MSC Seashore Review - 6-9-24 to 9-16-24 - Ocean Cay, Costa Maya, Cozumel

wgeddings

We went on this same cruise a couple of month ago.  See my full review for that cruise here - 

This review will build on that one and compare the differences.   

Knowing how the terminal drop off and parking worked helped us avoid a lot of the frustration of last time.   Getting through security was a breeze and checking in was VERY fast and efficient.  We got onboard about noon and our cabin was already ready so we put down our carry on stuff and enjoyed a nice lunch.   First thing to note is that despite what the MSC rules say, I was able to bring 2 12 packs of diet soda onboard.  Security said nothing about it (1 was for me and 1 for DW) and even joked about it not being beer.   That saved me about $91 in paying $4.13 per soda!  We had gotten upgraded to a balcony cabin on the Deck 15.  Since the buffet was on Deck 16, we only had to walk up 1 flight of stairs and thus avoided the thrice cursed Seashore elevators.   

We wanted to just relax and take it easy on this cruise so no excursions, no wild plans for being ashore.  I watched lots of movies on my IPad and wife read 4 books.  Just what we wanted.  In our cabin, the TV was much larger than last time and I learned that the HDMI ports were active.  So I was able to connect a screen mirroring dongle that I had to the TV and watch some of my things on the TV.  That was nice and a first since usually the HDMI inputs are turned off.  Last time we had a balcony cabin, there were smokers on one side of us and lots of noise but this time, it was quiet and peaceful.   

The food was not as good this time.  It was still better than some lines we have been on but just not as good as last MSC cruise for some reason.  The entertainment (shows) was a far cry from the incredible shows last cruise.  Same shows but different performers and they were just not as good but they did improve with each show.   In the MDR, service was worse and the food a bit lackluster.  They were not rude or anything but just not as friendly as prior cruises nor did they remember little things (like having iced tea for DW).  Similarly, our cabin steward was okay but did not shine.  For example, he seldom remembered to put a bath mat or washcloths in the room.  As far as the cabin itself, my fan (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BXP475T1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) has been incredible.  It is almost silent and moves enough air to keep the cabin really cool (or DW would say cold) which is how I like it.  Could not be more pleased with that fan. 

Now, some bad points. 

• There was a new cruise director and he was less entertaining than last cruise. We did not care but just noting it. 
  • Elevators on MSC Seashore are awful.  The so-called "smart" elevators simply do not work and frustrated everyone.  Thankfully we only needed the elevators once or twice a day but MSC needs to completely rework this.  Carnival Horizon uses smart elevators that are quick and do work so I know it is possible.  
  • MDR ice.  They have the "good" ice (the chewy kind) but only a few places and many times the machine was out of ice.  More dispensers are needed in the MDR and around the pools and they need to be sure they work. 
  • Ice cream - there were only 2 places to get ice cream during limited times and it had to be hand-served by an MSC employee.  So long lines and much frustration.  Both machines apparently broke so the crew person had to hand scoop ice cream from buckets and the flavors were not good (banana? coffee?).  
  • MDR changes - on embarkation day, the process for trying to change your table or dining time is pure chaos.  Worse, the people who take your request never respond that it was approved or not.  I found success with going to the Restaurant Manager the 2nd day and he worked things out quickly and efficiently.  His name is Pasquale and he was outstanding and accommodating so may kudos to him!  
  • Bartenders - I think MSC has some of the rudest bartenders I have encountered.  Not only to me but everyone else I saw them interact with.  They ignored people (a simple "be with you in a second" would have been nice) or do all that they can to avoid having serve guests.  After all, they are getting a guaranteed 18% tip so it shows in their complete lack of interest.  Another reason I hate mandatory tipping.  
  • Disembarkation - This is a total goat roping.  It was a disaster last time and was similarly a disaster this time.  Basically the crew all run and hide and it is a free for all to try to get off the ship.   maybe it is different if you chose to check bags and wait but you have to be out of your cabin by 7:00 and they expect you to wait in various locations until your designated time (like 10:30).   If carrying your bags off, like we do, it is just a madhouse.  Some signs or helpful crew would make a huge difference. 
  • Horrid English skills - Almost no one in the crew actually spoke English or understood it.  You would ask for simple things (like soy sauce) and they were totally clueless.  You can request something, they will smile and nod then totally ignore whatever you requested.  I don't speak their language but, then again, I am not being paid to try to accommodate them. MSC should ensure that someone is near most places that is able to speak and understand English and that crew can quickly get that person. 

