NCL Water Package Change

5 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

I wonder if the ships are doing trash/recycling separation or just compacting all trash.  People are REALLY bad about properly using recycling receptacles when offered. Cabins don't have a recycling bin or didn't 2 years ago. We still have large regions in the US that don't even offer household recycling so those people don't think of it at all.  I think most of these cans will be put in trash.

I've done a few ships tours on several lines, never NCL, and ALL trash is gone through by hand and seperated. They recyle everything. First NCL will be in Feb 2025! Hope they have a good tour!

6 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

I wonder if the ships are doing trash/recycling separation or just compacting all trash.  People are REALLY bad about properly using recycling receptacles when offered. Cabins don't have a recycling bin or didn't 2 years ago. We still have large regions in the US that don't even offer household recycling so those people don't think of it at all.  I think most of these cans will be put in trash.

I’ve done the behind the scenes tour on a couple of the NCL ships and they stopped at the recyclables sorting area. The crew are financially incentivised to sort recyclables from the trash collected around the ship. If their storage area hits capacity they then burn the cardboard as it’s the lowest value recyclable material on the ship. I try to keep recyclables in the bedroom area bin and non-recyclable in the bathroom area bin.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

All trash (from rooms, from public trash cans) is sorted and disposed of according to recycling rules. So all of that grossness that you put into your stateroom trash can is hand sorted by a crew member. 

image.png.726741961cddcf9442f2ad8412d965e5.png

Some things like caps and corks can not be recycled. Hazmat like batteries and medical waste are kept aside. 

image.png.131da3080c0e769c2fb3bf8354653b3b.png

Cans and plastics are compacted and sold to recyclers. Glass is sorted by color and crushed and sold.  

image.png.9def3e5bb0876cebc098b4ec51336113.png

image.png.a54c960bb4b59e9a8b9ab851fcc769d6.png

Cardboard that has come in contact with raw meats and foods can't be recycled and is incinerated. Non-contaminated cardboard is compacted

image.png.93c3ba5f48cee2aa4217540e36d8ff4d.png

Food (except large bones) is ground and discharged overboard to feed the fish

image.png.644c02198235b608d11a4756221166d8.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

From past bts tours, they do go through it.  Even told they hold for ports that pay the best.

Noooo... I hate these particular cans of water. They had them on Celebrity when I cruised with them. They were so hard to open, nearly cutting myself. I just started asking the bartenders to open them. They also had a hard time! 

59 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

Noooo... I hate these particular cans of water. They had them on Celebrity when I cruised with them. They were so hard to open, nearly cutting myself. I just started asking the bartenders to open them. They also had a hard time! 

I totally agree and they cause me to not hydrate as well as I should because of the difficulty of opening and the bad taste. I just don’t want to drink from them.  I might bring one of those rubber grip things to help with opening them.

5 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I totally agree and they cause me to not hydrate as well as I should because of the difficulty of opening and the bad taste. I just don’t want to drink from them.  I might bring one of those rubber grip things to help with opening them.

A thick rubber band also usually works and takes up less room.

Posted (edited)

So I pre-purchased a 24 pack of water for an upcoming cruise.  I think they were 1L containers I pre-purchased, if so, what will they do, give me 48 16oz cans?

Edited by KyleClark

I was on the Joy last month and my cabin steward left me one of the new water bottles.  I’m not sure why (Latitudes status is silver) but I also got one free water on my cruise in January too.  Maybe solo cabins get a free water?  I looked in the fridge in my cabin on the Joy (solo inside) and there was still Flow water in there with the tag indicating it was not free.

23 hours ago, KyleClark said:

So I pre-purchased a 24 pack of water for an upcoming cruise.  I think they were 1L containers I pre-purchased, if so, what will they do, give me 48 16oz cans?

How does the pricing now compare to what you paid for your package? You might have to call and get clarification. The current description in the NCL app shows this:

IMG_5674.jpeg

IMG_5673.jpeg

On 6/3/2024 at 8:39 PM, mking8288 said:

Platinum/Sapphire friends onboard the Joy last week and the week before sailing to/from Bermuda had these bottled water in the cabin, and 2 of them sailing under CAS, had 12 cans of water waiting ... All, all of them said they're a PITA to twist & open.  

On a positive spin, the wide mouth making it easier to reuse and refill at the buffet using a clean glass each time, after rinsing them out - continued to see lots of cruisers ignoring the proper way to refill.  Of course, it would help if NCL invest and install water bottle refilling stations, a common sight at airports and other places ... oh, wait nevermind, then no water sales to sail & sustain.  

Well they usually do have filler station in the gym.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2024 at 5:14 PM, dmwnc1959 said:

How does the pricing now compare to what you paid for your package? You might have to call and get clarification. The current description in the NCL app shows this:

IMG_5674.jpeg

IMG_5673.jpeg

If you look at the website, it now also says 48 1/2 liter containers.  So I guess the 24 liters that were purchased will become the 48.

Edited by roddy good boy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, roddy good boy said:

Can you imagine? That’ll be 2 cases of canned or bottled water you’ll have to store in your stateroom! 🤦🏻‍♀️

I'm sure it'll fit under the bed. Those empty suitcases under there will hold that just fine. 

• Haha 1

I’m not a fan of this type either and will really miss flow water. My uncle was an early investor in Flow and I’ve been a long supporter of them when I do drink bottled water(rarely). NCL not having water filling stations across the ship is one of my pet peeves. I might just start cruising with my 64 oz bottle and go fill it at the buffet once every day or two and keep it in my room.

• Like 1