excursion info and book a couple ship-offered excursions, and walk around in the port for the rest....

Though everyone should try to learn where their ship will port in each stop. O often disembarks in some pretty industrial areas. The kind you just can't "jump off the ship and walk around a town", since the "town" might be quite some distance away as cranes load & unload ships and semi-tractor trailers are coming in and out.

And everyone should "research" important ports that they've never been to in order to see what is "right" for them. We were in Istanbul for our 1st time across 2 consecutive weekends. So four days and two nights. Riviera docked overnight both weekends. Wife and I planned out our own excursions using the very inexpensive Turkish public light rail and bus systems. Spoke to one man who paid a cabbie to take him out to the old Walls of Constantinople. He paid $100 for the round trip. We took the #38 bus out 4 miles and walked about 2.5 miles back seeing the ancient palace and so much more on a beautiful day. We paid 110 TL for both of us combined or about a $4 (was 28TL to $1) total. Used a Rick Steve's guide for our walking tours and their public transportation. 

• Like 2

@Volterra24 sorry to hear of your dilemma. If all else fails when you board ask if you can have a ‘nice’ table in the Grand Dining Room. Not sure if there are tables for 6 with a ‘view’ but at least you should get a table together.

Some people, who have never dined in the Grand Dining Room,  knock it but actually after lots and lots of nights in there we’ve never had a ‘bad’ meal. The service is usually good, and we’ve sailed on all the ships except Insignia.

Try not to sail with a negative attitude. Your anniversary is after all only ‘one day’!  We are celebrating 55 in October and I mailed guest services a month ago to try and get a reservation in Red Ginger on that day. Not sure that will happen but you know what we will celebrate wherever! 

Just go and enjoy!

• Like 3

@Volterra24

When you are on the CC Board site, scroll down to Roll Calls and plug in Vista and August and look for your August 24 cruise. I only saw about 24 postings so it is not very active but there are a number of people talking about Ports, tours and some potential excursion issues. For any cruise on any line, the Roll Calls are great sources of information, beyond the normal Board postings.

It sounds like you experienced some internal and external communication issues. Bummer your O Concierge Rep has not been more responsive. I am sure you will meet a number of great O cruisers, new and Veterans who are always willing to share Oceania information and experiences. Your booking was made directly with Oceania and sometimes booking thru an experienced and connected Travel Agent can make your life simpler. It sounds like you are the family travel planner so you will get kudos and 🤬. I am for our family as well but since no one wants to take over the job, I suggest they sit back and enjoy what I have created 😇👍 One more thought, about day 3 when everyone is sufficiently enamored with Vista and O, make sure to spend a little time with a O Club Ambassador and put a deposit down on another O cruise.  Discounts, Reduced Deposits and Ship Board Credit is a real benefit so don’t miss out on the opportunity. 

DW and I have an Allura trip next year and have invited our grown children so I understand when the constant addition of tours, dinners, hotels, activities, packages, etc. can get quite 💰 for DH’s. We always think we are in charge but after being blessed with a lot of Anniversaries, we know, Happy Wife, Happy Life. 😇 You are going to have a wonderful experience on Vista and the Oceania staff on board will provide something special, guaranteed friendly and when you reach out to them, they get even more friendly. If something is wrong on board, reach out to the Reception staff, Concierge, Room Steward, Maitre d or whoever, they want you happy and will do all they can to make your trip memorable. You do not know it yet but you are gaining an Oceania family, both staff and cruisers. Even some friends for life 🙏👍🛳️
Hopefully you and sons are arriving in France or Monaco day(s) ahead because that area from Nice to Monaco is spectacular. Stuff Happens so never fly in on Embarkation Day. 

Have a fabulous trip of a lifetime.

Mauibabes

• Like 3

On 8/7/2024 at 9:47 PM, Volterra24 said:

I messed up.

And your husband seems to delight in that considering how much he talks about it.

FWIW before he retired my husband traveld 30 to 85% of the time. Birthdays and anniversaries were celebrated when we could and were no less fun. One year my birthday was a "camping trip" in our yard, in a tent, queen airbed and down duvet and pillows. And flowers and Champagne. Etc. Until the middle of the night when the indoors dogs figured out where we were and barked til we came in. Now doesn't that sound like a fun celebration??? Best wishes.

• Like 2