Royal Up bids NOT accepted...just curious

Just now, island lady said:

I have the answer here.  

image.jpeg.78f727bd74bcbdf53a60b5945b4de1b5.jpeg

It's the opposite of this. They are using massive amounts of data obtained about you to decide whether or not you will spend more, be more loyal, etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, marci22 said:

It's the opposite of this. They are using massive amounts of data obtained about you to decide whether or not you will spend more, be more loyal, etc etc. 

I assume everyone either gets an e-mail or can log in to the royal up site (if within 30 days) to participate.  The ability to participate has no relation to how much you may have bid in the past or how much you may spend on the ship.  I believe the determination of "winning" is based upon the "waterfall" of how other bids maximize the commission and additional profit to RCI.  Again, I doubt RCI freely shares its internal data on individual passenger spending with anyone else.  Knowing RCI's IT department we may be giving them too much credit to even track this themselves 😁

Now, I am sure they use the meta data they collect about everyone who bids to help them set a minimum bid amount for any particular upgrade.  For example, on one royal up the minimum bid for a balcony to a JS was $100.  On another cruise I went on, which had approximately the same pre-sail inventory for JS, the minimum bid was $600.  I am sure they have a rhyme or reason to how these minimum bids get determined based upon the data they have collected over the last few years.

If I like my current oom, I normally won't bid.  I will also check the sail date to see if there is available inventory for a higher category for a cabin.  If they are not in an objectionable area, then I will usually bid.  I know I may not get those particular cabins (depending on the "waterfall" effect but its a "risk" I take.  Anecdotally,   I will say everytime that I have "won" and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has been one that was previously shown as available.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I assume everyone either gets an e-mail or can log in to the royal up site (if within 30 days) to participate.

Some TAs don't participate so that anyone booked with them can't bid.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Anecdotally,   I will say everytime that I have "won" and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has been one that was previously shown as available.

To add balance: anecdotally, I will say each time I have won and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has not been one that was previously shown as available.  Mine seem to have been cancellations and/or vacancies generated during “waterfall” upgrades. YMMV.

Edited by Starry Eyes

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I assume everyone either gets an e-mail or can log in to the royal up site (if within 30 days) to participate.  The ability to participate has no relation to how much you may have bid in the past or how much you may spend on the ship.  I believe the determination of "winning" is based upon the "waterfall" of how other bids maximize the commission and additional profit to RCI.  Again, I doubt RCI freely shares its internal data on individual passenger spending with anyone else.  Knowing RCI's IT department we may be giving them too much credit to even track this themselves 😁

Now, I am sure they use the meta data they collect about everyone who bids to help them set a minimum bid amount for any particular upgrade.  For example, on one royal up the minimum bid for a balcony to a JS was $100.  On another cruise I went on, which had approximately the same pre-sail inventory for JS, the minimum bid was $600.  I am sure they have a rhyme or reason to how these minimum bids get determined based upon the data they have collected over the last few years.

If I like my current oom, I normally won't bid.  I will also check the sail date to see if there is available inventory for a higher category for a cabin.  If they are not in an objectionable area, then I will usually bid.  I know I may not get those particular cabins (depending on the "waterfall" effect but its a "risk" I take.  Anecdotally,   I will say everytime that I have "won" and been upgraded to a GS or higher, it has been one that was previously shown as available.

My next cruise is July 10th.  Still cannot submit bid.  Standard response being "within 30 days or correct information".  Yes, I know my last name and cruise reservation #.   Yes, it is under 30 days.  Stupid IT set up.  😑

2 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Again, I doubt RCI freely shares its internal data on individual passenger spending with anyone else.  Knowing RCI's IT department we may be giving them too much credit to even track this themselves 😁

"As the largest ancillary revenue travel platform, Plusgrade has a wealth of permissioned information for analysis." They explain this in the article.

"Wealth of permissioned information" = your data. Can come from anywhere. Maybe you're a gambler. Maybe you tend to upgrade your seat when you fly. Maybe you're a new cruiser who has only booked rooms vs suites. 

So much data that they can apply to determine not only how much money they can make right now but also how they can turn you into a higher-spending/loyal customer for their client, Royal Caribbean, or any travel/vacation provider.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 8:42 AM, robmtx said:

The highest bidder may not always win. Your bid is just part of the larger puzzle that needs to be considered when they are finalizing Upgrades.

Example:

Passenger #1 is in an Oceanview Category and bid on a JS for $400.

Passenger #2 is in a balcony and bid on a JS for $350.

