Missed port cover

Sorry if this is in the incorrect forum!

I am booked on a 14 night Mediterranean cruise, with P&O later this year.

I assumed cruise travel insurance covered missed port cover, but just realised, this is an optional extra.

Is missed port cover worth it?

I noticed the extra cover also covers missed excursions, which we haven't booked any...

I am insured with Staysure. Cover is £104 for two of us.

And an optional £35 for the extra cover - I assume this is for both of us?

Just now, Poppy6879 said:

I assumed cruise travel insurance covered missed port cover, but just realised, this is an optional extra.

I noticed the extra cover also covers missed excursions, which we haven't booked any...

Each policy is different. You'll have to check yours. Personally cruise cover has always included missed ports.

9 minutes ago, Poppy6879 said:

It may be that we are just unlucky, but we have had a lot of missed ports with P&O, so we now make sure that we have missed port cover. On a recent cruise we had two missed ports and the £40 outlay for the cover resulted in £600 of missed port compensation (£150 per person, per missed port). 

• Like 1

Personally I consider missed port cover for most cruises as a bonus and not something that I would consider paying extra for.

However a lot will depend on the ports involved and the time of year. There is less chance of missing ports at the height of summer in the Med than there is on a Baltic cruise in spring/autumn.

There are some ports that are notorious for being missed (Ponta Delgada, Channel Isles, Iceland for example) and if I was visiting any of those then I would probably ensure that missed port cover was included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppy6879 said:

I would gamble and pay for missed ports as others have said it can be worth it. I had £150 back at Christmas so that covered the annual fee and paid for my onboard account for that cruise. 

We haven't bothered until recently. However, with nearly 50 days onboard, I reckoned that our chances of missing at least one port was quite high this year. The first, shorter, cruise passed uneventfully but we still have the longer one to go.

Having cruised around 250-300 nights, we’ve only ever missed 2 ports. Once due to weather conditions and once due to industrial action. I guess we’ve just been very lucky!

13 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Each policy is different. You'll have to check yours. Personally cruise cover has always included missed ports.

Our cruise insurance charge £40 for missed port cover as it is not included. We missed three ports last year due to covid so the payout each was well worth the extra. We always include it now especially with all the illnesses present on the cruises.

We have cruise cover that includes missed ports and missing the ship when it leaves port, personally that is more important to me - never had to use it, but always a background worry. 

We have missed entering 2 ports - Olden May 2022 and Haugesund May 2024, never claimed on the insurance but our excursion money was returned. 

To me travel insurance is really for medical care, people do not realise how expensive medical care is abroad when we have a free at point of use NHS! 

BW

Derek. 

One could argue that "missed port" coverage is not really insurance, but rather gambling.  In most cases, missing a port does not cost a cruiser money (unless they had booked a non-refundable private tour or bought some kind of non-refundable ticket) so it is more like playing the lottery.  Most would say that insurance is to cover a financial expense/loss.  Missed port coverage is akin to going to a resort and paying for "bad weather" coverage (sold by some resorts.

The reality for me, is that when we miss a port we actually save money :).  And since we are usually on ships with included booze (or others with a drink package) missing a port actually costs the cruise line :).

Hank

• Haha 1