Waitlist Available only if Have-It-All Purchased

Posted (edited)

HAL is selling at least two Alaksa cruises at this time as Waitlist only (not Standby) for some categories, but only if you are willing to purchase the add-on Have-It-All. You cannot buy just the cruise alone in some categories.  Interesting pricing plan!

I personally not seen this before. Is this something new, something we can expect in the future?

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I hope that they have availability on ship's excursions to cover those who are forced to purchase the HIA.

Plus the speicalty dining! That is the one I would wonder about being able to access.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Did you call them?  How did you discover this?  I agree with @Vmax that people will be disappointed not being able to use the HIA

Phoned HAL,  planning to book two consecutive cruises but the second required wait listing it and buying Have-it-All, so we declined.

BTW: the website is wildly messed up today. Tried to find pricing for six different cruises, soon and far out. Ranging from Alaska to Hawaii, to Europe to Panama. Not one was listed as available to book which I find hard to believe.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

HAL is selling at least two Alaksa cruises at this time as Waitlist only (not Standby) for some categories, but only if you are willing to purchase the add-on Have-It-All. You cannot buy just the cruise alone in some categories.  Interesting pricing plan!

I personally not seen this before. Is this something new, something we can expect in the future?

How much is the deposit for this? Can you book HIA items now, or do you have to wait until you're confirmed?  And I hope it's refundable if you don't clear the waitlist.

Wow.  I realize that cruise ships have flags of convenience yet I never expected that HAL would engage in the unsavoury practice of tied selling.

Did you call to see if you can waitlist the advantage fare code? The website only shows you Have It All and the cheapest fare. The cheapest fare for Canadians is probably the Canada Super Saver, whereas the HIA fare is Advantage plus the Canadian equivalent of $55 USD per day.

This is interesting. We were recently waitlisted on a Princess sailing on standard fare. No requirement to buy the packages. 
I guess they’re seeing how bad you want it.

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Did you call to see if you can waitlist the advantage fare code? The website only shows you Have It All and the cheapest fare. The cheapest fare for Canadians is probably the Canada Super Saver, whereas the HIA fare is Advantage plus the Canadian equivalent of $55 USD per day.

Least expensive is under our Mariner number. Canada and Advantage are higher

You likely know that pricing is changing daily if not more often! Very frustrating not to have a more useable HAL website to do research with. Will have to start using the Hold feature instead of just phoning the reservation line!, merely to find out if what we want to book is actually available. Thanks for your ideas! 🙂

• Like 1

It sounds like HAL, in common with many travel providers, is getting more sophisticated in how it prices, not necessarily to our benefit. That's life in 2024, I guess. 

19 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Wow.  I realize that cruise ships have flags of convenience yet I never expected that HAL would engage in the unsavoury practice of tied selling.

HAL could become an all-inclusive line if it wanted to and stop selling cruise only fares.

On 6/14/2024 at 3:21 AM, sunviking90 said:

This is interesting. We were recently waitlisted on a Princess sailing on standard fare. No requirement to buy the packages. 
I guess they’re seeing how bad you want it.

NCL DOES IT: if you don’t want the package it’s better to book before final payment. This is just a personal observation.  I don’t drink so this is a no-go for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Waitlisted tours have been weird lately too.  We have HIA for the Amazon Explorer next Feb, several tours were waitlist only.  Within 24 hrs I got emails stating our waitlisted tours were available.  This happened on 4-5 different tours & at different days/times.  Since we are 8 months out, I didn't think shore x would be available yet.  

As far as buying HIA w/ a waitlisted cruise- I doubt we would go for that, since we are very light drinkers & don't really need the pkg.