Wi-Fi Upgrade Questions

Posted (edited)

My husband and I are sailing on a 14-day on the Enchanted in April. We are only Gold, so do not get any discount on wifi. We both have the Plus package, so we each get one device. I have three questions.

1. If one of us upgrades to the 4-device plan, do we both have to upgrade?

2. What is the cost per person per day to upgrade from the 1-device plan with Princess Plus to the 4-device plan?

3. Is there a way to upgrade through the app or on the website?

Edited by JamieLogical

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

My husband and I are sailing on a 14-day on the Enchanted in April. We are only Gold, so do not get any discount on wifi. We both have the Plus package, so we each get one device. I have three questions.

1. If one of us upgrades to the 4-device plan, do we both have to upgrade?

2. What is the cost per person per day to upgrade from the 1-devise plan with Princess Plus to the 4-device plan?

3. Is there a way to upgrade through the app or on the website?

I can only answer item 3. Every time we've cruised since the restart and the app, I've seen the option to upgrade my single plan to 4-device in the app. Given that, I can't see why it wouldn't still be possible.

I did this before.

l.  Only one of you needs to upgrade.  And you can share the devices between you.

2.  If you already have the plus package, I believe it is $20 per day.

3.  You can upgrade on the app.

2 minutes ago, MoreyCreek said:

I did this before.

l.  Only one of you needs to upgrade.  And you can share the devices between you.

2.  If you already have the plus package, I believe it is $20 per day.

3.  You can upgrade on the app.

Wow, $20 seems high! Especially because you can upgrade from Plus to Premier for $20/day and get a ton of other stuff included!

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Wow, $20 seems high! Especially because you can upgrade from Plus to Premier for $20/day and get a ton of other stuff included!

Yes, I considered doing the upgrade, but since I'm platinum, I only had to pay $10.

Just so you know. I usually bring my iPhone and iPad on a cruise and simply switch my 1-device internet service to the device I’m using at the time. For example, when wondering around the ship, I switch it to my iPhone. Then when I’m back in the cabin I switch it to my iPad. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just so you know. I usually bring my iPhone and iPad on a cruise and simply switch my 1-device internet service to the device I’m using at the time. For example, when wondering around the ship, I switch it to my iPhone. Then when I’m back in the cabin I switch it to my iPad. 

Yeah, we have never really needed more than one device per person on our past cruises, but this cruise we are both trying to work from the ship. It will be a hassle having to switch between our phones and our laptops, especially with multi-factor authentication, but I think I will just put up with it to save $20/day!

19 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yes, but both of you would need to upgrade to Premier so $40/day giving you 8 devices for WiFi and all the extras that come with Premier. Only one of you would need to upgrade to 4 device WiFi for $20/day which would give you 5 devices total. You'll have to decide which makes the most sense.

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, we have never really needed more than one device per person on our past cruises, but this cruise we are both trying to work from the ship. It will be a hassle having to switch between our phones and our laptops, especially with multi-factor authentication, but I think I will just put up with it to save $20/day!

I just make the resulting link to login.com (or was it logon.com 🤔) a favorite on each device once we board the ship, then click on it when I want to switch to that device. For example, the resulting link from login.com when we were on the Grand last month was the following where “ap” was the 2-digit code for the Grand Princess. 

mnet.ap.ocean.com

5 minutes ago, CDNCruiser55 said:

Yes, but both of you would need to upgrade to Premier so $40/day giving you 8 devices for WiFi and all the extras that come with Premier. Only one of you would need to upgrade to 4 device WiFi for $20/day which would give you 5 devices total. You'll have to decide which makes the most sense.

I think what will make the most sense is to do neither and suck it up and deal with the hassles of switching between devices while working. This is where multi-factor authentication will be a real PITA (as if it weren't annoying enough already)!

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I think what will make the most sense is to do neither and suck it up and deal with the hassles of switching between devices while working. This is where multi-factor authentication will be a real PITA (as if it weren't annoying enough already)!

It's really not a hassle at all. Every time I have done this as soon as you log on with the non-active device it just asks you if you want to switch. You don't have to do anything on that other device at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

9 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It's really not a hassle at all. Every time I have done this as soon as you log on with the non-active device it just asks you if you want to switch. You don't have to do anything on that other device at all.

I suspect the hassle with multi-factor authentication may have nothing to do with logging on to the Princess Internet. OP and husband will need to logon to work network every time they switch devices instead of staying logged on and work network may require multi-factor authentication to log on each time.

Yes, but assuming a VPN is in play here, they would need to be doing that anyway since they are leaning towards switching out devices. Any time  a VPN connection is lost (for most any reason) you will have to re-authenticate.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Yes, but assuming a VPN is in play here, they would need to be doing that anyway since they are leaning towards switching out devices. Any time  a VPN connection is lost (for most any reason) you will have to re-authenticate.

The challenge is that any time I log into any system... VPN... email... all of the myriad web-based systems I need to access for work, I need to approve that login through an app on my phone, which will mean quickly switching to my phone to receive the "ping" and approve the login and then back to the device that I am attempting to log in from (my laptop). 

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The challenge is that any time I log into any system... VPN... email... all of the myriad web-based systems I need to access for work, I need to approve that login through an app on my phone, which will mean quickly switching to my phone to receive the "ping" and approve the login and then back to the device that I am attempting to log in from (my laptop). 

That's what I thought the problem was. You may need a two-device plan in order to work. The question is whether or not you and your husband both need to work at the same time. If not, one of you can use two devices while you're working and then trade with the other.

If you both need to work at the same time, then you probably need at least three devices. You would each need a logon for your computer to do work. Maybe you could switch back and forth on the phone when you're logging in. This would require one extra in addition to the two with Plus. You will have to decide the tradeoff between cost and convenience.

Posted (edited)

If your work laptops are Windows 10 or 11, you should be able to share the internet connection from one of the laptops to other devices.  I haven't tried this out yet on a cruise ship personally but I have heard from others that it worked for them. I have successfully used this in a hotel that limited devices to internet connections though.

On Windows, just search "Mobile Hotspot" and you can set it up and see if it works.

Edited by totz808

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Ah! Yes...I do not miss those days at all! You might be better off just doing the 4 device plan. Just call it "my vacation surcharge" & don't think about it! 😀