PEI without Green Gables

My husband & I had an amazing time this past September at the Island Falconry.  Peter is a very interesting fellow with great stories to tell as he introduces some of his birds to you in a classroom setting, where you can choose to have them perch on your arm.  Then he takes you outside to fly his Harris Hawk and you also can lure the bird in with a meat treat in your glove and have the hawk swoop in to land on your arm/hand and take the morsel.  Lots of opportunity to take photos and ask questions.  https://www.experiencepei.ca/tour/fun-with-falcons

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1507275-d17625546-Reviews-Island_Falconry_Sevices-Borden_Carleton_Prince_Edward_Island.html

2023-08-16001002.thumb.jpg.41eaef15cf8e08c4b70d45607064f673.jpg2023-08-16001005.thumb.jpg.420f1fe06d1e7fc58ce8c3b09b1a5d16.jpg2023-08-16001006.thumb.jpg.d5c67d709ae2b56b7f30af97570b5aee.jpg2023-08-16001003.thumb.jpg.501a224a09ba2b62b4bb11caef647329.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, canadjineh said:

My husband & I had an amazing time this past September at the Island Falconry.  Peter is a very interesting fellow with great stories to tell as he introduces some of his birds to you in a classroom setting, where you can choose to have them perch on your arm.  Then he takes you outside to fly his Harris Hawk and you also can lure the bird in with a meat treat in your glove and have the hawk swoop in to land on your arm/hand and take the morsel.  Lots of opportunity to take photos and ask questions.  https://www.experiencepei.ca/tour/fun-with-falcons

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1507275-d17625546-Reviews-Island_Falconry_Sevices-Borden_Carleton_Prince_Edward_Island.html

2023-08-16001002.thumb.jpg.41eaef15cf8e08c4b70d45607064f673.jpg2023-08-16001005.thumb.jpg.420f1fe06d1e7fc58ce8c3b09b1a5d16.jpg2023-08-16001006.thumb.jpg.d5c67d709ae2b56b7f30af97570b5aee.jpg2023-08-16001003.thumb.jpg.501a224a09ba2b62b4bb11caef647329.jpg

Ditto this.  Fun with Falcons was an excursion offered through HAL when we did it, although I believe it is possible to do independently.  It was one of the best excursions we’ve ever done!

• Like 1

That looks really cool!  I'll have to remember Island Falconry when we do a cruise that goes to PEI. 

I understand the OP completely.  I read the first Anne of Green Gables book as a child and didn't connect with her as a character so I also have no interest in anything Green Gable related on PEI. 

We will be on HAL and would like to go to the Island Falconry tour but don't want to do the ship's excursion to it. Is there any transportation that would take us from the ship to Island Falconry?

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO touring PEI without the Green Gables is like touring Tulum without the Mayan ruins, but to continue the analogy:   you could probably rent a car and drive around the island counterclockwise, similar to how you would Cozumel.  On the northeast corner of the island, you can walk the beach.  The west has French stuff.  Little rinky-dink shops, gardens, and art galleries all around.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2024 at 10:06 AM, maryann ns said:

You could rent a car and see some of the beautiful pastoral scenery, visit the north shore with its beaches and cliffs and then walk around Charlottetown.

this is what we are doing!

On 6/10/2024 at 7:32 AM, Mangrove Snapper said:

That looks really cool!  I'll have to remember Island Falconry when we do a cruise that goes to PEI. 

I understand the OP completely.  I read the first Anne of Green Gables book as a child and didn't connect with her as a character so I also have no interest in anything Green Gable related on PEI. 

Just my opinion... I also read Anne of Green Gables when I was young, and it didn't interest me at all. But I decided to give it another chance several years ago when I took my first Canada/NE cruise. It was free for my Amazon Kindle, so I didn't have anything to lose. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it again and had a more humorous understanding of her trials and tribulations through adult eyes. I've never read the series to end though. Luce Maud Montgomery also wrote an excellent book "The Blue Castle" which is on my favorites list but I don't remember where it was set, it was also free on Amazon Kindle. She was a very gifted author!  I'm going on almost the same cruise for the fifth time in August and it's my ritual to read most of AGG during my cruise. I took one AGG tour the on my first visit but have no desire to do another one.

If you're looking to do something budget and on your own, the town is lovely to just stroll around. The Governor's mansion is an easy walk from downtown and offers free tours through the end of August: Government House Tours | Tourism PEI. Somewhere along the way there is a Canadian military museum which was also free and very interesting to visit if you're into that sort of thing. I don't know what I'll do this August except to have a lobster roll at this place which I've done before on the recommendation of several locals, and it was delicious! Water Prince Corner Shop and Lobster Pound – Specializing in seafood for over 30 years (waterprincelobster.com). Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2024 at 3:39 PM, tarrenel said:

We will be on HAL and would like to go to the Island Falconry tour but don't want to do the ship's excursion to it. Is there any transportation that would take us from the ship to Island Falconry?

Whatever you do, please take time to review any HAL excursions. We r on Zuiderdam now and the 2 we have been on are dismal. The 2 we booked independently were brilliant and cheaper!

On 8/29/2024 at 12:28 PM, shiner6 said:

Whatever you do, please take time to review any HAL excursions. We r on Zuiderdam now and the 2 we have been on are dismal. The 2 we booked independently were brilliant and cheaper!

where did you go to find the independent tour operators?  On a site like Viator, or at the end of the pier...?

On 7/10/2024 at 9:38 AM, tetleytea said:

IMHO touring PEI without the Green Gables is like touring Tulum without the Mayan ruins, but to continue the analogy:   you could probably rent a car and drive around the island counterclockwise, similar to how you would Cozumel.  On the northeast corner of the island, you can walk the beach.  The west has French stuff.  Little rinky-dink shops, gardens, and art galleries all around.

Hubby & I did a drive trip to PEI back in 2017.  We were there for 3 days/2 nights and didn't do Green Gables.  To each their own I suppose.