Cozumel, but the budget edition?

Hi, hello!

I’m traveling with my husband and my in-laws at the end of August and trying to land the best thing for us to do. I was originally planning on Paradise Beach with the pay-as-you-go option. My husband and I did that together back in 2019 and LOVED it (taco truck, yay!), but I’m reading that they are really trying to push the All-Inclusive, but that’s not really what I’m looking for. None of us really drink or eat that much.

My questions are: how often does Paradise Beach actually sell-out for the non AI people? There are five ships in port that day, including ours, but all seem to be under 3,000 people and we’re the first one in.

Are there other beach plus pool options in Cozumel that are pay-as-you-go? Or just generally places that are more budget friendly than $50/$60+ per person.

Thanks for your help!

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, DarlingandtheGerman said:

Hi, hello!

I’m traveling with my husband and my in-laws at the end of August and trying to land the best thing for us to do. I was originally planning on Paradise Beach with the pay-as-you-go option. My husband and I did that together back in 2019 and LOVED it (taco truck, yay!), but I’m reading that they are really trying to push the All-Inclusive, but that’s not really what I’m looking for. None of us really drink or eat that much.

My questions are: how often does Paradise Beach actually sell-out for the non AI people? There are five ships in port that day, including ours, but all seem to be under 3,000 people and we’re the first one in.

Are there other beach plus pool options in Cozumel that are pay-as-you-go? Or just generally places that are more budget friendly than $50/$60+ per person.

Thanks for your help!

Are you looking for any activities- water or massages besides the pool? Which pier are you at? Do you need a sandy beach, snorkeling?

Edited by c-leg5

On 6/13/2024 at 10:49 PM, c-leg5 said:

Are you looking for any activities- water or massages besides the pool? Which pier are you at? Do you need a sandy beach, snorkeling?

Hi! I believe we’re at the International Pier, we’ll be on Independence of the Seas. Don’t necessarily need activities, but don’t mind if they are there. Would prefer access to a sandy beach 🙂 Thanks for your help!

21 hours ago, DarlingandtheGerman said:

Hi! I believe we’re at the International Pier, we’ll be on Independence of the Seas. Don’t necessarily need activities, but don’t mind if they are there. Would prefer access to a sandy beach 🙂 Thanks for your help!

Yes you are most likely at International. 

No sandy beaches close by.

Here is a thread with general overview

You could probably message Paradise Beach on the day to see if there is room. It isn’t somewhere we frequent as a couple unless we have grandkids in tow so can’t really guess how busy it is these days. I haven’t heard many reports of people being turned away recently. 
PAYG:

I would look at Buccanos website and reviews, north of town for small beach, pool and good food and small cover charge credited to food and drink.

Palancar if you need sandy beech but no pool. I believe they have a charge for loungers - it has been a long time since we were there and we only used table and chairs. 

Money bar or Sky reef - no actual beech just sandy area and no pool. 

Budget friendly AI: Del Mar but read website carefully- very small, no beech, small pool, tapas meals, no transport costs.

Happy to try and answer any specific questions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2024 at 10:11 PM, c-leg5 said:

ou could probably message Paradise Beach on the day to see if there is room. It isn’t somewhere we frequent as a couple unless we have grandkids in tow so can’t really guess how busy it is these days. I haven’t heard many reports of people being turned away recently.

You know far more about all things Cozumel beach club than I do but FWIW...

I check on our Paradise Beach AI reservation for next month every so often and check the reservation calendar on their website and there are already a couple dates in July that say "SOLD OUT." Doesn't look like it happens often though.

Edited by OCSC Mike

On 6/15/2024 at 10:11 PM, c-leg5 said:

Palancar if you need sandy beech but no pool. I believe they have a charge for loungers - it has been a long time since we were there and we only used table and chairs. 

it's now $20 pp.

June 2024

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3013301-enchanted-princess-review-june-1-2024-western-caribbean-with-food-pics-dailies-and-more/page/2/#comment-67514546

November 2023

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2976841-2023-thanksgiving-on-seascape-fantastica-experience-menus-dailies-etc-first-time-on-msc/page/3/#comment-66543137

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Yes they have charged for loungers and umbrellas for many years ( I think it used to be $15) unless you hit a slow day but we just take tables and chairs. We have never stayed a whole day at Palancar always part of a drop-in.

I think @blue_water and I have similar memories of Palancar of the past. Nice beach, reasonable food but unfortunately has become much busier, expensive and touristy - good for business but not the same ambience. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Yes they have charged for loungers and umbrellas for many years ( I think it used to be $15)

not before the pandemic, though. Our first time there after the pandemic was last November, and that's when we first discovered the charge.

We still like it - it's nowhere near as busy as some beach clubs in Cozumel, and it's still a lovely, sandy beach with clear, shallow-ish water.

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not before the pandemic, though. Our first time there after the pandemic was last November, and that's when we first discovered the charge.

We still like it - it's nowhere near as busy as some beach clubs in Cozumel, and it's still a lovely, sandy beach with clear, shallow-ish water.

It has been years since we went to Palancar- when it was further than the majority of cruisers wanted to travel routinely. I would guess our last visit was getting on for 10 years ago and they were certainly charging for loungers then reportedly.

It is possible that perhaps you could strike a deal back then and perhaps the charge is now more mandatory?

Is it charged as an entrance fee? Is there any food and beverage credit? $20pp (including children?) with no credit is excessive for Cozumel. As I recall it used to be $15 for two loungers and an umbrella but again that was a long time ago. We just had table and chairs for free, drink and snacks and moved on. I am surprised if land visitors are willing to pay that.

We avoided Buccanos on cruise ship visits for several years because of their discriminatory pricing for cruisers but happy to report they have seen sense now and treat everybody equal.

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Is it charged as an entrance fee?

yes, they now have a cashier in the front who gives you an armband

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Is there any food and beverage credit?

no, but they brought us a "welcome drink" pp this time. Wasn't great.

I wish they included wifi in the $20. I think that it would be reasonable to expect either food credit or wifi, or both in the entrance fee.

But, perhaps, that's why they are not crowded anymore (not that they were crowded in 2019). $60 for 5 people taxi, $20 pp, and $60 to get back is quite pricy, especially without any food and/or wifi.

6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, they now have a cashier in the front who gives you an armband

no, but they brought us a "welcome drink" pp this time. Wasn't great.

I wish they included wifi in the $20. I think that it would be reasonable to expect either food credit or wifi, or both in the entrance fee.

But, perhaps, that's why they are not crowded anymore (not that they were crowded in 2019). $60 for 5 people taxi, $20 pp, and $60 to get back is quite pricy, especially without any food and/or wifi.

Thanks for the update, certainly more than we would want to pay for a few hours at the beach before snacks. 

Taxi fares seem to have really sky rocketed as well. I still wonder how official these fares are from the ports and what the charge would be on the official tarifa in the car ( if they can find it!).

• Like 1