How much buffer time between half-day (or less) shore excursions?

First time cruising this summer with HAL and I'm wondering how much of a buffer is recommended if booking multiple, consecutive shore excursions on the same day through HAL, especially at a tender port.

From what I can gather meeting points for excursions are usually on the ship at tender ports, but would you be able to join the tour on shore as well? And if so, how much of a "break" is necessary between the tours. Would 30-45 minutes between expected return and the next tour be enough?

Personally, I think that is cutting it too close. 

My experience with tender port excursions is that those leaving in the morning gather on the ship, and take the same tender to the port. However, those leaving in the afternoon tend to meet ashore, and it is the passenger's responsibility to get there in time. That would get you a little extra wiggle room on the buffer time. 

But I have found that excursions tend to come back a little later than the schedule usually says. At each stop there is usually one (or more) passengers who don't return to the bus on time, putting the excursion a little further behind with each and every stop. That will cut into your buffer time. 
Depending on port, sometimes one tour drops you off in one place (like the shopping area), but the next tour picks you up closer to the ship.

If I were you, I would book both excursions, BUT I would also check with the Shore Excursion Office on embarkation day to determine if the meeting place is ashore, how long the tender ride is, if the earlier excursion typically returns on time/late, and if they feel secure you can do both. 
If not, one or the other can be canceled that day without penalty. 

• Like 1

I agree with Ruth.  Book both, assuming the website lets you, but then ask the Shore Excursions desk when you get onto the ship if you have enough time to do both.  If they say yes, and you miss the second one, they will have to give you a refund.  If they say it is too tight, you can cancel whichever you like least.

I have done independent in the morning and an excursion in the afternoon. I have always noted the time of the afternoon departure and just shown up with time to buy it on the pier (or wherever you can find a Shorex person).  HAL is usually pretty good about the times posted but things happen

Thanks everyone! Specifically I'm on the Northern Isles Cruise to Scotland and Iceland leaving Rotterdam on Rotterdam on 31 August.

I have booked an 8:30am walking tour in Djupivogur, which is scheduled for 2h, and am currently on the waitlist for a tour also through HAL that leaves at 11am. Was wondering whether they might coordinate their tours so that if they don't overlap they might wait 5 minutes...

I'm also debating adding in an afternoon tour on the Isle of Lewis, but as recommended, will probably wait until I'm on the ship to book that.

Due to exchange rate losses I'm currently reluctant to prebook tours I might have to cancel, as the refund for cancellations always ends up being less than what I paid and I hate giving that extra to the banks...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, msjb22 said:

Thanks everyone! Specifically I'm on the Northern Isles Cruise to Scotland and Iceland leaving Rotterdam on Rotterdam on 31 August.

I have booked an 8:30am walking tour in Djupivogur, which is scheduled for 2h, and am currently on the waitlist for a tour also through HAL that leaves at 11am. Was wondering whether they might coordinate their tours so that if they don't overlap they might wait 5 minutes...

I'm also debating adding in an afternoon tour on the Isle of Lewis, but as recommended, will probably wait until I'm on the ship to book that.

Due to exchange rate losses I'm currently reluctant to prebook tours I might have to cancel, as the refund for cancellations always ends up being less than what I paid and I hate giving that extra to the banks...

I think you could do a solo Djupivogur walking tour on you own😉

Edited by Mary229

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think you could do a solo Djupivogur walking tour on you own😉

I could, but I want to get a rough idea of the area with a local guide, and would prefer to book through HAL in case the port gets cancelled. I figured the early walking tour would give me the option of either adding on another tour or exploring further on my own afterwards.