Overall, it was a good cruise for what we wanted.  The price was good, the cabin excellent and the other things were adequate.  Although we spent 2 days at Ocean Cay, I noticed nothing different although I saw some area under construction so I will hope they continue to improve it.  DW said that the water at Ocean Cay was about perfect.  

One final note - If you stop in Costa Maya, be sure to go to Mahajual. It is a $4 cab ride (per person) and a wonderful place.  We loved the Krazy Lobster were it was $2 sodas, $5 mixed drinks, $30 hour long massages on the beach and just about perfect. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can someone explain how the smart elevators work? We are booked for a short getaway next April on Seashore, so I want to make sure I understand how they work.

4 hours ago, wgeddings said:

• Horrid English skills - Almost no one in the crew actually spoke English or understood it.  You would ask for simple things (like soy sauce) and they were totally clueless.  You can request something, they will smile and nod then totally ignore whatever you requested.  I don't speak their language but, then again, I am not being paid to try to accommodate them. MSC should ensure that someone is near most places that is able to speak and understand English and that crew can quickly get that person. 

About languages, where did crew come from?

Where did you find problems? restaurants? bars? cabins?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

Can someone explain how the smart elevators work? We are booked for a short getaway next April on Seashore, so I want to make sure I understand how they work.

The elevators do not have up or down buttons for you to push.  Instead there is a keypad where you press the deck you wish to go to, and press it once for each member of your party.  The pad then tells you which elevator will stop for you, and approximately how long.  The problems arise because many/most people press on,y once, even though there may be 4-8 people in their party.  The elevator stops, and there is not enough room, because others on previous stops had more people than the times they pushed.  Or the elevator does not stop because it is already full.

Or the elevator stopped and people who did not push the floor get in… ut they are. It going to any of the decks pushed.  There are no buttons inside the elevators to choose floors.  So people who jump into any elevator that stops have no idea where it is going, and can’t choose the floor they want to go to.  
  So, it works great if people read the instructions.  
  There was a reviewer on a Carnival ship with the smart elevators who reported a couple on day 8 of a 10 day cruise, standing at the elevators asking ‘Is this elevator going up?  Well, what goes up must come down…’. EM

IMG_0254.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

3 months?

What are you asking?  If you ask if I cruised same ship and itinerary on March 31 and June 9, then yes, just as I said. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, umpisoccer said:

How was the beach at Krazy Lobster?  On video's the beach area didn't look that great with a lot of seaweed and grass. 

The beach was there but not many good beach area in Mahajual.  There are sandy stretches (some more than others) then sandbags and ramps down to the water.  There is often seaweed along the beach/swimming area but they try to remove regularly.  Tides or winds can change how much is there.  If you want to layout on a beach, most of Mahajual would probably not be good for that.  If you want to sit by the ocean in chairs on the sand and eat and drink while some (especially kids) swim in the ocean, it is great.  

4 hours ago, alserrod said:

About languages, where did crew come from?

Where did you find problems? restaurants? bars? cabins?

Crew was from all over but mostly Philippines area, India, and such.  Problems were everywhere really.  All the places you mentioned.  Waiters in MDR would nod when you ask them something and smile as if they understand but then no telling if you would get what you requested or get correct information.  Guest services (which we avoided this trip) is notoriously horrid on MSC ships and while you would think MSC would prioritize English skills there, they do not.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wgeddings said:

What are you asking?  If you ask if I cruised same ship and itinerary on March 31 and June 9, then yes, just as I said. 

The title...

"MSC Seashore Review - 6-9-24 to 9-16-24"

...will this be a review of a 3 month cruise? 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

EssiesMom explained it somewhat except on Seashore it gives no idea how long till the elevator will arrive.  The theory discussed is correct and is similar to how it works on Carnival Horizon (other ship we were on with smart elevators).  It was efficient and effective.  On Seashore, it was neither.  Obviously it is programmed and the difference in MSC and Carnival programming is painfully evident.  

