Viking cabins

Bo1331

Viking lists the vintner on their website under Sample Menus. Wines are fine a tad sweet for my tastes, definitely free flowing, we could never drink enough to justify the beverage package. You are allowed to buy wines in towns and drink on board. No corkage fees. You can also bring to dining room with your name on it to be served, so you’re not carrying down to dinner. Room size is adequate, don’t let numbers fool you. Veranda vs french is minuscule difference. Advantage is to sit outside while cabin mate is getting ready, BUT depending on season weather. If you’re doing excursions skip verandas you won’t have time to use it. Viking cruises are busy

Just an observation as I have never cruised with Viking but all this bringing your own wine to the restaurant and pouring, putting your name on the bottle, sorting it all out, isn’t this a bit OTT if everyone did it the staff would be stretched just a tad. I know they most probably are not but! As I said just an observation. I strongly suspect that a cash counter will soon put a stop to it!

I must say that after umpteen Viking cruises I've never actually seen anyone bringing their own bottle to dinner. People generally just take what's on offer. People with the package and who want to choose a different type seem to have to wait for ages for their special choice to be brought.

3 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I must say that after umpteen Viking cruises I've never actually seen anyone bringing their own bottle to dinner. 

Perhaps they haven't on cruises you've been on, but I think you'd either have to be on the same table or very observant to see someone bring in their own wine. I've done it several times, and on an excursion in Germany the guide pointed out a wine shop where you could taste and which had good prices. Several people, including me, bought wine then for on-board consumption. 

All you need to do is take the wine into the dining room; the waiter will then offer to open the bottle, then they'll pour. 

4 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

People with the package and who want to choose a different type seem to have to wait for ages for their special choice to be brought.

Not in my experience. Yes, one get's one's wine glass filled right at the start if one takes the included wine as waiters come to the table bearing them to pour. But when one asks for a wine from the list the waiter just has to go to the back of the dining room to  racks there to collect the wine. If one chooses a white they'll also bring an ice-bucket.

The biggest delay is dithering over making one's choice from the list. But I study the list in advance so I know what I'm going to ask for.

The delay in getting one's wine choice is the same or less than choosing in a land  restaurant 

4 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

People with the package and who want to choose a different type

It would be strange to pay for the package and not choose one's own wine. I say 'pay' because I've sat with people who have the package but didn't choose. One couple just drank water, the other chap had one  small glass of house beer which he didn't finish while his wife had one glass of included white. But none had paid for the package; it was included in thebooking

We've had the package in the past as it was included. I really couldn't be bothered faffing about and delaying things at our table. OH did once but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

We never buy the package as just not worth it to us. We enjoy a cocktail before dinner but happy to pay as we go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 11:34 PM, austinetc said:

We've only cruised rivers with Viking. I personally have a few issues with Viking and I've therefore done pretty extensive research with other lines. They all offer something I want and don't want. We stick with Viking for their repeat customer discount and because of "the devil you know". One thing I certainly don't have a problem with is their cabins and housekeepers.

We've stayed in a suite (retirement celebration), Balcony, French and Aquarium.

- The suite was over-the-top extravagant for us. Until we hit the lottery.

- We were fine with the Aquarium in Portugal because the ship only moves during the day (by law) and we parked ourselves on the sun deck all the time. The view was just too pretty to limit ourselves to one side. Otherwise, they require too much climbing to get anywhere. But if on a limited budget they are just the thing.

- The French cabin was economical, but also confining. It was just too small for us, even if we spent little time there. One person can do little more than stay out of the way while the other prepares for morning, dinner, or bed.

- The Balcony was fine. Worth the extra $$ for us.

I'm asking only because we're trying to plan our first river cruise, and I'm admittedly a little concerned about cabin size. So I want to be sure that I'm not misunderstanding (as opposed to nitpicking):

When you say "French cabin," are you referring to what Viking calls French balcony (135 sf)? And by "Balcony," do you mean a Veranda cabin (205 sf)?

TIA.

8 minutes ago, Amish-boy said:

I'm asking only because we're trying to plan our first river cruise, and I'm admittedly a little concerned about cabin size. So I want to be sure that I'm not misunderstanding (as opposed to nitpicking):

When you say "French cabin," are you referring to what Viking calls French balcony (135 sf)? And by "Balcony," do you mean a Veranda cabin (205 sf)?

TIA.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The options on a Viking River cruise are:

French Balcony

Veranda (Some refer to as Balcony)

Aquarium Class - Deck 1 - high window that does not open.

12 hours ago, Amish-boy said:

When talking about Viking cabins one first has to determine which boat. There are differently designed boat used outside Europe. Within Europe Viking generally uses the Longships which are identical in size and design. (On the Seine, Elbe & Douro they uses smaller boats to a similar design)

The 55 Longships have 5 types of cabins, in their parlance 'staterooms' on 3 decks.

Standard - on lowest deck. This has high (non-opening) window at water level. Known as Aquarium class on this board.

French Balcony - on middle deck. This has floor to ceiling window facing water and one half of it can be slid across. (Confusingly, there's no balcony to step out on)

Veranda -on middle and upperdeck. This has floor to ceiling window facing water and one half of it can be slid across and there is a balcony with two chairs and a table

Veranda Suite - on upper deck. This has bedroom with french balcony and a separate living room with balcony.

Explorer Suite - 2 on upper deck at stern. This has bedroom with french balcony and a separate larger living room with wraparound balcony.

Floor plans, room descriptions and layouts plus a 360 view can be seen on the Viking website.

I have cruised in all but Explorer.

Be aware one spends little time in one's cabin if one takes the included excursions. There's a different destination every day.

Thank you; I think that some of my confusion is due to my own lack of experience, i.e., having never been to France, I wasn't familiar with the term, "French balcony."

So, while much remains somewhat cloudy, I think you've allowed a little sunlight to break through!

18 minutes ago, Amish-boy said:

Thank you; I think that some of my confusion is due to my own lack of experience, i.e., having never been to France, I wasn't familiar with the term, "French balcony."

So, while much remains somewhat cloudy, I think you've allowed a little sunlight to break through!

Can I politely ask you not to use Comic Sans font. On an iphone it shows up as a completely unreadable cursive font, especially in pale blue. Thank you.