First time questions

So we were looking at cruises and having a hard time finding the right fit until I stumbled on Explora. Wow factor seems solid. We like the room look and smaller size ship.  A couple of questions. After dinner drinks are essential. Am I seeing 2 bars with lounge entertainment, anything else?

Do all rooms have balconies. Is there much difference in a OT1 to an OT 4.  

is there any issue getting a lounge at the pool. 

We were thinking 7 day med in 2025, we like the Ibiza itinerary .   Anyone have a favorite port

our experience is 2 princess which we did not care for and 8 Disney which we loved. 

13 hours ago, longboard55 said:

It offered more than a floating buffet

The Emporium on Explora is unlike any “buffet” you have seen before. It’s wrong to call it a buffet. It’s more a la carte on demand in a casual setting 

• Like 5

All basic Cat cabins, which would include OT1-4 plus GT are the same size and only vary by location and deck. 
GT has the extended balcony which is really nice, one word of advise there, only choose those which are not situated under (or next to) the whirlpools located on deck 13, as you might get wet, when the ship moves, as water tends to overflow. This issue might get corrected with Explora 2, but not sure. 

Loungers are plenty around the ship, however, if you prefer one by the aft pools, you might not always get one when you arrive. Plenty of loungers however on the upper decks around the ship. Chair hogs getting up early to occupy „their“ lounger are seldom, but do happen. I was very surprised by that, as one would think, in that price class being a luxury ship, this was unnecessary ( it is ! ) as well as impolite and selfish. Well, I guess manners do not come with money. 

Plenty of bars around the ship , available at almost any time, with and without some kind of entertainment. Do not expect much. The bars are wonderful, but you should not rely on any entertainment, rather enjoy your own company and getting to know your fellow passengers instead. 

A nightly show does happen, again it is low key, sometimes excellent and sometimes not so. 

But if you only do a 7 or 8 night cruise, this should not worry you at all. Plenty of ports which keep you busy and which make you tired. 

Give Explora a try, but do not expect Disney or anything alike. I am sure it is a great fit for a week in the Med.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mike@sea said:

Plenty of bars around the ship , available at almost any time, with and without some kind of entertainment. Do not expect much. The bars are wonderful, but you should not rely on any entertainment, rather enjoy your own company and getting to know your fellow passengers instead. 

A nightly show does happen, again it is low key, sometimes excellent and sometimes not so. 

But if you only do a 7 or 8 night cruise, this should not worry you at all. Plenty of ports which keep you busy and which make you tired. 

Give Explora a try, but do not expect Disney or anything alike. I am sure it is a great fit for a week in the Med.

I've not been on Disney, but have read a lot about the entertainment.  I'd say Disney and Explora will be on opposite ends of the spectrum as it pertains to entertainment.  I hope Explora's entertainment will have improved when we perhaps choose to sail them again (i.e., when the itineraries expand).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

You mean it’s NOT A Small World After All?!

Although did Disneyland with family in April and it remains FANTASTIC but that's a different message board lol 

Ok thanks now I see the OT numbers are based on deck level.  Not looking for a Broadway show just a little Neil Diamond, and of course we like to talk to people at bars.  So this drinks included sounds interesting,  are the house brands ok.  We like Titos and Makers Mark.  BTW I knew the Disney thing would get a reaction, not as bad as expected.  We want to sail with fun people, not people complaining about butler service.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, longboard55 said:

are the house brands ok.  We like Titos and Makers Mark.  

I am a vodka person and thought the offerings were limited.  The well vodka was Absolut - which is also the brand we were supplied for in-suite consumption.  On the shelf in the bars I saw Tito's and Grey Goose (both included).  These were the only vodkas I saw onboard.   As I commented in another thread, thankfully they had Grey Goose! 

• Like 1

Those brands work, thank you.  I have one more in general cruise question,  we recently had a cruise travel office open locally.  I have always booked direct, but read how the agents can get you more on board credits.  What do experienced cruisers do

12 minutes ago, longboard55 said:

Those brands work, thank you.  I have one more in general cruise question,  we recently had a cruise travel office open locally.  I have always booked direct, but read how the agents can get you more on board credits.  What do experienced cruisers do

One more thing my TA is located across the US from our abode and we had dinner and met only once over the  years. Great relationship 

4 hours ago, longboard55 said:

My advise is to use a good Travel Agent - they will have your back across any aspects of travel you care to book with them, not just the cruise

Some will offer rebates and benefits as well and that’s always nice to receive but first and foremost make sure your TA “fits” with your style - a good one will become a trusted adviser to you 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, longboard55 said:

I do all my own legwork and research but I do use a cruise travel agent to book the cruise as my agent provides 5% cash back. Many will provide it the form of a OBC. I only use the TA for the cruise portion and do all of my other travel arrangements on my own. I think the important part is finding an agent that is experienced with luxury cruises and land trips.

As a side note, I live in Irvine and have been on two Explora cruises and have another booked in October and I’d equate the ship to having a similar atmosphere as The Montage Hotel or Waldorf Astoria but without any of the pretentiousness. It does depend on how full the ship is and if there are a lot of travel agents on board, but the service is impeccable and the food outstanding. We’ve booked an OT1 every time and have no complaints with the location. I don’t think you’ll find a ton of entertainment other than the nightly shows (think Hollywood Movie tribute, Billy Joel Tribute, West End/ Broadway tribute) and after that they do have a “nightclub” With DJ and they do late night dancing and entertainment and it really depends on the demographic of the ship if this is busy with people. 

I don’t think you can go wrong with trying it out for a new experience and to see if you like it, but go in knowing the entertainment is not why I keep going back, but it’s enough for us to enjoy ourselves with what they offer. 

• Like 4

That is helpful.  We are not looking for Ice Shows or Rock Climbing, just somewhere to hang out   after dinner.  We were originally looking at Rhine River cruises, but they seemed to slow paced at night.  The comment of floating bus tours killed our river cruise.  Prices seem reasonable, we just have to see what dates work the best

Kjb416 I have sailed on Explora twice, once ot3 and once Ot2.  Both were chosen for best price, happy with either.  I have a booking for Sept in ot1.  It is a gty so don’t know where we will be…did you ever sail on deck 7 at stern? If so, any noise issue from engines?  Next available option this trip is ot3 for $400 more per person…seems like a lot to spend just to have a known cabin number. Thanks for you thoughts.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bongomeme said:

Kjb416 I have sailed on Explora twice, once ot3 and once Ot2.  Both were chosen for best price, happy with either.  I have a booking for Sept in ot1.  It is a gty so don’t know where we will be…did you ever sail on deck 7 at stern? If so, any noise issue from engines?  Next available option this trip is ot3 for $400 more per person…seems like a lot to spend just to have a known cabin number. Thanks for you thoughts.

We sailed in a PH on deck 7 aft with no noise issues whatsoever.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

32 minutes ago, Bongomeme said:

Thanks doc😉

Np!  I would try to book a cabin on the port side of the ship or more specifically, the side OPPOSITE from the Crema Cafe.

The cafe allows smoking on its outside seating.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Np!  I would try to book a cabin on the port side of the ship or more specifically, the side OPPOSITE from the Crema Cafe.

The cafe allows smoking on its outside seating.

Good advice.

I must say that Explora's designation of that deck area outside Crema for smoking is a head-scratcher.  We had a couple of ports where you had to file through the smoking area in order to access the gangway to get on and off the ship.