Logic would say they would take the $400 offer. But they don't..

Passenger #3 is in an inside and bid $100 for an OV, and $250 for a Balcony.

By upgrading Pax #2 for $350, that frees up a balcony stateroom for Pax #3 at $250 = $600 revenue

If they had gone with Pax #1 offer of $400 and Pax #3 offer of $100 for the newly opened OV, the revenue drops to $500.

I know - very rough example but you get the idea. It's all about how the puzzle creates the MOST revenue for the entire sailing, not just a single cabin. So in this case, the higher bidder for a JS does lose out.

Well expressed.  This is the way I’ve figured it also.  Given this likely ways and means of the system, I take no issues when I don’t win.  I just figure that there was a better ‘income branch’, so to speak.

We are 1 for 3 on RU bids. We bid the minimum each time. On our Harmony B2B we were upgraded from a JS to a Crown Loft Suite for the first week and not our second week. Total bid was $200 for the upgrade. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 12:43 PM, Biker19 said:

Some TAs don't participate so that anyone booked with them can't bid.

So if I received an offer to bid an upgrade on the RC site that means it won't be blocked and I can bid...which I did. 🤞

On 6/14/2024 at 12:39 PM, marci22 said:

Not in our case, over 50% win. We don't even use all of our diamond+ drinks. On a 7 night cruise, dh will put no more than $100 all together in the slots and me about $40. Besides slots our total bill is $0.

I have bid two, maybe three times - and been successful once.  It was last September on our Explorer of the Seas sailing (so older ship, shoulder season Adriatic sailing).  We went from a well-positioned balcony to an aft JS for $275 a person which was $25 pp over the minimum bid.  As the cabin was on Deck 6 our immediate view was a large part of the super structure.  Obviously we still had water views, but at more of a distance.  The extra space was nice, but not necessary.  I wasn't overly bothered by the super structure, but it was a port intensive sailing.  I probably wouldn't bid again if it's just the two of us.

Question:  We booked a Junior Suite (through our TA) for an upcoming cruise with one complimentary specialty dinner and a $100 cabin credit.  If using Royal Up

we bid on higher category suites, and if by some miracle we win our bid, are we able to keep our cabin credit and comp dinner?

10 hours ago, FrannyK said:

If using Royal Up we bid on higher category suites, and if by some miracle we win our bid, are we able to keep our cabin credit and comp dinner?

Yes, that perk should stay with the booking though only the TA can confirm.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering if their algorithm is looking at the variation in the bids a user is doing? Example, I did bid the minimum at beginning, but as time approach the cruise more and more, still no winning, I increased my bid a little, a few times.... Maybe they are checking that.

Anyhow, I stopped playing with this now. The bids I made are now my final ones. I get somerhing or not, that's life. But I stopped increasing them, just for the sake of maybe winning it. There's no end to this, it's gambling. At some point we need to evaluate if the price paid is really worth it, especially if the cruise is port intensive so less time spent in the room.

Edited by ERLEC
  • Like 1

I am only repeating what  I have read for many years.

1. The Royal Up program provides data to RCI about how much more cruisers are willing to pay for an upgrade beyond their original cabin purchase. This type of voluntary information is invaluable for future pricing and we give it away for free (courtesy of many @Biker19's  postings).

2. Their are no assurances that any rooms are actually available for upgrade when offered. This is just a general canvass like a trawler spreading a bottom net not intending to catch any specific fish but to "see what is available" should they choose to keep what they find.

3. The final decision to keep the catch is RCI's alone. Once they make the choice of your upgrade, there is no buyer's remorse but to say that the buyer has remorse. Your room is what it is and RCI's upgrade is non-reversible. 

4. The invitation is not specifically tailored to any Crown and Anchor Society status.

5. The latest availability of cabins listed on RCI's website has nothing to do with the odds of you obtaining an upgrade.

I, like so many other experienced cruiser, would advise you to reserve the cabin of your choice that would satisfy your needs without a hopeful wish of getting an upgrade beyond your originally  selected cabin.

Do not gamble your hard earned vacation days and money "hoping" to get the cabin of your desire.

Just book it and enjoy.

• Like 1

2/3 of success rate

First time: Oasis 9/3/23 Labor Day sailing, GS to GS2. Upped our GS2 bids a few times to about the mid-point as we decided we wanted it more than we initially thought. Also could still see availability (~2 of them) so we felt we had a chance. Bid low on OS just to have a bid in, maybe a bid a third of the way on AS1. We bid the highest on AS2 but still didn't break the halfway mark given it was Star class. Won GS2 a few days before sailing. Someone else from the sailing won a GS2 a few weeks prior.

