A quick review of Koningsdam June 1 - 8

On 6/9/2024 at 10:14 AM, nw gardener said:

Good morning and continuing where I left off about the ship. I've noticed that AK cruises from Vancouver are heavily marketed to tour groups in Commonwealth nations. I've had the pleasure over the years meeting some lovely folks from Australia,  Great Britain,  etc. There were 2 large tour groups on board this trip but caused only minor disruptions to venues (Ocean Bar and Crow's nest partially roped off for private function a couple of times). In general average age overall about 50 on-board,  a  few families with kids, and one "service dog" that appeared to be more pet than service.  

We enjoy several things on the Pinnacle class ships...full music walk, Grand Dutch Cafe, CO dining,  and NY Deli available for breakfast. This is the largest size ship we  want to cruise on anymore however.  As I've read on this board from others, we are not a fan of the small promenade walk, the funky chopped up layout of deck 10, and layout of the Crow's Nest.  Especially since the Koningsdam does AK and the Crow's Nest is heavily used, would love additional seating there by moving out the Excursion desks or the art rooms. The Crow's Nest is promoted for use in  Glacier Bay when the park rangers are on-board but so difficult to use it due to standing room only.

Thank you for the review - heading out next week.  Question - which bar was biggest/least crowded.  Looking for a place to "meet up" with the rest of my krewe group on first day.  They'll be 19 of us from all over the US.

@map70065, weather is looking spectacular next week,  highly recommend the Seaview Bar for sail away under the Lions Gate Bridge.  Lots of space but there will probably be a crowd,  especially if HAL has the sail away party there. Or try the Crow's Nest at the opposite end of the ship. Ocean Bar is very nice,  but also popular especially before dinner. Lido Bar by the pool will probably be too crowded.  The Tamarind bar is a really quiet spot  but too small for your group,  but do visit it, my favorite bar . Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, nw gardener said:

@map70065, weather is looking spectacular next week,  highly recommend the Seaview Bar for sail away under the Lions Gate Bridge.  Lots of space but there will probably be a crowd,  especially if HAL has the sail away party there. Or try the Crow's Nest at the opposite end of the ship. Ocean Bar is very nice,  but also popular especially before dinner. Lido Bar by the pool will probably be too crowded.  The Tamarind bar is a really quiet spot  but too small for your group,  but do visit it, my favorite bar . Enjoy your cruise

Can you please tell me more about the “sail away party”? Our first cruise is next week & I haven’t heard about this but it sounds like fun! Do they have it on every ship? Any suggestions for the best spot on the Zaandam for the sail away? What happens during the party? Thx. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

Sail away party is usually the CD , some music (canned), and folks breaking in their HIA beverage package at the Seaview bar/pool area weather permitting.  We did not go this year, had an aft cabin so enjoyed sail away from there. I haven't been on the Zaandam but would hope something similar...it's fun being outside while sailing past Stanley Park and under the Lions Gate Bridge leaving Vancouver,  beautiful çity.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nw gardener said:

Sail away party is usually the CD , some music (canned), and folks breaking in their HIA beverage package at the Seaview bar/pool area weather permitting.  We did not go this year, had an aft cabin so enjoyed sail away from there. I haven't been on the Zaandam but would hope something similar...it's fun being outside while sailing past Stanley Park and under the Lions Gate Bridge leaving Vancouver,  beautiful çity.

Thank you!