When Venezia stops in Bermuda for 3 days

Posted (edited)

We have been on many Carnival cruises, but none where the ship is in the same port the entire cruise.  We have an upcoming cruise booked where Venezia is in Bermuda for 3 days in a row.  The way it is listed on the itenerary (pasted below) makes me think we can come and go from the ship anytime within that 3-day timeframe (but I could be wrong).  I will call carnival to find out for sure, but I'm curious if others have had this experience, how it worked?  Were there certain hours you could get on/off the ship? 

But more importantly, I'm curious what types of activities/excursions you planned?  We really like "dayuse" golf and/or spa resorts, but I'm not finding any available.  We've never been to Bermuda before and I'm having a hard time planning for the (nearly) 3 days we are there.  I was surprised that there are very few Carnival sponsored excursions as well.  I am also reading the Bermuda "port of call" board, but this situation is a bit unique - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

image.png.545d1c324d0eb5d4b8da983ce593d06c.png

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 2

Yes, the ship will act as a hotel for the time you are there. No, there really aren't any hotels where you can purchase a day pass in Bermuda. More information can be found on the Bermuda ports of call board.

• Like 4

I've been to Bermuda a lot, most recently last week.

Typically, you can leave the ship when you arrive and there's no "all-aboard" until the ship leaves the island....meaning you can find some Bermuda friends and crash at their house for two nights..well, maybe not.

Bermuda is super-safe and very approachable, but not a lot of nightlife.

I'd recommend the following:

Day 1: Wild West kayak excursion - guided kayaking around mangroves and get some swimming in.  Water is beautiful and maybe you get to see some sea turtles too.  Come back to King's Wharf and walk around town and maybe go Frog and Onion for local brew and some bites.

Day 2: get to St George's via ferry and go to Tobacco Bay.  It's a beautiful protected cove area with nearby bar and restaurant.  Go early so you can get a good spot on the beach.  Thereafter, walk around town, maybe go to nearby Swizzle Inn for rum punch and other food.

Day 3: everyone needs to visit Horseshoe Bay, so take a $7/pp each way shuttle van right off the cruise ship and do the beach in the morning.  Come back and enjoy sail away back to the US.

• Like 9

I did a similar itinarary on Ecstasy some years ago out of Charleston. It was wonderful. Yes, you can come and go as you please - you can stay out all night if you wish. One of my favorite cruises and I keep planning to get back there but Carnival doesn't do many cruises to Bermuda and I don't really like NCL so haven't been back since...2017? Can't remember exactly.

• Like 2

My friend used to live in Bermuda so I would get off when the ship docked and come back 2 days later before we went home.

Elbow Beach had a day pass but it was expensive with too many restrictions.  You could eat in the restaurant during certain hours only but it was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The best thing is to take the ferry to Hamilton and explore on your own at your own pace.

It's totally different than the Caribbean and you will never be grabbed to buy stuff.  It's not allowed.

Horseshoe Bay is beautiful and Hog Penny in Hamilton is the oldest pub in Bermuda (both are great).

I've been going there for over 40 years (land trips and cruises) and it's definitely one of my most favorite places to visit.

• Like 3

About 20 years ago, I had a two day port call in Kings Wharf and then one night in Hamilton (or the other way around).  My cousin had a time share down there, and we spent one night at his place.  No problem!

• Like 2

I visited the island with one overnight on a Celebrity repositioning cruise in 2012. There are some nice shops in the Kings Wharf area just a short stroll off the ship. We especially enjoyed the Dockyard Glassworks, watching the artisans blow glass in the traditional way to create decorative items that are on sale in their shop. The second day we took a sightseeing excursion to Hamilton; it’s lovely.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, carol louise said:

I visited the island with one overnight on a Celebrity repositioning cruise in 2012. There are some nice shops in the Kings Wharf area just a short stroll off the ship. We especially enjoyed the Dockyard Glassworks, watching the artisans blow glass in the traditional way to create decorative items that are on sale in their shop. The second day we took a sightseeing excursion to Hamilton; it’s lovely.

Unfortunately, the Glassworks has closed.

• Thanks 2

My husband and I will also be on this sailing!  I have only been to Bermuda on a 4 day before, so really looking forward to this one. 

We have things planned, but we will be with a group of others, and someone in our group planned our excursions. You can look for catamaran boat rides, and since staying overnight, you can look for a sunset one. I also know that many people take the public buses/shuttles to the beach.  

• Like 2

We were in Bermuda on a different cruise line on April 30, May 1 & 2 of this year. Here is a snippet about our experience in Bermuda from my review. We never went to Horseshoe Bay as we had been there before but I do recommend it. You can find the ferry schedule at https://www.bermuda.com/transportation/sea-express-ferry-service/schedule/

Bermuda - Beautiful!! We were so lucky that we had great weather. It was hot but not uncomfortable hot. We experienced beautiful beach weather. We took the ferry to St Georges and walked around a bit. We then walked to Tobacco Bay and stayed for a while. The water was a little cool but was refreshing from the sun. I forgot how expensive Bermuda was. It was $60 for two beach loungers and an umbrella. At Tobacco Bay we got mozzarella sticks and fries for $19. The 10 ounce can of beers were $9. We decided to take a cab back to the main part of town instead of walking. We were going to go to the Whitehorse Tavern but the cabbie suggested Wahoo's so we went there for a late lunch. It was a few doors down from Whitehorse. The food was very good but, again, it was expensive. We tried the Bone Fish Bar & Grill at the dockyard also and it was good. When in St Georges try to take the ferry back. We decided to take the bus back since we wanted to stay later then the last ferry and what a nightmare. We had to take the bus from St Georges to Hamilton. When we got to Hamilton there was a bunch of people waiting for the bus to St Georges. It was 5:30 and the ferry from Hamilton to the dockyard was not until 7:30. A bus never came so we ended up taking a mini van for $10pp. I never realized how far St G was to the dockyard. Anyway, we all had a good time in the mini van. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've gone to Bermuda several times, most recent as of week before last. However we stopped going to Bermuda with Carnival because they were using lifeboats as tenders vs docking. This happened twice with Carnival so we started going there with NCL where we were guaranteed a dock. (NCL & Celebrity have port priority in Bermuda). We love the island.

Day 1: I would go to St. Georges one day, then take a taxi to Clearwater Beach while there.  St. Georges is fantastic. You can eat at Sunjammers at Clearwater Beach or at The Wharf in St Georges. The Wharf is our favorite. Lots of people like White Horse and Wahoos in St Georges. They're good but The Wharf is much better.

Day 2, I would do your shopping at the Dockyard early in the day when it's not crowded, then head to Jobsons Cove near Tobacco Bay and enjoy that beach. Jobsons Cove is beautiful. Then stop at Woody's for a fish sandwich on your way back to the Dockyard and also the seaglass beach. Once you're back at Dockyard, hop on the ferry to Hamilton and check out the town. Hamilton is a neat town.

Day 3: Grab a taxi and explore a little bit. Ride up to the lighthouse, stop at Horseshoe Bay Beach, go to the Aquarium, just see the island. Or, ride back to St Georges and watch the public dunking at 1pm.

Unfortunately you're not there on Wednesday to experience Harbor Nights in Hamilton. 

• Like 1

One very strong recommendation:  My wife loves to shop, and I just hang out waiting for her.  I discovered a local beverage, canned, called Dark and Stormy.  Amazing!

• Like 2