Silver Cloud Live ... June 9-19 from the Kimberley!

jpalbny

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

OK @Port Power I've ordered my 1st pair of Keen's closed toe sandals for an upcoming trip to Cape Cod Massachusetts

45 minutes ago, IdRathrBCruzn said:

I caved in and put my Keen's in my carry-on. Sigh.

Just don't wear them with socks... But on the other hand (foot?) those tan lines look pretty funny!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

Just don't wear them with socks... But on the other hand (foot?) those tan lines look pretty funny!

My first pair of cycling gloves had crocheted backs. I looked like I had the measles with a polka-dotted tan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Agreed JP. Wearing with socks should carry a minimum penalty of a keel haul and a maximum penalty of a Carnival cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Would much appreciate if anyone on the Cloud Kimberley cruise right now could tell me how good the internet is…just the regular one. Thanks. 

What a fantastic trip report @jpalbny - just finished getting caught up. Thanks for taking us along with you! Do you have anything else booked with Silversea or are you waiting until post-retirement to make further plans?

6 hours ago, RyanJCanada said:

Do you have anything else booked with Silversea or are you waiting until post-retirement to make further plans?

Thanks Ryan - we have a WC segment planned for Jan/Feb of next year and then Silver Endeavor to Greenland and the Canadian Arctic for next July.

In between now and then we also have three Ponant cruises booked.

Part of the reason for early retirement is that we have more vacations booked than we have vacation time to use! So it will be a negotiation for either more vacation time, part time, or retirement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing many details of your recent Silver Cloud voyage.

We were on the Cloud in July 2023, Greenland. Overall the cruise was great and the expedition staff excellent.

The only negative was the service in the Main Dining room, very unattentive and very slow between dinner courses. Our waiter was kind of a "dud".

I saw in your posts that you mentioned service issues in the MDR - overall what is your assessment of the Cloud's F&B?

We are booked on the Cloud for January 2025, Antarctica - looking forward to another great cruise on the Cloud with an open mind!

57 minutes ago, chaunceyb said:

The only negative was the service in the Main Dining room, very unattentive and very slow between dinner courses. Our waiter was kind of a "dud".

We had one like that also. We avoided him after the second time, as it seemed to be a trend which we didn't want to continue to validate! Then things were much better.

• Like 2

Whichever SS ship we are on if we have a dud waiter we ask to be seated elsewhere. When we have been served by an excellent waiter we then ask to be seated in their area. vote with your feet and improve your own experience.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We had one like that also. We avoided him after the second time, as it seemed to be a trend which we didn't want to continue to validate! Then things were much better.

Thanks for your quick reply! So you just told the maitre d that you wanted a different section?

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Whichever SS ship we are on if we have a dud waiter we ask to be seated elsewhere. When we have been served by an excellent waiter we then ask to be seated in their area. vote with your feet and improve your own experience.

Smaller ships like the Cloud make it a littlr more challenging to be seated elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, chaunceyb said:

Smaller ships like the Cloud make it a littlr more challenging to be seated elsewhere.

We used to do it on the Explorer which was even smaller. When we left the restaurant after a bad experience we would talk to the Maitre'D and ask that in the future we would rather sit in a different section.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chaunceyb said:

I saw in your posts that you mentioned service issues in the MDR - overall what is your assessment of the Cloud's F&B?

I was on Cloud in March and the F&B service in the MDR was consistently poor.  Unfortunately it wasn't isolated to one or even two waiters.  Meals were very slow, food was tepid and wine service patchy and slow.  I spoke with the relevant staff onboard about the issues, I sent tepid food back to the kitchen etc, but there was no improvement during the cruise.  

I have another booking on Cloud for next year, and am hoping to read of improvements.

12 hours ago, drron29 said:

We used to do it on the Explorer which was even smaller. When we left the restaurant after a bad experience we would talk to the Maitre'D and ask that in the future we would rather sit in a different section.

We had a similar problem on Explorer....except it was a smelly passenger. 

By the end of the trip there was rarely anyone seated near him. The waiters nicknamed him the Oligarch. Oh the stories about that one.😂 

I miss the Explorer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We had a similar problem on Explorer....except it was a smelly passenger. 

By the end of the trip there was rarely anyone seated near him. The waiters nicknamed him the Oligarch. Oh the stories about that one.😂 

I miss the Explorer.

I'm just curious as to what he smelled of?

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I'm just curious as to what he smelled of?

I was going to guess penguin poo? It's tenacious! 

That's why my usual MO on expedition cruises is to shower before dinner, rather than in the morning. 

I haven't ever found F&B service to be consistently poor on a Silversea cruise. There are hiccups. On rare occasion there's a staff member we prefer to avoid.

I'm happy that someone else is cooking and cleaning for me so I'm not too bothered by the occasional service issue. Others can and do have different opinions and that's fine too.

If everyone loves Silversea (and Ponant), it will be harder for us to find sailings that we can afford! 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

Just now, jpalbny said:

I was going to guess penguin poo? It's tenacious! 

That's why my usual MO on expedition cruises is to shower before dinner, rather than in the morning. 

Penguin poo, good guess. Or Fulmar vomit.

That trip was in the South Pacific and Kimberlys which only made matters worse.  Heat and humidity are not my friend. For me in the Tropics sometimes it's a 3 shower day.😅

I also agree on the F&B.  Speaking from an expedition ship standpoint, I find the Silversea menu in general to be much more interesting than Seabourn. Although Seabourn is trying a little harder.  The duds can be avoided. 

Also agree on pricing lately, crikey!  Do they have gold toilets or something like that on SS Endeavor?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Also agree on pricing lately, crikey!  Do they have gold toilets or something like that on SS Endeavor?

I'll let you know, if I can still afford the cruise we have booked for next July!

7 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Can't wait to hear how long the queque is on this excursion. 

Screenshot_20240823_081144_Google.thumb.jpg.ba1f3b8cbd87792043f728f933556a56.jpg

Depends whether it's meant for ladies or gentlemen, I'd think?

• Haha 1