A few specific Qs, Q3/Q4 cabin on QE

Madmariner7

We are looking at a Penthouse QG Suite on the QE, for 3 passengers. A few questions:

1. Is there a curtain that pulls across the cabin at the foot of the bed? It appears so in one video I saw but it’s hard to tell for sure.

2. Is there space to squeeze by the sofa bed (opened) and get to the balcony door?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has info!

3 hours ago, Madmariner7 said:

We are looking at a Penthouse QG Suite on the QE, for 3 passengers. A few questions:

1. Is there a curtain that pulls across the cabin at the foot of the bed? It appears so in one video I saw but it’s hard to tell for sure.

2. Is there space to squeeze by the sofa bed (opened) and get to the balcony door?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has info!

Yes, the Penthouses do have a curtain but not having ever had the sofa bed in action, can't vouch for squeeze space. If there is any, it will be very, very narrow.

This is a Q4 on QE. We never had the sofa bed used. Space might be a premium once made up for 3 in the evening, and there is the table to hideaway somewhere!

For 2, these suites are very comfortable. It is up to to you to decide, but if 3rd person is a child, then probably ideal and you will manage.

IMG_2667.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Recent travel on QE in a Q4, unless you are very very very very very close friends or family, this will be a challenge. For two (a couple or friends) great but you still need to have the intimacy between you to do the cabin shuffle. For three, get ready to want to pitch someone overboard.

• Thanks 1

Q2 would give you more room and privacy as you can close the door to the bedroom third guest can have the sofa bed in the living area which is quite large. However would still need to share wardrobes etc and only one large bathroom and 1Loo. 

• Thanks 1

Q3/4’s on QE are the only Grills suites, including PG, not to have a side chair next to sofa. That’s a bummer for a suite that is classified right below the super-duper suites. The living area space seems cramped in general in this category. 
We recently got upgraded to a 4 and not sure it’s any better than a 5/6. I do like the bathroom area though. 

8 minutes ago, NE John said:

Q3/4’s on QE are the only Grills suites, including PG, not to have a side chair next to sofa. That’s a bummer for a suite that is classified right below the super-duper suites. The living area space seems cramped in general in this category. 
We recently got upgraded to a 4 and not sure it’s any better than a 5/6. I do like the bathroom area though. 

Apart from the corner 5s on deck 4, I would prefer the aft  5 and 6s for better utilisation of space. The bathrooms tho' are pretty similar if I remember correctly but as it's a decade or more since QE aft, I might be misremembering.

What I didn't like, were the bathrooms of the corner 5s on deck 4. No separate loo from the main bathroom and I seem to remember a shower curtain.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think the advantages of the Q3/4s are twofold.
1. Access to the Grills area is much easier as they are closer to the central lifts.

2. There is likely to be much less noise. Those at the back are exposed to noise from the wake, and also greater internal rattling from movement of the ship. This depends on individual sensitivity. I’ve spoken to those who never heard a thing from either source, and those who claimed to be unable to sleep because of one or other noise. Cabins at the side are very quiet.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Thanks 1

We always take the stern suites and have never heard a thing. You do hear the crew putting out the loungers from 6:30 am onwards when on Deck 8 on the Vistas.

On QA we've booked Q3's on Deck 8 for 3 trips, but on QA that's not directly below the sun deck. They're also the biggest.

If Cunard mounts the living room area TV to the wall that would eliminate that odd TV pedestal presently taking up valuable floor space. Then an armchair can be added in that freed-up space. @Madmariner7 from Cruise Deck Plan site, this picture shows a room dividing curtain along with that awkward TV pedestal:

image.thumb.png.9d655186be3a4c30d7faa24ce6c8c05d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the replies - very helpful! We’re now leaning towards a Q2. A bit more money (to say the least) but super spacious compared to Q3/Q4. Q1’s look space inefficient and one of our party doesn’t like the idea of being on the aft.

3 minutes ago, Madmariner7 said:

Thanks all for the replies - very helpful! We’re now leaning towards a Q2. A bit more money (to say the least) but super spacious compared to Q3/Q4. Q1’s look space inefficient and one of our party doesn’t like the idea of being on the aft.

I believe that as there are only two Q2s and they are much favoured, they often sell out on the first day. Not all cruises of course.

2 minutes ago, Madmariner7 said:

Didn't bother taking photos pf QE's sorry but I have quite a few photos of QV's Q2, which is the same as QE but with a slightly darker decor if you'd like to look at a specific area of a Q2.

11 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I believe that as there are only two Q2s and they are much favoured, they often sell out on the first day. Not all cruises of course.

We booked the Q2 today. Alaska in July ‘25!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Didn't bother taking photos pf QE's sorry but I have quite a few photos of QV's Q2, which is the same as QE but with a slightly darker decor if you'd like to look at a specific area of a Q2.

We booked the Q2 and watched a few YouTubes, so we’re good, thanks though!

14 hours ago, Madmariner7 said:

Great pick. We would love to book a Q2 but as expounder says they are so popular they often book first. Enjoy your time. 🙂

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Great pick. We would love to book a Q2 but as expounder says they are so popular they often book first. Enjoy your time. 🙂

Disregarding QM2 as I have no knowledge there, it entirely depends on the dates and itinerary as to whether the 2s and 1s book out early so it's not a given they go first.

As one who books these, we know which itineraries will sell out within the first day, or couple of days so book accordingly.

Edited by Victoria2
spellin, again!

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Disregarding QM2 as I have no knowledge there, it entirely depends on the dates and itinerary as to whether the 2s and 1s book out early so it's not a given they go first.

As one who books these, we know which itineraries will sell out within the first day, or couple of days so book accordingly.

It’s funny (or makes sense) - both Q2 were open when I booked ours. Within two hours, the other one was booked. I wonder if a TA was watching the capacity and had an interested customer, and jumped on the other one when it became the only one left? My working theory, anyway.