The problems EssiesMom mentioned were some standard issues on MSC and Carnival.  However, on MSC people will press the button for a floor then become frustrated and decide to walk.  So the elevator stopping on floors with no one waiting slows everything down.  Also, kids will just push buttons and parents often do not stop them.  Or 1 person will repeatedly push the button over and over in the belief that if the elevator “thinks” it is full then it will come quicker.  Perhaps one big difference from Carnival Hirizon is that Yacht Club butlers have an override card that allows them to immediately summon an elevator thus causing those of us “po folks” to wait even longer.  Finally, on Horizon usually all elevators in a bank would be in service but on Seashore there seemed to seldom be more than 1 elevator per bank working.  

add to that the fact that there are no instructions to read, it is quite a mess.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The title...

"MSC Seashore Review - 6-9-24 to 9-16-24"

...will this be a review of a 3 month cruise? 😉

No, that is what we call a typo.  😃.  It was a 7 night cruise 6-9-24 to 6-16-24.  Sorry for any confusion 

Wow!  Thanks ya’ll for the detailed info on the elevators.  Sounds like a headache.  I go on vaca to relax, including my brain. 🤕

Good thing we are able to take the stairs.  Hubby will get tired of them, but I will just tell him I’ll be waiting on him…and probably on my 2nd drink before he gets his first. 🤪😂

• Haha 2

We were on the same cruise and I agree on every point you made.  Bars were bad, understaffed, generally unfriendly bartenders (a few were great, and I made sure to go back to them and tip extra).  Dave was meh, lacked energy for a cruise director.  The elevators were a disaster.  My least favorite part was the disembarkation.  The "express" disembarkation should be by reservation and ONLY those that reserved a spot allowed.  There were probably 5:1 without bags in that line meaning they likely checked their bags and decided to try to go around the system.  It was chaos.  This was our first MSC cruise and I don't remember Carnival being as chaotic.  Also, does CBP not check anything anymore asides from passport facial recognition?  I feel like I could have brought anything ashore and they just waved everyone through.  

• Thanks 1

We were on this cruise and went to the Krazy Lobster. There was absolutely NO seaweed in the water. According to one of the employees, a crew comes in the morning to remove the seaweed. We got there around 10ish and left around 3. It was a beautiful day at the beach and the water was beautiful. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 10:48 AM, wgeddings said:

Elevators on MSC Seashore are awful.  The so-called "smart" elevators simply do not work and frustrated everyone.  Thankfully we only needed the elevators once or twice a day but MSC needs to completely rework this.  Carnival Horizon uses smart elevators that are quick and do work so I know it is possible.  

Is it the elevators do not work as designed or is it that people do not know how to use them?  From what I am reading it appears as if they work exactly as designed. 

On 6/17/2024 at 10:48 AM, wgeddings said:

Disembarkation - This is a total goat roping.  It was a disaster last time and was similarly a disaster this time.  Basically the crew all run and hide and it is a free for all to try to get off the ship.   maybe it is different if you chose to check bags and wait but you have to be out of your cabin by 7:00 and they expect you to wait in various locations until your designated time (like 10:30). 

I believe this is called "self disembarkation" - that means you are own your own.  If you choose to do that, why would you also be expecting help from a crew member?  I am confused as we know what a tremendous amount of work it is for the crew to get the ship turned around and ready for the new guest.  Just what was it that you needed the crew's help with?  And yes, every cruise ship I've been on has wanted people out of their cabins and have provided places throughout the ship where you could wait until your baggage number was called before departing?  What was your expectation?  

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Is it the elevators do not work as designed or is it that people do not know how to use them?  From what I am reading it appears as if they work exactly as designed. 

I believe this is called "self disembarkation" - that means you are own your own.  If you choose to do that, why would you also be expecting help from a crew member?  I am confused as we know what a tremendous amount of work it is for the crew to get the ship turned around and ready for the new guest.  Just what was it that you needed the crew's help with?  And yes, every cruise ship I've been on has wanted people out of their cabins and have provided places throughout the ship where you could wait until your baggage number was called before departing?  What was your expectation?  