Second: Anthem sailing 2/25/24, Balcony. Can't remember the bids, but we didn't bid very high and didn't expect to get it given high occupancy dates. Didn't win.

Third: Enchantment of the Seas, sailing 10/12/24 over the holiday. Had a JS. Bid midpoint for GS2 (fair territory), a solid bid maybe 1/3 of the way and for **** & giggles, a tick over on Royal Suite and Owners Suite. Won the Owner's Suite on 8/31, even though it hadn't been showing much availability...we were shocked, but looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Whoops, I meant to write on #1 someone else got an AS2 a few weeks earlier (not GS2). Our most recent trip (#3) is also a JS Guarantee not JS if that matters.

Yeah, we feel pretty fortunate. My only thoughts are:

1. Popularity matters a lot. Traveling on high occupancy dates/holidays? Very low chances of an upgrade. 
2. Similarly, you have a much better chance when there are more rooms. It’ll be much easier to get a plentiful balcony than the only royal suite. 
3. Luck is a huge factor. Why was our low bid picked over the better bids for other rooms? No idea, I’m assuming due to the chain below us or other things such as lifeboat availability (we have 4 people). Not every room can have extra people if it’ll fill up the allocated lifeboats. 
4. Gaming bids risks getting no upgrades. We didn’t bid on OS in first scenario because we really wanted a separate sleeping space for the kids, didn’t feel like the difference between GS1 and OS mattered to us, and we didn’t want to risk hurting our chances of getting a room with 2 separate sleeping areas. (We were having issues with kids going to bed at nap/night then.) Which was a perfectly fine decision. But had we not bid on the OS this time (to avoid getting it instead of the GS2), I doubt we’d have an upgrade right now. 
5. Bid as much as you feel it’s worth. Don’t bid so high you’ll feel ripped off if you win, or so low you’ll be annoyed at yourself if you don’t get it because your budget really was higher. We never expected to get the OS but I’m glad we bid on it just in case. 
6. Book an initial room you’ll be satisfied with if you don’t win. 

Now to worry about hedonic adaptation, as Royal is hoping for!

On 6/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, robmtx said:

The highest bidder may not always win. Your bid is just part of the larger puzzle that needs to be considered when they are finalizing Upgrades.

Example:

Passenger #1 is in an Oceanview Category and bid on a JS for $400.

Passenger #2 is in a balcony and bid on a JS for $350.

Logic would say they would take the $400 offer. But they don't..

Passenger #3 is in an inside and bid $100 for an OV, and $250 for a Balcony.

By upgrading Pax #2 for $350, that frees up a balcony stateroom for Pax #3 at $250 = $600 revenue

If they had gone with Pax #1 offer of $400 and Pax #3 offer of $100 for the newly opened OV, the revenue drops to $500.

I know - very rough example but you get the idea. It's all about how the puzzle creates the MOST revenue for the entire sailing, not just a single cabin. So in this case, the higher bidder for a JS does lose out.

I think this is the winner.  I absolutely believe there's a bigger picture algorithm in place here - it's how I'D be doing it.

We're ⅓ in upgrade bids.  Significantly, the winner was to go from a GS to an OS. We got the confirmation about 30 days out. I'm 1000% certain they then turned around out GS for additional upgrades.  There seemed to be OS's available as sailing drew near so I was feeling pretty confident - and what we bid plus the price of the GS WAS less than booking the OS outright.

The two times we lost were OS to RS. It's safe to say we did the "Price is Right" bid with just the barest minimum - just in case nobody else did or maybe what they'd sell our OS for afterwards would make up the difference - and yet we didn't get the confirmation we lost out until less than 24hrs before sailing.  You'd THINK if we were that ridiculously low they'd have tagged us as unsuccessful well before 24hrs.  Was tempted to chat with the RS people to see what they might've done.  

1 hour ago, MichaelCMTX said:

we didn't get the confirmation we lost out until less than 24hrs before sailing.  You'd THINK if we were that ridiculously low they'd have tagged us as unsuccessful well before 24hrs.  Was tempted to chat with the RS people to see what they might've done.  

No, I would not expect they’d inform you (or others who bid the minimum or slightly above) earlier that the bid was unsuccessful.  They gain nothing by rejecting your bid early.  Theoretically enough people could cancel their reservations (imagine, for example,a major issue with airlines just before the cruise)that previously low probability bids  might win.