Do any OV cabin windows open (Sapphire)?

wcook

Planning a trip with somebody who craves fresh air at night, but doesn’t want a balcony. Do any of the Ocean View cabins on the Sapphire have windows that open? 

23 minutes ago, AZaTaz said:

No

Can you imagine the flooding open windows would cause? Ocean view cabins are located on the lower decks... Even with normal seas, cabins could easily flood

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wcook said:

Planning a trip with somebody who craves fresh air at night, but doesn’t want a balcony. Do any of the Ocean View cabins on the Sapphire have windows that open? 

Just a note - it's requested that verandah doors not remain open while cruising.  it has to do with the ventilation system onboard.

It's logical that Oceanview room windows would also not remain open so Oceanview room windows do not open.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, toofewcruises said:

Can you imagine the flooding open windows would cause? Ocean view cabins are located on the lower decks... Even with normal seas, cabins could easily flood

That the image I got in my head when I read the question. 

• Haha 1

Note:   there are some OV rooms on the Sapphire that have a nicer layout, like a balcony room with a window where the balcony door would be.  Not the port-hole over the bed.

It can be hard to find them...  Could check the cruise deck plan web-site.

As mentioned...  for fresh air, step out on the balcony.   Doors being left open can cause problems with the air system in that section of the ship.    

• 3 weeks later...

We had a large large window in our Oceanview room on the Caribbean Princess.  Unobstructed views.  Obviously, windows do not open.  We made the very huge mistake, one that we regret terribly of booking an ocean view room (thinking Norway and Iceland would be cold cruises (yes they are!!) and thinking we would not need a balcony. Boy, was that a HUGE MISTAKE. No air circulation. Just nasty.  Never again in my life would I book an inside cabin or an ocean view cabin!!!  The price between Ocean view and Balcony was $1000 USD more per person.  I should have paid it.  Both got COVID. No air circulation.!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pink845 said:

We had a large large window in our Oceanview room on the Caribbean Princess.  Unobstructed views.  Obviously, windows do not open.  We made the very huge mistake, one that we regret terribly of booking an ocean view room (thinking Norway and Iceland would be cold cruises (yes they are!!) and thinking we would not need a balcony. Boy, was that a HUGE MISTAKE. No air circulation. Just nasty.  Never again in my life would I book an inside cabin or an ocean view cabin!!!  The price between Ocean view and Balcony was $1000 USD more per person.  I should have paid it.  Both got COVID. No air circulation.!!

I got COVID after 2 weeks in a balcony cabin...8 of our cruises since start up were INT or OV & didn't get COVID any of those.

Don't get me wrong, air circulation is important & does help minimize exposure but is no guarantee. 

And no judgement for those who would never sail INT or OV.

Fo us we find that we are rarely in our room--OV is our fav with sunshine but a better price point.

In 1976 our family did a TA on the QE2 and one of our two cabins was an exterior cabin that had a porthole that could be opened. But I think only by a crew member. We were on deck 4 and the waves definitely reached our porthole. Looked like a washing machine. On a particularly rough day they even closed the metal covering so that you couldn’t see out. It looked just like this:

image.jpeg.f4010a2cf5814d0328a76dc3066b6d22.jpeg

• Like 1