Dress code at night + Shuttles

Aapreciate

35 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

The OP also asked about shuttles and I recall only one reply. Evidently there is greater clarity about what a shuttle is (but not necessarily if and when provided by Viking if one is not available by the port) than there is about application of the evening dress policy.

Seems the shuttle policy (Viking has one? or at least guests have expectations) is being unduly neglected. Can’t we have fun with this too? 🙃

It’s totally port dependent. Without a specific itinerary, it can’t be answered.

The Viking shuttle that surprised me the most was the one from Piraeus to Athens.  It's a fair distance.  I have visited many of the same  Mediterranean ports on both Viking and Azamara and the offerings were similar apart from Athens.  

The Viking advantage is using the included excursion on the outward journey at many ports then breaking away from the group, visiting the area at one's own pace without following the dreaded flag, then returning on the shuttle or local bus/train/taxi.

• Like 3

We were on a Viking River cruise leaving out of Amsterdam and docked behind the Movenpick hotel.  

There was a shuttle that went back and forth to just short of the train station which for us was less than a 5 minute walk.  The walk to the old town was three times that from where the shuttle dropped you off.

Shuttles with Viking is hit and miss.  Sometimes there are and sometimes there are not.

On 6/27/2024 at 2:01 PM, Breckski said:

I do not care what others wear to dinner whatsoever.  I do care if they're loud.  In our recent cruise a gentleman loudly told the waiter that he apologized for forgetting his hearing aids while in Chef's Table.  He then proceeded to talk to the neighboring table.  We, along with one other unrelated couple, asked to be moved into another room.  Would have simply left if no tables were available in the other room.

I also do not like the complete lack of regulation of the dress code.  I've thought about why it bothers me and can't really think of a sound reason.  All I can come up with is I'd like everyone be held to clear standard, assuming there are going to be standards. 

On this last trip, there were a couple instances of baseball caps combined with loud athletic polos and extremely worn & faded dockers in Manfredi's and the Chefs Table.  Humorous how that was acceptable but fashionable denim and a modern, cashmere hoodie would be in violation.

I'm with you on the wearing of baseball caps in restaurants; unfortunately that's a common sight in the South (perhaps in the North too?) in restaurants. 

I'm also in complete agreement about loud talkers in restaurants; it can really ruin a meal for the unfortunate victims at nearby tables. The acoustics in Viking restaurants is not bad, compared to modern cavernous American restaurants where there's no acoustic treatment and sound just bounces around like a Super Ball (remember those?).  

• Like 1