TRUTH IN PRICING LAW TO TAKE EFFECT

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

No.

However, when a company does business largely thru a website, it would really be an issue trying to have one set of prices for CA, and another for the rest of the country. 

For example, does it apply when you book a cruise that sails from CA? Does it apply if you are a resident of CA? How about if you live somewhere else and book thru a TA who is in CA? If the customer service person is somewhere else, but you are in CA?

It would get really complicated really quickly, so it would be easier to comply across the board.

The way the regulations typically work is that it applies if you are a resident of California. It doesn't matter where the business is located if they are marketing/selling to California residents. It's not that complicated to determine how or when it applies. It gets complicated if you want to do things like this state by state instead of universally/country-wide though. Business usually pick the strictest law and apply that nationally to keep it as simple and uniform as possible.(although not always possible where one state law conflicts with another state's law.)

Edited by jame_g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The UK has had the daily Hotel charge or gratuity included in the cruise fare for a number of years now and cannot be removed. Drink packages are usually included now with the Premium packages booked via a good travel agent.

16 hours ago, Bgwest said:

The numbers I’m finding show only 11.7% of the US population lives in CA. Not a very big tail, now is it?

Only? For 50 states, that is one state with 1 in every 9 residents of the U.S. in a single state. CA also contributes 14.7% of GDP to the U.S. economy. TX is the next closest at 9.2%.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 2:47 AM, Bgwest said:

The numbers I’m finding show only 11.7% of the US population lives in CA.

Only????  That seems like a small number to you?  sorry if I'm missing the sarcasm 

Edited by dbrown84
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, jame_g said:

The way the regulations typically work is that it applies if you are a resident of California. It doesn't matter where the business is located if they are marketing/selling to California residents. It's not that complicated to determine how or when it applies. It gets complicated if you want to do things like this state by state instead of universally/country-wide though. Business usually pick the strictest law and apply that nationally to keep it as simple and uniform as possible.(although not always possible where one state law conflicts with another state's law.)

I agree with you. That was kinda my point, but I guess I didn't say it as well as you did.

23 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Only????  That seems like a small number to you?  sorry if I'm missing the sarcasm 

Here, let me help you with the arithmetic. 
This means that 88.3% of the US population is NOT in CA. 
Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Hope this helps. 

"I rather argue against a hundred idiots, than have one agree with me." Winston Churchill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Hope this helps. 

LOL.  I don't think I'm the one that needs help here.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Hope this helps. 

That means 1 state has 11.7% of the population and 49 other states contain on average 1.8% of the population. 

If you prefer median, the median state has 1.3% of the population.

Hope this helps. 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Hope this helps. 

What @Bgwest is referring to is that this California law is just another example of "Tyranny of the Minority."

P.S. And being the gentleman he is, he prefers not to discuss politics or religion in polite CC company.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
ps
  • Like 2