We are Diamond so we exit our cabin by 8am on disembarkation day. And, whether we have traveled to port or it is close to home, we go have breakfast and then head up to the pool deck to relax. We wait until the last calls to disembark and then leisurely make our way to the gangway. It is mind boggling why people would hurry to get off so quickly. Seems to defeat the purpose of a vacation.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mark C. said:

We were on the same cruise and I agree on every point you made.  Bars were bad, understaffed, generally unfriendly bartenders (a few were great, and I made sure to go back to them and tip extra).  Dave was meh, lacked energy for a cruise director.  The elevators were a disaster.  My least favorite part was the disembarkation.  The "express" disembarkation should be by reservation and ONLY those that reserved a spot allowed.  There were probably 5:1 without bags in that line meaning they likely checked their bags and decided to try to go around the system.  It was chaos.  This was our first MSC cruise and I don't remember Carnival being as chaotic.  Also, does CBP not check anything anymore asides from passport facial recognition?  I feel like I could have brought anything ashore and they just waved everyone through.  

You are right about CBP.  Other than the facial recognition it was nothing.  Not even sniffer dogs.  😃.  It was awfully nice though to get through that process so quick.  Much improved from the old days.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeal said:

We were on this cruise and went to the Krazy Lobster. There was absolutely NO seaweed in the water. According to one of the employees, a crew comes in the morning to remove the seaweed. We got there around 10ish and left around 3. It was a beautiful day at the beach and the water was beautiful. 

I completely agree!  👍. Saw seaweed in the past so I know what the question was about and the “beach” was not what the beaches at Ocean Cay were like so I did not want to misrepresent it.  You are right though that it was a gorgeous day!  Delicious nachos, slight breeze, cheap drinks and beautiful sites.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@DaKahuna it was the elevators.  As I wrote, they work properly on Carnival Horizon and there are confused people there too.  No instructions on either ship, similar passenger learning curve so I see no difference in the human factor (or perhaps an edge to MSC).  Only difference had to be programming (saw no manufacturer so maybe different brands but doubtful). Re-read the post.  

as for debarkation, please re-read the post.  I think you overlooked a great deal.  Very different than how “carry off your own bags” debarkation is on other ships. Crew should have been maintaining order, helping line formation, providing guidance of where to go, etc. that is how it is on other lines.  

I am often surprised by others (not you) who post about how they had the grand suite and were provided a team of crew who carried them ashore in a palanquin or such.   There were others who were Yacht Club and higher who did have lots of crew assistance and special treatment but they paid a lot for it.  The vast majority of passengers were not that and are likely not reading the review so I think it is better to report actual experiences that most people are likely to encounter as opposed to what I think it “should” be or what people who paid lots to receive special treatment.  Happy for them but their experience is no help to the rank and file.  

• Like 1

There are inevitably a large number of people who do not understand the debarking groups.  They put their luggage out at night, but think they can debark with early or self debark people.  They do not understand that your luggage will not be available for you to pick up until your group is called.  Thus when you leave at the time called, you will walk past a lot of people who went down early to beat the system, and their luggage is not available yet.  It’s those people who make debarking so chaotic.  EM

• Like 3

@wgeddings  Can I beg your indulgence and ask exactly what about the elevators were no working properly?  I re-read your post and I still cannot figure out how they were malfunctioning or working contrary to how they were designed.  As I understrand it, if we are a party of two and want to go to the 15th floor, we tough the button for 15 twice and it tells us which elevator bank to wait at.  Was it not doing that?

I now understand more about your concern with disembarkation.  Even with us being in YC on Divina and with the crew trying to wrangle passengers in an orderly fashion, we found that a lot of passengers just ignored the crewmembers and did as they damn well pleased.  We had two couples simply get of the the main line and cut my wife and I off, joining our line, as we were being escorted by a butler to the gangway.  

The elevators were more user generated issues. There was no explanation on how they operated anywhere unless you were part of this forum or the Facebook groups. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 8:18 AM, Essiesmom said:

There are inevitably a large number of people who do not understand the debarking groups.  They put their luggage out at night, but think they can debark with early or self debark people.  They do not understand that your luggage will not be available for you to pick up until your group is called.  Thus when you leave at the time called, you will walk past a lot of people who went down early to beat the system, and their luggage is not available yet.  It’s those people who make debarking so chaotic.  EM

So very true.  We were on the Seashore in April and the disembark process for us was very easy and quick.  We waited until our group was called, walked off and to the luggage pickup area.  Luggage was very easy to locate.  We walked past many others who were waiting off to the side, under the watchful eye of several port staff, because they thought they could beat the system.  Mom and I had did have a little chuckle over that!

• Like 2