Should I cancel and lose $1400 or go and risk regretting it?

4 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

As an aside, I am not that worried about getting Covid.  More just worried about being so far from home for so long with just me and my kid.  

It is a legitimate concern. What happens to your child if you are hospitalized or otherwise unable to care for him?

I expect your insurance has a provision for returning minor children. Check now so you know how it will be handled. 

17 hours ago, Babr said:

It is a legitimate concern. What happens to your child if you are hospitalized or otherwise unable to care for him?

I expect your insurance has a provision for returning minor children. Check now so you know how it will be handled. 

We have extra travel insurance I actually just purchased for this trip that lasts a year because Carrnival didn't offer insurance. It actually wasn't very expensive for a year long travel/medical policy. If something happened to me, I would assume he would just come with me to the hospital and my husband could fly out. We are lucky in that my husband is a physician so normally we don't have to worry about anything minor on vacation.  We have had stomach viruses, a broken toe (husband in Scotland falling down stairs at the castle we were staying at), a twisted ankle from falling through a medieval bridge when wood broke (me), food poisoning, colds, kidney stone (me), etc. and never had to visit a hospital. My husband even removed my son's stitches one trip because he busted his head open a few days before we left.  He took surgical scissors with him. 

But if I got sick, my son would be NO HELP.  He is very easy to travel with because he is super easy going, but along with that goes that he is a bit of a space cadet.  He is just always talking about physics or flags or some other something that is going through his mind and not paying any attention to the world around him. You know "Sheldon"?  Literally, that's my kid except that my kid has a better personality. Down to even loving flags and theoretical physics.  He wants to be an astro physicist when he grows up. Very smart about very complex scientific issues, but no help on common sense matters. He has lost a dozen or more pair of glasses and I have to remind him to shower and wear deodorant, but he can talk your ear off about things 99 percent of adults know nothing about.    

Off to the dentist. FX it goes well. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The extra insurance was the one I was referring to. Am Ex Platinum credit card coverage will be of no use to you on this trip. It is secondary with a non-contribution clause.

Your son sounds like an amazing young man. Enjoy your trip together.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

am going through the same thing now.  Very back lower tooth had a root canal and older crown.  It was sensitive at times.

I was just diagnosed with Resorption on my one crown (still has root) Look that one up. I had never heard of it. LOL I was going out of town for 5 weeks and will have it pulled when I get home. Doesn’t hurt to chew, but gum is tender to the touch. It’s on the bottom, 2nd from back, so I’m just leaving the space. I figured since my bottom teeth are a bit crooked, maybe they will straighten up a little with that space…🤣And at my age, I don’t care.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

We have extra travel insurance I actually just purchased for this trip that lasts a year because Carrnival didn't offer insurance. It actually wasn't very expensive for a year long travel/medical policy. If something happened to me, I would assume he would just come with me to the hospital and my husband could fly out. We are lucky in that my husband is a physician so normally we don't have to worry about anything minor on vacation.  We have had stomach viruses, a broken toe (husband in Scotland falling down stairs at the castle we were staying at), a twisted ankle from falling through a medieval bridge when wood broke (me), food poisoning, colds, kidney stone (me), etc. and never had to visit a hospital. My husband even removed my son's stitches one trip because he busted his head open a few days before we left.  He took surgical scissors with him. 

But if I got sick, my son would be NO HELP.  He is very easy to travel with because he is super easy going, but along with that goes that he is a bit of a space cadet.  He is just always talking about physics or flags or some other something that is going through his mind and not paying any attention to the world around him. You know "Sheldon"?  Literally, that's my kid except that my kid has a better personality. Down to even loving flags and theoretical physics.  He wants to be an astro physicist when he grows up. Very smart about very complex scientific issues, but no help on common sense matters. He has lost a dozen or more pair of glasses and I have to remind him to shower and wear deodorant, but he can talk your ear off about things 99 percent of adults know nothing about.    

Off to the dentist. FX it goes well. 

His old is your son? He sounds like my nephew, who’s a freshman st college this year, his mom was very worried about the glasses, tooth brushing and showering. He’s a physics major, a self proclaimed geek, very thin, pale, allergies requiring carrying a bag, loves chess. But he’s very well traveled (his parents are in their 50’s and retired, just got back from Dubai with dad), I think he’s matured and would actually be helpful at this point.

• Like 1

UT dentists were not much help. They took xrays but could not tell anything from the xrays and would not remove the crown. So, now I have an appointment on Tuesday with an endodontist to remove crown and see what is going on. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

His old is your son? He sounds like my nephew, who’s a freshman st college this year, his mom was very worried about the glasses, tooth brushing and showering. He’s a physics major, a self proclaimed geek, very thin, pale, allergies requiring carrying a bag, loves chess. But he’s very well traveled (his parents are in their 50’s and retired, just got back from Dubai with dad), I think he’s matured and would actually be helpful at this point.

Yeah, that sounds like an older version of my son down to the very thin and pale. He's going into the sixth grade. Almost 12.  He is very, very smart and literally currently reading my husband's college physics textbooks but can't keep track of anything. He wouldn't even remember to shower if I didn't remind him.    

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, Eli_6 said:

You know how when you go to a buffet and you see lots of yummy things and put a bunch on your plate, but when you sit down you can't actually eat everything you put on your plate?  I think I did the same thing with traveling. 

We just got back from an 8-day cruise to Italy on the Legend. It was fine except for I came home with Covid and I didn't sleep well because of noise from something related to the ship. (I was in the Vista suite on deck 4 and every time we docked--which was every day save 1 since we only had 1 sea day--I would get woken up early with some weird noise and vibrations.  Could even feel it with ear plugs in.) I am supposed to leave on July 16th to fly with my older son to Australia and then take a 15 day cruise on the Splendor to Australia, Indonesia, and Singapore.  Then I fly home from Singapore the long way (through Manchester, England), promptly have to get my kids ready to start school, and then leave about a week later leave to fly to London again. take my Mom on an 8-day cruise to Denmark and Norway. 

I am feeling exhausted rather than excited. Granted, it may be because I have Covid.  But what if I get Covid again after my Splendor sailing?  I can't back out on my Mom going on the Scandy cruise. (It is Princess out of Southampton.) It might killer her. She's been looking forward to this trip for too long. (Lifelong dream to go to Denmark where her Dad is from.) But I can cancel the Splendor sailing which is probably far more exhausting as I will literally be going around the globe.  It would cost me about $1400-something.  However, I know my older son would be very disapointed. (Younger son and husband are going to Colorado fishing for a week during this time. Older son and I have no interest in that.) The plane tickets were purchased with miles so I will have about 400k miles stuck in singapore airlines and another 400k stuck in United--both are biz class--but at least it is just miles and not money and I can always use them later.  The $1400-something is 50 percent of the room cost.   I have to make up my mind in the next week.  What would you do?  I was super excited about this a month ago and now I just feel tired. Really tired. But, IDK, maybe in another month when I no longer have Covid I won't feel so tired...  

Just go!!  Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda <<< Just do it! You will have plenty of time to think about everything when you get back!! Have great time! Enjoy every minute/hour/day of this adventure! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I was just diagnosed with Resorption on my one crown (still has root) Look that one up. I had never heard of it. LOL I was going out of town for 5 weeks and will have it pulled when I get home. Doesn’t hurt to chew, but gum is tender to the touch. It’s on the bottom, 2nd from back, so I’m just leaving the space. I figured since my bottom teeth are a bit crooked, maybe they will straighten up a little with that space…🤣And at my age, I don’t care.

That was an interesting read.   

When I had the problem with my tooth that required bone grafts and an implant, I tried to convince my dentist to let me go without the tooth because the toothless area did not show. He said that the upper tooth could start 'growing' because it has nothing to bite down on.

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

UT dentists were not much help. They took xrays but could not tell anything from the xrays and would not remove the crown. So, now I have an appointment on Tuesday with an endodontist to remove crown and see what is going on. 

Ugh!!!   Crossing fingers for you.  Did your dentist at least put you on an antibiotic?

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Yeah, that sounds like an older version of my son down to the very thin and pale. He's going into the sixth grade. Almost 12.  He is very, very smart and literally currently reading my husband's college physics textbooks but can't keep track of anything. He wouldn't even remember to shower if I didn't remind him.    

I had assumed that your son was in high school or going off to college.  Lucky boy!!!

He sounds like my grandson, who is also a rising 6th grader.  Small for his age, and his hand writing is illegible to me, but he is smart and loves to read.  He absorbs random facts like water on a cotton cloth, and he talks non-stop!  He is not a geek, but then again, he can be. However, he is more interested in going to Disney World than half way around the world. I think.  I've never offered him a cruise to Australia/New Zealand. 😀 His choice for fall break will be Disney, or a cruise to the Caribbean.  

• Like 1

Cruise insurance is pretty reasonably priced for all that it covers. It's always a good idea to buy it, just in case. With the cruise line's premium insurance, no reason is needed. You can just cancel anytime for any reason. It's a good investment. 

3 hours ago, DianneMarie said:

Cruise insurance is pretty reasonably priced for all that it covers. It's always a good idea to buy it, just in case. With the cruise line's premium insurance, no reason is needed. You can just cancel anytime for any reason. It's a good investment. 

They didn't offer cruise insurance for this cruise when I booked. Not sure if it was because I booked after the 90-day mark or because it is an australian cruise.  I purchased independent insurance for medical/emergency.

• Like 1